The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Re: The couch thread

Post by Holland Oates »

Looks like fun Jack.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Botototo
Staff Sergeant

Post by Botototo »

Tom o'Bedlam wrote:brandi

do you ever actually lift anything heavy? or are you just multi-net inter-forum know-it-all?
Uh, both.

Anon

Post by Anon »

Nice, an @ssfit C.V.!
"Anonymous. Because none of us are as cruel as all of us."

macmad
Gunny

Post by macmad »

Brandon, your CV just demonstrates that crossfit makes you mediocre at everything and good at nothing.
none of your lifts are good enough for your height, your run times are pretty slow, and your rower times are possibly
approaching average. Your snatch is good form with a light weight.
I've got no idea how you can possibly consider your 1RM's a strength, same with your grip strength unless your deadlift was double overhand on a 2" bar.
Why don't you take up an actual sport?

Botototo
Staff Sergeant

Post by Botototo »

Why don't we not talk about this?

I'm not doing CF anymore, and have bitched about it more than most, so I'm not going to make a very good target dummy.

Gary John
Gunny

Post by Gary John »

His numbers are fine. Sucks as a runner, but that's OK.

Do the 315# challenge and post it here. That seems to be a fairly easy way to measure strength times fitness.

But, I did mention your running, sucks?

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

macmad wrote:Brandon, your CV just demonstrates that crossfit makes you mediocre at everything and good at nothing.
Idunno, numbers look pretty good to me.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Really Big Strong Guy

Post by Really Big Strong Guy »

nafod wrote:
macmad wrote:Brandon, your CV just demonstrates that crossfit makes you mediocre at everything and good at nothing.
Idunno, numbers look pretty good to me.
that's what I was thinking.
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I'd say old BOTO isn't doing that bad. Now, can he demonstrate that shit on any given day? I don't think so, but it represents a bit of work to hit some of that even once. The bodyweight stuff isn't bad at all.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

Brandon Oto wrote:Why don't we not talk about this?

I'm not doing CF anymore, and have bitched about it more than most, so I'm not going to make a very good target dummy.
perhaps no longer a x-faggot, but this is the retort of a pole smoker. man up.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Anon

Post by Anon »

Boto admits to being an ex-@ssfitter on IGX, banning in 3-2-1 :butthead:

Now he just needs a bit of skin-thickening :goodman:

and a bit less spouting of knowledges and he's fit in just fine :partyman:

<<<<q
Last edited by Anon on Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Anonymous. Because none of us are as cruel as all of us."

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

brandi--

you are x-faggot cognoscenti. i believe coach is secret cattleball fan. he carries one under his shirt. how many pood is that ball?

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

Tom o'Bedlam wrote:brandi--

you are x-faggot cognoscenti. i believe coach is secret cattleball fan. he carries one under his shirt. how many pood is that ball?
that's not a cowball. It's Sarah Palin's daughter-shielding fake-preggo stomach.
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

BOTO is a punk..that said, he's not doing that bad for a guy weighing in at a buck seventy five or so.certainly on the Dave Tate suck/shit/good/great scale he's still shit but then there's only a couple people here who rise to the level of suck on that scale...(i am not one)..... a 100k power clean alongside 20 dead hang pullups is legit enough for an @fitter of his BW
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

LiftHeavyShit
Sarge

Post by LiftHeavyShit »

Brandon, your CV just demonstrates that crossfit makes you mediocre at everything and good at nothing.
none of your lifts are good enough for your height, your run times are pretty slow, and your rower times are possibly approaching average.
That's X-Shit in a nutshell. Good at nothing, suck at many things. At 175, a 220 pound bench is pretty pathetic. Maybe X-shit considers functional strength to be scaled. If someone is drowning in a flood, how do they scale the weight when they pick them up to safety? Cut off an arm or two?

And here I thought Couch would get everyone pulling 500 and change with 2 years of WOD's?
But here's the fascinating part. We can take you from a 200 pound max deadlift to a 500-750 pound max deadlift in two years while only pulling max singles four or five times a year.
Pretty fucking fascinating.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

LiftHeavyShit wrote:At 175, a 220 pound bench is pretty pathetic. Maybe X-shit considers functional strength to be scaled. If someone is drowning in a flood, how do they scale the weight when they pick them up to safety? Cut off an arm or two?
If someone's drowning in a flood, WTF good is a high bench press going to do? Now maybe the ability to do a pullup with an extra 115 LBs might come in useful when it is time to haul yourself out of the raging torrent.

