Lets talk Big Pharma

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Lets talk Big Pharma

Post by Turdacious »

Doctors sounded a warning Tuesday over a rise in ADHD diagnoses, saying some children may be needlessly taking powerful drugs intended to correct a poorly understood disorder.

Writing in the British Medical Journal (BMJ), the researchers noted treatment for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) had risen massively in recent years, even though its causes are unclear and drugs can have adverse effects.
http://www.france24.com/en/20131106-sur ... -red-flag/
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Re: Lets talk Big Pharma

Post by Turdacious »

"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Do daily multivitamins make you healthier?

After reviewing the available evidence and conducting new trials, the authors have come to a conclusion of “no.”

“We believe that the case is closed -- supplementing the diet of well-nourished adults with (most) mineral or vitamin supplements has no clear benefit and might even be harmful,” concluded the authors of the editorial summarizing the new research papers, published Dec. 16 in the Annals of Internal Medicine. “These vitamins should not be used for chronic disease prevention. Enough is enough.”

They went on to urge consumers to not “waste” their money on multivitamins.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/multivitami ... st-health/

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

The contraception mandate is nakedly a huge subsidy to the industry that most firmly supported Obamacare: the drugmakers.

The drug industry has spent more on lobbying under Obama than any other industry. Top lobbyists at the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) in 2009 met behind closed doors with the White House and Senate Democrats, promising political support for Democrats in exchange for friendly provisions in Obamacare.

Top Obama bundler Sally Susman oversees the lobbying shop at drug giant Pfizer, which sells $7.6 million a year in name-brand birth control pills, while also selling contraceptive injections and generic drugs. Pfizer's CEO during the Obamacare debate was Obama donor Jeffrey Kindler. In a corporate filing, the company justified his salary increase by pointing to his Obamacare lobbying.

Obama's contraception mandate requires all employer-sponsored health care plans to cover 100 percent of the cost of all FDA-approved contraception. That gives customers incentives to choose Pfizer's name-brand pills, because the entire cost is passed onto employers and thus onto customers and colleagues. And of course, this means more profit for Pfizer.
http://washingtonexaminer.com/obamas-co ... le/2539960

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

And let's not forget Shaf's work with Monsanto.

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

ADHD= war on boys.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Batboy2/75 wrote:ADHD= war on boys.

YES.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:

YES.
x2

Also:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsGkk1GGw3w[/youtube]
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

“What will protect you is if you spend the money on fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans, low fat dairy, things like that ..exercising would probably be a better use of the money.”
Yeah, let's see the apple farmers get together to give golf vacations to doctors for prescribing changes in diet.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

baffled wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:

YES.
x2

Also:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsGkk1GGw3w[/youtube]
I agree and I love it.

milosz

Post by milosz »

That birth control piece is absurd. Obama sold out to Big Pharma, sure, but come the fuck on with "drug giant Pfizer, which sells $7.6 million a year in name-brand birth control pills" - Pfizer's 2012 revenue was $60 billion.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

milosz wrote:That birth control piece is absurd. Obama sold out to Big Pharma, sure, but come the fuck on with "drug giant Pfizer, which sells $7.6 million a year in name-brand birth control pills" - Pfizer's 2012 revenue was $60 billion.
What's the projected revenue change resulting from the rule change though? They've already done the R&D, their only real cost is marketing, the rest is profit.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki »

Turdacious wrote:
milosz wrote:That birth control piece is absurd. Obama sold out to Big Pharma, sure, but come the fuck on with "drug giant Pfizer, which sells $7.6 million a year in name-brand birth control pills" - Pfizer's 2012 revenue was $60 billion.
What's the projected revenue change resulting from the rule change though? They've already done the R&D, their only real cost is marketing, the rest is profit.
What's their profit margin? And most likely, the revenue on the birth control pills is paying for the R&D on a new med.
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk »

Before ADHD apparently existed I just got punished if I couldn't sit still. It was often uncomfortable even just sitting afterwards but, somehow, I managed to sit still anyway.

milosz

Post by milosz »

Turdacious wrote:
Really, you want to pretend that the "projected revenue change" on a $7.6 million sector of a $60 billion company is the foundation of a conspiracy theory about Pfizer buying off Obama? That's couch change for Pfizer and Big Pharma.

