What's Wrong With The NCAA

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Re: What's Wrong With The NCAA

Post by baffled »

Terry B. wrote:Saban is the devil but the football program

produced $82 million in revenue and had a profit of $45.1 million.
Plus, every game at Bryant-Denny Stadium provides Tuscaloosa an economic impact of about $25 million.
McDonald's pays their CEO $9m though the folks who take your order make a bit less than that. The NCAA is set up in the same manner.
That's not a good comparison, and you know it.

Any half-wit can run the register at McDonald's. Very few can compete at a high level in a sport that brings in millions of dollars.

I do get the point, just a shitty comparison. Let's hug.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

baffled wrote:
Terry B. wrote:Saban is the devil but the football program

produced $82 million in revenue and had a profit of $45.1 million.
Plus, every game at Bryant-Denny Stadium provides Tuscaloosa an economic impact of about $25 million.
McDonald's pays their CEO $9m though the folks who take your order make a bit less than that. The NCAA is set up in the same manner.
That's not a good comparison, and you know it.

Any half-wit can run the register at McDonald's. Very few can compete at a high level in a sport that brings in millions of dollars.

I do get the point, just a shitty comparison. Let's hug.
You obviously have some unresolved issues from your time under the golden arches. Want to talk about it here in the open?
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Never worked in a fast food establishment. I did work as an assistant manager of a pizza parlor in college. It was a chore trying to keep the drivers from showing up stoned everyday.

Service positions like that don't exactly take an advanced set of skills to get the job done.

FWIW, I'm not entirely convinced either way on the issue of paying players in college. I think there are some serious issues at hand, but I'm not sure what I think the best way to resolve them would be.
- Buck Brannaman

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

I have no idea either.

A free ride through school is worth more than the vast majority of players are worth on the "open market". The propositions to pay the players a few thousand each month wouldn't deter boosters from going after bluechip players with many, many times more than that. If you could openly pay players, it wouldn't change the landscape of the sport that much, in my opinion.

Probably the most reasonable answer would be to create a developmental league of some kind but the NFL has a nice feeder system now that they don't need to pay for and colleagues would obviously be against it.

I would rather see them look at a playoff system than spend time discussing this issue.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I'm one of the few that actually likes the BCS. I love it when, somewhere around the 6th or 7th week or so, all of the talking heads start working themselves into a frenzy over who deserves to play for the national championship.

I'm convinced a commentator, likely an ex player with all the brain damage we're learning they sustain, will have a major breakdown on national television. We lose that with a playoff.

The way I see it, unless they go to some sort of goofy assed revenue sharing model, where major programs with tons of money are involved, it could never be close to equal on the surface.

Then, like you said, you still have the issues of boosters and other behind the scenes people handing over huge sums of cash to put one program over the top.
- Buck Brannaman

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Terry B. wrote:If you could openly pay players, it wouldn't change the landscape of the sport that much, in my opinion.
No. It would change the nature of college athletics. All college athletics.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Turdacious wrote:
Terry B. wrote:If you could openly pay players, it wouldn't change the landscape of the sport that much, in my opinion.
Nature but not the landscape so much. The rich would still get richer, the big would still get bigger. Money programs would have more money than mid-majors and continue to be the most desired destinations for blue chip athletes.

Baff - I enjoy the commentary that comes with the BCS as well. However, do you realize how much time I have wasted in the past five years staring at strength of schedule ratings and wondering what a computer will do?

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Terry B. wrote:
Turdacious wrote:
Nature but not the landscape so much. The rich would still get richer, the big would still get bigger. Money programs would have more money than mid-majors and continue to be the most desired destinations for blue chip athletes.

Baff - I enjoy the commentary that comes with the BCS as well. However, do you realize how much time I have wasted in the past five years staring at strength of schedule ratings and wondering what a computer will do?
I never look at that crap. I just watch a show for a half hour, then try to see who I can piss off. It's college football. Let's not treat it like it's something that matters. Like kettlebells.
- Buck Brannaman

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Terry B. wrote:
Turdacious wrote:
The fiction that college football players are student-athletes is essential to the NCAA brand.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Turdacious wrote:
Terry B. wrote:
Turdacious wrote:
The fiction that college football players are student-athletes is essential to the NCAA brand.
The way they project it, I agree.

I don't believe that the consumers care though.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Manziel. $7,500 for new rims for his car. Doesn't appear to be any possibility that he isn't in violation. Does the NCAA come down hard on him or do they sweep it under the rug like they did for Cam Newton because of the cash that he generates?

