The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Re: The couch thread

Post by TerryB »

How does this happen?

Well, honestly, I have to take the blame.
No shit Sherlock. Anyone still dealing with ANYONE from Crossfit HQ in good faith deserves every screwing they get.

That said, a lawsuit certainly seems viable (fraud, tortious interference, etc). It would be interesting to see Lauren verbally defend Crossfit's fucked up methods without Glasshole's verbal diarrhea. He could worm his way through anything. She doesn't seem up to the task of explaining, with authority, the 20% slop rule.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Cave Canem wrote:
Captain Quack wrote:
Captain Quack wrote: If the fetus actually makes it out...
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,298227,00.html
New research shows that women who exercise intensively during their first trimester of pregnancy are 3.7 times more likely to miscarry than pregnant women who don't break a sweat, according to a report from the French news agency, AFP.
Then they can try to drop a barbell on it in new and different ways.
Note that all of the following self-reported miscarriages happened in the first trimester. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.
http://www.crossfitmom.com/forum/viewto ... f=12&t=629
Ok, since everyone on this site is pregnant, I already know what the anecdotal evidence will be. My mom, who is of course not a doctor or midwife, seems to be convinced that Crossfit (or more verbatim "those workouts you do") is the cause of me having 2 miscarriages in a 6-month period. I've had the repeat loss bloodwork done and everything was normal; I'm 26, healthy weight & body fat %, Crossfit and play soccer, eat very healthy for the most part and for the last couple months I've been eating Paleo (probably about 80% of the time - gotta have some yogurt, beer and chocolate every now and then). Really, it's baffling, and infuriating too, as I see my junk-food-junkie, couch potato friends get knocked up and have perfectly healthy pregnancies and babies.

Sorry for getting a little off-topic there...anyway, my first mc was at around 8-9 weeks, and the second was very early, around 5weeks. The first time I started doing Xfit mom workouts instead of regular Xfit at around 6 weeks or so. I don't think the super high intensity workouts so early would necessarily cause a miscarriage, but can they create a more hostile environment for the early early stages of the fetus?
Same thread...
Thank you Julie for your post!! I recently had a miscarriage and was 11 weeks along. It has been devastating to both my husband and I but everyday it gets a little better! I have been racking my brain to try and figure out why this happened to me, I'm so healthy and CF 3-4 times a week and in the last few weeks I have made sure to keep the intensity down, there may have been a couple times that I lifted a little heavy but felt fine. I have been blaming myself even though my doctor has told me over and over again (cause I can't stop asking her!) that it's nothing I have done or my workouts. It's nice to have support from other crossfitter moms! So thank you to all of you!
Much like rhabdo, how many are going unreported? Several more reported in this thread:
http://www.crossfitmom.com/forum/viewto ... =10&t=1825

http://crossfitknockedup.tumblr.com/pos ... 67/entry-1
I have been crossfitting since January 2, 2010. Growing up an athlete and involved in sports all my life through college, I was devastated by the fact that, 8 years later, I could not do a single pullup on my first day at crossfit - and that was all the motivation I needed to commit to the program. I was addicted after just the first week! The empowerment, community, and results have impacted my life in so many ways that I had not expected. It’s been an amazing year and a half!

A year and two months later, I had another shock regarding my body, but this time was a bit different……

I was pregnant.

Wow! And I was excited! My husband and I had been “trying” during the previous six months, gotten pregnant, and then quickly miscarried a couple of months later. But this pregnancy came immediately after the miscarriage, and we were thrilled to have been so blessed again.

Due to some anxiety over the previous miscarriage, we both decided that I should probably take off from crossfit during the first trimester. I had been going regularly, and I was nervous about losing my strength and cardio, but I knew this would be best for our child for now.
At least this one may have learned something.

The sharks may have another item for their lawsuit files....
And you just gave Andrew at CA a new research topic.

Only the first trimester? Classic signs of exercise addiction.

Jesus these cunts are stupid. Maybe we should be thankful these people are unable to breed successfully.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
As you know... at 9:24am Wednesday, August 3rd, our son Ronin was brought into this world
Whatever happened to this asswipe, it wasn't bad enough. Poor kid.

The little shit got off easy, the first two kids are named Walker and Texas Ranger.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

My 7 yo son could do a better job explaining the theory behind hip throws than this woman did talking about snatching. It's easy to critique others' form when you can't even do one good rep at 40kg.

Thanks for the vid. Now I know what I'm doing wrong on snatch. I need to shrug hard and pull the bar around. ](*,)

Jag Panzer
Gunny

Post by Jag Panzer »

Miscarriages aside, there's some startling evidence that a high-stress environment can have life-long effects on a developing fetus, working through epigenetic mechanisms.

Usually "high stress environment" means neurotic, anxious or obsessive personality traits on the part of the mother, which are closely associated with chronically elevated corticoids and stress markers. Take those same folks and add an @fit addiction and the outcome is no surprise.

