Won't go so far as to say I'm lucky to be alive.

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
bigpeach
Buttnugget McTwistynutz

Won't go so far as to say I'm lucky to be alive.

Post by bigpeach »

Had my post-op check up recently and have begun PT. Learning how to properly sweep, pick shit up off the floor, and put dishes away on the high shelves.
The surgeon told me I definitely wasn't faking it and that the disc he repaired was the worst he has seen in years. I assume he means worst for discs that are just herniated and otherwise OK. The bulged part of the disc didn't go straight out, but went out, up, down (bridging the vertebrae above and below the disc), and side to side. And, it was "taking on calcium from the vertebrae so it was hardening and essentially fusing the vertebrae." (Doc's words, at least I think so, because his Flip accent is hard to decipher.) He said if I had let it go that in several years, I would have lost the mobility in that joint.
So, basically it was good to finally go to someone other than a chiro for it. And, PT alone is helping the symptoms from the other 2 discs that he left alone, proving that surgery should only be used for a severe case.
Also, his report said that I am a "pleasant gentleman," so maybe the rest of it was bullshit too.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Re: Won't go so far as to say I'm lucky to be alive.

Post by Turdacious »

I've had buddies who've had similar surgery. Be careful-- early improvement doesn't always last.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Good on ya, Peach. Do your PT. Keep at it. I need some help moving my refrigerator down a flight of stairs. Can you be ready in a couple of weeks?

Topic author
bigpeach
Buttnugget McTwistynutz

Post by bigpeach »

seeahill wrote:Good on ya, Peach. Do your PT. Keep at it. I need some help moving my refrigerator down a flight of stairs. Can you be ready in a couple of weeks?
I'm good for a supervisory role. And, seeing as I'm moving the Peachette and Peachlet to a new state in April or May, I'll have to put you on the back burner.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

seeahill wrote:Good on ya, Peach. Do your PT. Keep at it. I need some help moving my refrigerator down a flight of stairs. Can you be ready in a couple of weeks?
As long as his PT allows lighting matches and throwing them at cabins-- he's probably ready now.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs

Post by Crust Bucket »

Glad things turned out well for you Peach. :cheers:

Don't listen to Seeahill he'll probably want you to move his whole damn cabin and pay you in unsold books.
syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

bigpeach wrote:Had my post-op check up recently and have begun PT. Learning how to properly sweep, pick shit up off the floor, and put dishes away on the high shelves.
The surgeon told me I definitely wasn't faking it and that the disc he repaired was the worst he has seen in years. I assume he means worst for discs that are just herniated and otherwise OK. The bulged part of the disc didn't go straight out, but went out, up, down (bridging the vertebrae above and below the disc), and side to side. And, it was "taking on calcium from the vertebrae so it was hardening and essentially fusing the vertebrae." (Doc's words, at least I think so, because his Flip accent is hard to decipher.) He said if I had let it go that in several years, I would have lost the mobility in that joint.
So, basically it was good to finally go to someone other than a chiro for it. And, PT alone is helping the symptoms from the other 2 discs that he left alone, proving that surgery should only be used for a severe case.
Also, his report said that I am a "pleasant gentleman," so maybe the rest of it was bullshit too.
Cool news. Keep dumping the weight and taking the stress off of those old-man joints, shipmate. You'll be hopping around like Madonna at the Super Bowl before you know it.
Don’t believe everything you think.

clutch

Post by clutch »

Good stuff. Now, deadlift, and build up those spinal erectors to take some load off the spine.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Now that you've been through this you should start performing surgeries on your friends and family. That's how it works.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Thatcher II

Post by Thatcher II »

Fat Cat wrote:Now that you've been through this you should start performing surgeries on your friends and family. That's how it works.
You are so fucking irresponsible, Fat Cat, you sicken me to my core. Are you even fucking serious? LISTEN UP, NUMB NUTS: IF HE DOESN'T HAVE THE APPROPRIATE CERT, HE SHOULD NOT GO AROUND OPERATING ON PEOPLE. Period.

Glad to hear you're on the mend Biggie. Sounds to me like someone can now stop scaling, can man-up to RX weights and should ramp up their intensity hitting those WODs, BIG TIME. Just saying.
It's great to be first at last

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

It's funny that you mention that because I am offering, this week only, a special certification available from the Hawaiian Thaumaturgical Union, available by messenger pigeon for $1,999. Act now and you will receive a surgical grade stone adze made from real Hawaiian lava-rock.

PM for details on how you can apply to this exciting offer.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Thatcher II

Post by Thatcher II »

Fat Cat wrote:It's funny that you mention that because I am offering, this week only, a special certification available from the Hawaiian Thaumaturgical Union, available by messenger pigeon for $1,999. Act now and you will receive a surgical grade stone adze made from real Hawaiian lava-rock.

PM for details on how you can apply to this exciting offer.
Find another rube for your bullshit distance-learning crapola, FC. I'm prepared to invest a weekend of my time in this and I'll sit an exam at the end. There ARE no shortcuts, dick features.
It's great to be first at last

Kraj 2.0
Gunny

Post by Kraj 2.0 »

bigpeach wrote:(Doc's words, at least I think so, because his Flip accent is hard to decipher.)
There's your problem right there. Filipino's make shitty doctors. Get a second opinion. Preferably from a Caucasian or a lighter-skinned Asian like a Jap or Korean. Indian would work too, but only if the other two are unavailable.

Topic author
bigpeach
Buttnugget McTwistynutz

Post by bigpeach »

Kraj 2.0 wrote:
bigpeach wrote:(Doc's words, at least I think so, because his Flip accent is hard to decipher.)
There's your problem right there. Filipino's make shitty doctors. Get a second opinion. Preferably from a Caucasian or a lighter-skinned Asian like a Jap or Korean. Indian would work too, but only if the other two are unavailable.
I have to buy my insurance online and I'm on a limited budget.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves »

Good luck with your recovery, BP. There are almost always setbacks in the recovery process (2 steps forward, 1 step back, etc) in this sort of thing, but keep at it and have patience.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Heal up, BP.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

jgmack
Gunny

Post by jgmack »

Any idea as to the cause of your disk problems, such as lifting heavy weights?

Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

If seawhale dies on Everest, we'll let you in the Fatty Wager again, though there's a bit of a penalty to negotiate for late entry.

Hymen Asshole
Staff Sergeant

Post by Hymen Asshole »

heal well peach

Topic author
bigpeach
Buttnugget McTwistynutz

Post by bigpeach »

jgmack wrote:Any idea as to the cause of your disk problems, such as lifting heavy weights?
Gross lack of athletic ability coupled with delusions of athleticism, prolonged sitting (7 hour drives are routine for work), and overweight.