Big Pharma's involvement in Obamacare is all about ensuring that there's no pharmaceutical collective bargaining - no national body negotiating prices on medicine. That would have a real impact on their bottom line.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

milosz wrote:
Turdacious wrote:
Really, you want to pretend that the "projected revenue change" on a $7.6 million sector of a $60 billion company is the foundation of a conspiracy theory about Pfizer buying off Obama? That's couch change for Pfizer and Big Pharma.
No CEO worth a shit considers $7.6m couch change, especially when there's room to expand that revenue stream.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:

YES.
Most certainly, and if they're moody load them up with some psychotropics. A bunch of suicides and mass murders are a small price to pay for settling these annoying boys down.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

milosz wrote:Big Pharma's involvement in Obamacare is all about ensuring that there's no pharmaceutical collective bargaining - no national body negotiating prices on medicine. That would have a real impact on their bottom line.
That is the real concern as it already happens in many other countries.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Kirk wrote:
Before ADHD apparently existed I just got punished if I couldn't sit still. It was often uncomfortable even just sitting afterwards but, somehow, I managed to sit still anyway.
Me too, but I was still a terrible student. They could make me sit still, but they couldn't make my mind sit still. Coffee, which I start drinking regularly at 12, helped some. Getting better drugs after being diagnosed later in life helped a lot more.

The problem with the drugs is that they're sometimes given to kids who don't have ADHD, and they're used as a substitute for more traditional discipline. The drugs are correctly seen as a complement for traditional discipline.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Pinky wrote:
Kirk wrote:
Me too, but I was still a terrible student. They could make me sit still, but they couldn't make my mind sit still. Coffee, which I start drinking regularly at 12, helped some. Getting better drugs after being diagnosed later in life helped a lot more.

The problem with the drugs is that they're sometimes given to kids who don't have ADHD, and they're used as a substitute for more traditional discipline. The drugs are correctly seen as a complement for traditional discipline.
The problem is an education system not just designed for girls, but actually hostile towards boys. Are there children that have real ADHD? Sure, but most of the boys prescribed ADHD drugs suffer from nothing more than being a boy. The Education system would rather drug them than tailor their teaching methods to handle boys effectively.

Public or Private school, it doesn't matter. The teachers (almost always female) are clueless about teaching boys.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Bats, What is the right way to teach boys? Seriously.

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Acknowledge that boys are falling behind at all levels of education; particularly lower income boys from single parent families.
Also, Acknowledge boys are more likely to be rowdy and break rules. They are not girls and can't be treated as such.
Have outlets available to drain off excess physical energy; recess and sports. Thereby reducing rowdiness and rule breaking amongst boys
Create curriculum that interests boys and keeps them engaged in the learning process. Again, they are not girls.
Enforce fair , but firm discipline within the class room and school.
Bring back vocational education and stop telling everyone that they must go to college.

Lastly, start to develop special educational programs for boys at risk; boys raised in single parent households. It's this demographic that is causing most of the violent crimes in our society. Their female siblings aren't the ones shooting up schools or turning their communities into a sewer. Studies have also shown that boys born into this mess have limited upward mobility. While their female sibling have much more upward mobility. When you are uneducated and stuck at the bottom, what do you do? You lash out.

There is no single "Silver Bullet" to these problems, but we can help things by rebalancing education to help boys.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Batboy2/75 wrote:Acknowledge that boys are falling behind at all levels of education; particularly lower income boys from single parent families.
Also, Acknowledge boys are more likely to be rowdy and break rules. They are not girls and can't be treated as such.
Have outlets available to drain off excess physical energy; recess and sports. Thereby reducing rowdiness and rule breaking amongst boys
Create curriculum that interests boys and keeps them engaged in the learning process. Again, they are not girls.
Bring back vocational education and stop telling everyone that they must go to college.

Lastly, start to develop special educational programs for boys at risk; boys raised in single parent households. It's this demographic that is causing most of the violent crimes in our society. Their female siblings aren't the ones shooting up schools or turning their communities into a sewer. Studies have also shown that boys born into this mess have limited upward mobility. While their female sibling have much more upward mobility. When you are uneducated and stuck at the bottom, what do you do? You lash out.

There is no single "Silver Bullet" to these problems, but we can help things by rebalancing education to help boys.
I assume getting all this enacted will all be part of President Batboy's First 100 Days in Office agenda.

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Cayenne wrote:
Batboy2/75 wrote:Acknowledge that boys are falling behind at all levels of education; particularly lower income boys from single parent families.

I assume getting all this enacted will all be part of President Batboy's First 100 Days in Office agenda.

I would look towards your State Governor. Because in a BatBoy presidency, the federal government would be getting out of the education game.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

It'll never happen. Teachers Unions would block the fuck out of that so fast and hard that you'd be astonished those lazy, money grubbing pederasts would get off their asses so motivated.