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

Terry B. wrote:Manziel. $7,500 for new rims for his car. Doesn't appear to be any possibility that he isn't in violation. Does the NCAA come down hard on him or do they sweep it under the rug like they did for Cam Newton because of the cash that he generates?
no videos on youtube yet of JF accepting money. Another phony scandal? Wait and see.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

DikTracy6000 wrote:
Terry B. wrote:Manziel. $7,500 for new rims for his car. Doesn't appear to be any possibility that he isn't in violation. Does the NCAA come down hard on him or do they sweep it under the rug like they did for Cam Newton because of the cash that he generates?
no videos on youtube yet of JF accepting money. Another phony scandal? Wait and see.
ESPN has seen videos of him signing ~300 items. Hard to believe that a guy would do that because he felt like it.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

A closer parallel for Manziel would be Terrelle Pryor or Reggie Bush-- they have to punish Manziel.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Turdacious wrote:
A closer parallel for Manziel would be Terrelle Pryor or Reggie Bush-- they have to punish Manziel.
I would entirely agree with that.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Terry B. wrote:
DikTracy6000 wrote:
ESPN has seen videos of him signing ~300 items. Hard to believe that a guy would do that because he felt like it.
I've done worse on camera, and the NCAA has never contacted me.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

protobuilder wrote:
Terry B. wrote:ESPN has seen videos of him signing ~300 items. Hard to believe that a guy would do that because he felt like it.
You didn't threaten a cartel's monopoly over all revenue generated using your name.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Pinky wrote:
protobuilder wrote:
Terry B. wrote:ESPN has seen videos of him signing ~300 items. Hard to believe that a guy would do that because he felt like it.
You didn't threaten a cartel's monopoly over all revenue generated using your name.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/0 ... nline.html
The embattled governing body of college sports claimed in recent court filings that it does not sell specific player jerseys and thus profit off of an athletes likeness—allegedly those jerseys are just generic representations of their respective schools.

Bilas blew apart that theory by demonstrating that you can enter a player's name into the search function for NCAA's online store and find replicas of the jersey he wears. For example, a search for Mason Plumlee leads to a screen full of Duke No. 5 jerseys and shirts. The same phenomenon occurs when searching for other prominent athletes, like Johnny Manziel, Nerlens Noel and many more.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... pocritical
The NCAA disabled the search function after Bilas exposed the results.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Terry B. wrote:
Turdacious wrote:
I would entirely agree with that.
Actually, the more that I hear about him, he is farm dumber than Bush or Newton ever were. Perhaps ESPN could combine his and Pryor's stories into a new 30/30.

milosz

Post by milosz »

re: top photo - Running through all the 10s on the A&M campus, two or three at a time, is possibly the only smart thing the kid has done.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

milosz wrote:re: top photo - Running through all the 10s on the A&M campus, two or three at a time, is possibly the only smart thing the kid has done.
This is clearly a Title IX violation as well. Is Texas A&M making sure that women on their rowing team are getting the same caliber and quantity of pussy? I doubt it, and that's a grave injustice. In the name of equality, the NCAA needs to step in and regulate the amount and quality of sexual encounters these star athletes have while in college.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

This is raw meat for the Penn State faithful/NCAA haters. You can buy an autographed photo from the NCAA Shop from a Penn State player who...

"As a senior, Tamba Hali was an instrumental part of the 11-1 Nittany Lions squad that won the (2006) Orange Bowl. He was a unanimous All-American and won the Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year award for his 11 sack campaign. Take home a piece of Penn State history when you decorate your office or fan cave with this autographed 8" x 10" photo of the defensive end in action. It has been hand-signed by Hali and comes complete with a Certificate of Authenticity from Palm Beach Autographs."

http://www.shopncaasports.com/NCAASport ... x_10_Photo

These just recently sold out from the NCAA shop. You can imagine the howls of anger coming from Happy Valley.
http://www.shopncaasports.com/NCAASport ... ve_T-shirt

"You have to perform at a consistently higher level than others. That's the mark of a true professional." Joe Paterno's words never rang truer than when the Nittany Lions defeated the Northwestern Wildcats on November 6th, 2010 to give JoePa his 400th win — the first FBS coach to achieve that milestone! Celebrate along with your team in this commemorative long sleeve tee from Nike with a digital image of Paterno's profile, "400 Penn State Victories" and the above quote for Nittany Lions pride that will endure the test of time."

Don’t believe everything you think.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Pinky wrote:
This is clearly a Title IX violation as well. Is Texas A&M making sure that women on their rowing team are getting the same caliber and quantity of pussy? I doubt it, and that's a grave injustice. In the name of equality, the NCAA needs to step in and regulate the amount and quality of sexual encounters these star athletes have while in college.
Pretty sure they have a softball and a field hockey team, so they're probably covered on that one.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

I say Johnny Football scores on his first offensive series against Rice in the second half. I'm so ready for college football to get started again. Fuck the NCAA.