This Isn't Art

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

This Isn't Art

Post by baffled »

An African-American student at Sacramento State University is under fire for her recent work of art – which consisted of “lynching” two white men from a tree on the northern California campus.

The men were reportedly actors and were in no real danger during the project, which took place during the day in early December while students were on campus. The men were hung from a tree with a thick rope.

The senior responsible for the performance art, Christina Edwards, defended her project to Fox 40 News.

“The purpose of this performance was to bring to light social injustices and the issue of inequality that impacts me and my community as a whole,” Edwards said.

Edwards says she chose to illustrate this time in history by using race reversal, in an effort to shine new light on an old but standing matter. And says she followed all campus procedures.

The university doesn’t see it that way, however. University President Alexander Gonzalez released this statement saying, in part: “The university did not approve the display, and I want to assure everyone that I am working to address the multiple issues raised by this incident.”
http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/15693/
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Re: This Isn't Art

Post by Batboy2/75 »

I can't wait for the day Christina Edwards has to pay back her student loans for her Art or Gender studies or (insert worthless major) degree. She'll learn fairly quickly what real social injustice is when she stops making payments on her student loan.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Modern nigras feel guilty over the fact that they are pretty much given everything without having to work for much of it. They try to address this cognitive dissonance by picking at a 300 year old scab. Give them vouchers to go back home to Mammy Africa.

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:Modern nigras feel guilty over the fact that they are pretty much given everything without having to work for much of it. They try to address this cognitive dissonance by picking at a 300 year old scab. Give them vouchers to go back home to Mammy Africa.
This. The reverse racism in this country makes me laugh. Bashing whites is the in thing these days. It used to piss me off but I have come to understand this is the way its going to be.
T200 wrote:Drinking is for posers until you are drinking Everclear from a an old freebase kit you found in the park.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill »

little les than 300 years, some cases were at 1930 as i googled.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

The average black American has 99 problems. Being lynched is nowhere on the list.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub »

Wild Bill wrote:little les than 300 years, some cases were at 1930 as i googled.
The 300 years has more to do with slavery than racial divide and lynch mobs.
T200 wrote:Drinking is for posers until you are drinking Everclear from a an old freebase kit you found in the park.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

johno wrote:The average black American has 99 problems. Being lynched is nowhere on the list.
Exactly, if she was being honest about the problems in her community, she'd stage some sort of black on black crime scene.

But that's not the point. Being a racist idiot was the point.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub »

baffled wrote:Exactly, if she was being honest about the problems in her community, she'd stage some sort of black on black crime scene. But that's not the point. Being a racist idiot was the point.
Bingo. And I am disappointed in the white people who took part in this bullshit.

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 »

This is art.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Sounds like actors doing performance art, and it sounds like it got the response it was looking for. And now for the college's heavy hand of censorship in the name of racial equality and get-along-edness.
Don’t believe everything you think.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

Lynch art

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Oppressed college students gotta bitch.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I agree with T. This IS art.

Awesome, awesome art

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

BucketHead wrote:Lynch art

Apparently, every time Roadhouse is on and Bill Murray or one of his brothers see it, he calls her husband and says "Kelly is having sex with Patrick Swayze right now. They're totally doing it." He called from Russia once.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:

Apparently, every time Roadhouse is on and Bill Murray or one of his brothers see it, he calls her husband and says "Kelly is having sex with Patrick Swayze right now. They're totally doing it." He called from Russia once.
LOL

I read he does it no matter what time day or night.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:

I think that she talked about it on Howard Stern one time. If I remember correctly, she said that it can be on some backwoods channel at 2AM and they will receive the call.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Art provokes responses in people and generates discussion.

Thus, this may not be as bad as it appears.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.