What I wonder is how fucked up chronic stress and "fuck yeah I'm Paleo" nutrient restriction is making the kids that survive. Increased lifetime odds of clinical depression and a whole bag of stress-related health problems should make any prospective parent think twice.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

LMAO at Ronin!

And wow, that Lauren cunt really is a piece of shit whore

KingSchmaltzBagelHour

Post by KingSchmaltzBagelHour »

Fuck CCT Joey.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Is it wrong that I love to see these people suffer. Not the expectant mothers my gawd that's just horrible but I'm with Bats in the regard that some people are just too stupid to have kids.

And fuck JoeyCCTV stupid faggot. You lay with dogs you get fleas you stupid fuck.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

igx, where sympathy goes to die
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs

Post by Crust Bucket »

I hate all those fuckers, can't say I feel sorry for any of them.
I wish them all pain, misery, injury, VD, leprosy, anal warts and all the rest that comes with being stupid.
syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

clutch

Post by clutch »

The miscarriages are just Darwin's way of saying 'fuck you, crossfit.'

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

I don't know Joey at all, did he have a contract: an actual, signed contract, or is he just that stupid, and did of this on a verbal?

Rule 1: It's not Show Friends, it's Show Business.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

tzg
Gunny

Post by tzg »

Kind of reminds me of that series of articles I just saw with interviews of old crossfit affiliate owners. they mentioned how, when going into business with friends, you have to get everything in writing. I suppose that would go doubly so and involve lawyers, you know, if it's not a friend, you're apparently dissolving your long-standing business to merge with them, and the person you're subsuming your business under just happens to be part owner of a large, international, multi-million dollar business. A lot of stuff in writing and a lot of lawyers.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Send up the signal for the Hebrew Hammer. What say you to this super lawyer? Have they got anything to work with here? See previous post on the Prescot Xfit.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

There is a shit-ton of data that shows animals placed under high stress in early pregnancy have a greatly increased rate of spontaneous abortion. Why would you imagine humans are exempt? Exercise is fine while pregnant. High intensity is bad. Sometimes peer-reviewed research should influence your exercise decisions, contrary to what Couch says.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Schlegel wrote: Sometimes peer-reviewed research should influence your exercise decisions, contrary to what Couch says.
WHAT?!

Cultfit IS peer-reviewed! Every workout is a data point!
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Holeyfraggaroley
Gunny

Post by Holeyfraggaroley »

BobW wrote:The miscarriages are just Darwin's way of saying 'fuck you, crossfit.'
Nah, it's God seeing the zygote's soul and pulling the plug on another @fttr. God hates @ft. Or it could be that those bing bats are stupid.

lesser_rebelangel
Staff Sergeant
Location: at the intersection of undertraining & overthinking

Post by lesser_rebelangel »

Captain Quack wrote:
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled people make poor decisions and reach erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to recognize their mistakes.[1] The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their ability as above average, much higher than it actually is...
Example A.

Cuz, uh, the power in OLY is all about the shrug, ya know? Here, watch my awesome wide-stance press-out form...
Funny that you mention that because Nafod is a dem-bootlicking faggot and the product of an anal birth.
Last edited by lesser_rebelangel on Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It stinks like sex in here."

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

Lulz. Here's some stuff Lauren posted up about two weeks ago...from a different birdy this time.
Captain CrossFit - The Essay

by Lauren Jenai on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 at 6:56am

I guess it started when I decided to get off my ass and get back into the gym after several years out of the gym business and several kids later.

Two workouts in, at CrossFit Prescott, and I knew that I would not be content if I was not training folks again and if my kids were not growing up in the CrossFit environment. Joey and Andrea who own CrossFit Prescott joined me for coffee and we discussed the possibility of me opening an affiliate in Prescott. I told them that I would not proceed without their blessings and/or involvement. Joey told me that working together would likely never work if he were not in charge given his temperament. I let him know that given the scope of the project, my background, and MY temperament, the project would HAVE to be my baby. It was up to him if he could handle that or not. And so we decided to try.

Simultaneously, I had made some personal decisions to come out of my shell and make friends in Prescott. In doing so, I found CrossFit diamonds in the rough. These were great folks, held back a bit from a bad economy and lack of functional fitness! I was inspired to make a difference in these folks lives by offering an opportunity to become supremely fit and do something professionally that was rewarding. My friends not only rose to the occasion, but in turn kept me on track to pursue the things I love best - TRAINING and running a CF facility.

And then came Jolly Green! The perfect CrossFit Facility basically fell into my lap. 15,000 ft of warehouse glory was available and for sale. In passion, good people, and the perfect building, Captain CrossFit was born.

My "marketing plan". I found about 5 people who I offered to train for free if they were diligent about doing what I asked. They agreed, started working out with me and doing the Zone diet. Two months in, their bodies and minds were transformed, and I had dedicated seed clients! Of course, their transformations began to inspire interest and curiosity in their friends and family. CrossFit became such an important part of these clients lives, that they wanted more. They too wanted to become part of the Captain CrossFit team. We had about 10 people passionate about this project, committed and working towards our common goals.

