Right now I'm reading

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

JimZipCode

Re: Right now I'm reading

Post by JimZipCode » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:17 pm

Range by David Epstein.
Highly enjoyable.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:18 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:56 pm
In the Hurricane's Eye: The Genius of George Washington and the Victory at Yorktown by Nathaniel Philbrick
My wife loved In The Heart Of The Sea.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:22 pm

It's a good book. She might enjoy this one then, its superb adventure tale:

Skeletons on the Zahara by Dean King

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03161 ... bl_vppi_i0

"The true story of twelve American sailors who were shipwrecked off the coast of Africa in 1815, captured by desert nomads, sold into slavery, and subjected to a hellish two-month journey through the perilous heart of the Sahara."
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Sua Sponte
Gunny

Post by Sua Sponte » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:32 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:19 pm
Bronze Age Mindset by Bronze Age Pervert

The most unique book I have read a very long time, I will have to read it again as the first time through it's pretty overwhelming. I give this book my highest recommendation.
This turned out to be quite good, unexpectedly, but it took months to get through. Without taking the time to chase after the countless arcane historical and philosophical references, many of which were the key to some subtle but very funny jokes, the whole purpose and context would have been lost to me. And it does demand another read.

More of late, I've been going back through Oscar Wilde, Call of the Wild and White Fang, a couple of boyhood favorites. If you like the outdoors and dogs and believe that ancestral spirit still exists deep in them, they're worth a serious adulthood read. Picture of Dorian Gray not as good by far as I remembered it.

DrDonkeyLove...
Private

Post by DrDonkeyLove... » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:02 am

For those interested in an epic of the millenarian religion of Bolshevism and how they cannabilized themselves. Really gets into the personal lives of early Soviet leaders and their families and their victims. Some might find it tedious. I found it that and fascinating at the same time. Uses a famous Soviet apartment building "The House On The Embankment" as the touchstone for the stories. Lots of old photos.

NYT review for your reading pleasure

The real House On The Embankment

Bennyonesix1
Sarge

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:13 am

Funny. I just read Wilton's Russia's Agony and The Last Days of the Romanov's. Can't recommend them enough. Wilton was chief correspondent for the leading British paper at the time of the recolution and saw everything first hand. It is heavy on the pro-English and anti-german stuff which is annoying and wrong but he was there and honestly reported the facts. Of course, he got blacklisted afterward....

Sebag-montifiore's bio of Stalin is good as well. But the tyrants are always boring people in the end.