LiftHeavyShit
Sarge

Post by LiftHeavyShit »

nafod wrote:
LiftHeavyShit wrote:At 175, a 220 pound bench is pretty pathetic. Maybe X-shit considers functional strength to be scaled. If someone is drowning in a flood, how do they scale the weight when they pick them up to safety? Cut off an arm or two?
If someone's drowning in a flood, WTF good is a high bench press going to do? Now maybe the ability to do a pullup with an extra 115 LBs might come in useful when it is time to haul yourself out of the raging torrent.
I was highlighting one area of weakness.

Don't get too carried away with more functional strength bullshit. If you can bench press 400 pounds, you are strong. I don't give a fuck what the functional PVC pipe throwers say. Lifting big weights makes you strong. If you need to pick someone up, PVC pipe lifting isn't going to help.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Nobody's saying it's world class, or even close. Just that it's not bad. BOTO needs a significant amount of work in certain areas, and, hilariously, they aren't the areas he's decided to work on.

macmad
Gunny

Post by macmad »

what no one else seems to have noticed is that BOTO is 6 foot tall.
If he chooses to be stick thin you can't use the excuse that the lifts are not bad for a 175pounder.
At 6 foot you should be at least 90kg/200lbs unless you're a high jumper or distance runner

The Real Rant
Anal Sadist

Post by The Real Rant »

Boto is a phag and should go back to @fit.

ab g-d

Post by ab g-d »

Shaf wrote:Nobody's saying it's world class, or even close. Just that it's not bad. BOTO needs a significant amount of work in certain areas, and, hilariously, they aren't the areas he's decided to work on.
This is afunny post, not as funny as Rant's, but none the less....

If I had to take a wild guess I would guess those numbers put him the top 10%, at worse 15%, of 21 year olds for sort of across the board general strength. The only two things I did on that list, pullups and deadlifts, I could beat him on when I was 45, so I'm not saying he's a stud or anything, but still, given the general state of the state of 21 year olds that aren't on a college team, he's way ahead of the curve.

What exactly does he need to work on that makes his current workout ridiculous?

IMO a kid who can do 15 pistols, put close to BW OH, do 20 pullups and so on is doing just fine unless he wants to compete in something really specific.

The problem with CF is not the program when done with a couple ounces of commen sense. The problem's the kool aid requirement.
Growing old is not for sissies.

"I'm just here to regulate funkyness"
James Gandolfini in The Mexican

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

BOTO, what's your resting heart rate? Max heart rate? Cholesterol? In short, how healthy are you? Are you willing to have one of the IGx docs give you a physical?
what no one else seems to have noticed is that BOTO is 6 foot tall.
If he chooses to be stick thin you can't use the excuse that the lifts are not bad for a 175pounder.
At 6 foot you should be at least 90kg/200lbs unless you're a high jumper or distance runner
Michael Phelps is 6'4", weighs 200 LBs, and swims the sprints. He must suck.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

The question the conversation raises is what is fair to expect of a 20 year old who's been dabbling in fitness for all of two years? Can anyone honestly say with certainty that he'd be better off socking away cheeseburgers and tearing a pec on the bench? What about in 30 years, when he's 50 - if he's still svelte and still running, rowing, OH squatting, etc? Aren't there plenty of really strong 50 year olds who now wish they had put a little more work into GPP along the way?

What I'm saying is that I'm with ab g-d. The biggest problem with cultfit is the BS that the prophet Cooch has delivered unto them "the one true holy spirit path to fitness" that it can redeem the souls of wayward marathoners and powerlifters at once. But when people take the same tact with regard to strength training it's just more of the same on the other side of the coin.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

BOTO's numbers aren't bad.

Keep doing what you enjoy BOTO.

That's the secret to training for life.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

nafod wrote:
Michael Phelps is 6'4", weighs 200 LBs, and swims the sprints. He must suck.
athlete v. dilletante.

brandi's a know-it-all. (as are many x-faggots.) fucking pillow biter needs to show some results before he prances around like cooch jr.