As our building was in the build-out process, we held events outside the facility to show the community what CrossFit was all about. Rob Orlando came out and helped us build Atlas stones, we held a CrossFit Kids Day, and a fundraising Memorial Day workout all on separate occasions. We were building a sense of community at Captain CrossFit, offering workouts and libations!

Rogue Fitness outfitted the gym in gorgeous red and blue gear. The facility turned into a CrossFit SHRINE. I was stunned at the energy felt just standing in the building. I could tell that this was a place people would want to be a part of - it just felt good and positive and exciting.

Obviously I am blessed in that I had the resources to build such a facility. But now there was the issue of running it. Given that I grew and ran the first CrossFit gym, there is a part of me that though I knew everything. Because I had so much at stake, not only in the building and build out, but in the staff I had developed, I thought it would be best to council with folks who have actually been in the affiliate game over the last 5 years that I had not. My assistant and I traveled to LA to talk with Andy Petranek, CF LA and John Burch, CF LA THE BIZ. We loved what they were doing and were inspired to move forward using the processes they had laid out for themselves and other affiliates. Was any of the information earth shattering? NO. Was it important, YES. I firmly believe that there MUST me a system in place and good management to make a gym run well. What John and Andy were doing made perfect sense to me and challenged me to infrastructure and ideas that I would not have had otherwise.

The Challenge. Top notch facility, great staff, a good plan, now what? Joey and Andrea brought to the table about 140 clients with a $49/ month average rate. This income clearly would not support the expenses of Captain CrossFit in immediate terms. We had to get to work. I purposely over staffed the gym for two reasons. 1. My newly made trainers needed as much experience as possible and 2. I wanted clientele to feel completely cared for. Folks needed to know that this was a completely different gym experience from every level. Success for me was to come from me allowing others to shine as trainers, managers, and athletes.

Early on in the process I realized that Captain CrossFit would not afford its self at first. I looked at my lifestyle and saw that I could re purpose much of what I spent personally to Captain CrossFit. Given raising 4 babies on my own, a large portion of my income went to child care. What if I offered child care at the gym? I was already spending that money, but I could offer the service to my clients. I also had been enjoying life :) I decided to curb my excessive spending on travel, food, wine, clothes, SHOES! and put those resources towards Captain CrossFit. I understand this is not a luxury many folks have, but the point is there were some personal sacrifices I was able to make that made life better for my staff, my clients, and the business overall.

A little more than two months in business, we have increased membership to almost 200 clients. Our average monthly client rate is increasing as is the number of introductory sessions scheduled each week.

Joey and Andrea. Unfortunately through this process, Joey's initial concerns became a reality. I felt that I needed to be able to run Captain CrossFit at full steam in my own way. Joey's personality was such to create frictions for me that I found unproductive. It was a hard decision, but I decided it was best for me to let the Powells move on to something else. Joey and I are on good terms and will be friends for life. Andrea gave birth to a wonderful baby boy during this time. I am better off for having their entire family in my life. I believe they feel the same about me.

What is the point of all this? I believe that I have a lot to offer in how to create a successful CrossFit Affiliate. I also believe that much of what I have to offer will be shadowed by the fact that I come to the table with a lot of resources. This is undeniable. But these resources exist because of 15 years of building and developing CrossFit.

At the heart of success is, a passion for teaching functional movement, getting the right people on the bus, work ethic of a pitbull, building community and having a GREAT time doing all of the above.

"What is the market like in Prescott?" "What are the demographics?" "What is your marketing plan?" I say fuck all of that. CrossFit trainers are forged. CrossFit trainers forge elite fitness in their clients, CrossFit Affiliates FORGE clients from their community.

At the end of the day, if your community is better served both by increasing overall fitness levels and providing an economic opportunity in allowing people to do professionally what they love, you have success.

" I can't surrender. I don't know how!" - Captain America
Yeah, fuck a marketing plan. Steal a "friend's" clients!!! [-X

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

dead man walking wrote:igx, where sympathy goes to die
There's an old AA saying. "If you're looking for sympathy its in the dictionary. Between shit and syphillis."
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

Joey forgot his Aesop's.
Aesop for Children
THE FARMER AND THE SNAKE

A Farmer walked through his field one cold winter morning. On the ground lay a Snake, stiff and frozen with the cold. The Farmer knew how deadly the Snake could be, and yet he picked it up and put it in his bosom to warm it back to life.

The Snake soon revived, and when it had enough strength, bit the man who had been so kind to it. The bite was deadly and the Farmer felt that he must die. As he drew his last breath, he said to those standing around:

Learn from my fate not to take pity on a scoundrel.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Well, would you look at that. CJ Kim dropping some booty on Lauren's fb page.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Justin_P
Sarge

Post by Justin_P »

<-----------------My mom didn't do Crossfit :happiness:

Sassenach
ironslinger

Post by Sassenach »

Never understood what it was about owning a gym that turned up the asshole in people.
Kazuya Mishima wrote:they can pry the bacon from my cold dead hand.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Whole lot of douchbaggery everywhere you look