Right now I'm reading

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Right now I'm reading

Post by Wild Bill »

Little Fuzzy by H. Beam Piper

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Excession by Ian Banks. Not quite feeling the series but I'd read a couple others after recommendations that were good. Don't generally read sci fi.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Juggs by M M Publications, Ltd.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Topic author
Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill »

"Last of the Breed" by Louis L'Amour
I was fan of Louis L`Amour before i stumbled on this book :(
Hard tot believe it is the same author, some stupid variant of "Rambo" with caricature Russians :)

I wish i never met this book :))

vern

Post by vern »

Rereading "Class" by Paul Fussell. A great book about the US status system.
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

vern

Post by vern »

Wild Bill wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:20 am "Last of the Breed" by Louis L'Amour
I was fan of Louis L`Amour before i stumbled on this book :(
Hard tot believe it is the same author, some stupid variant of "Rambo" with caricature Russians :)

I wish i never met this book :))
Damn Wild Bill, I remember reading that thirty years ago. I agree that it was pretty lousy.
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Unleashing the Wild Physique: Ultimate Bodybuilding for Men and Women by Robert Kennedy and Vince Gironda
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Wild Bill wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:20 amI was fan of Louis L`Amour before...
I read a shit-ton of L'Amour when I was a teenager. Very often would re-read them over the years; the literary equivalent of a can of Pringles maybe, or a package of Girl Scout Cookies. I know they're not "good"; but sometimes they're exactly what you want.

The 10 best Louis L'Amour westerns:
(by pub date)

• Westward the Tide (London, 1950; first US publication 1976)
  • To Tame a Land (1955)
  • The Daybreakers (1960)
  • Flint (1960) **
  • Sackett (1961) **
  • Fallon (1963)
  • The Key-Lock Man (1965)
  • Down the Long Hills (1968) — L'Amour's only Golden Spur Award from the Western Writers of America
  • Reilly's Luck (1970) **
  • Fair Blows the Wind (1978)

**Top 3.

I once read an interesting essay by a guy named Jon Tuska, the foreward to a collection of L'Amour's stories. L'Amour of course got his start selling stories in the pulp magazine era. Tuska said there was an episode where L'Amour committed some very basic failure of professionalism — I forget the details, but he neglected to do some routine clerical thing that would enable him to retain or extend the copyright on his published stories — and he basically lost copyright to all his stories, prematurely. This was the reason behind his huge output of slim little novels. He took each of his "long stories" and expanded it into a novel, changed some names or some plot details, and just cranked that shit out. He was sort of hurrying to reclaim his intellectual property or something. Tuska said that the original (magazine) stories usually were much better than the later novel version. I wouldn't know; but that would make sense, and it would explain the hasty/sloppy character of a lot of his writing.

But damn I have enjoyed some of his books very much.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Yes I Have Balls wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:47 pmConsequence, by Eric Fair. He was a contractor sent to Iraq to interrogate prisoners. He worked at Abu Ghraib.
I checked this out of the library, and read the preface or intro or whatever. Was intrigued.

Then my wife stole it from me, and she's been reading it for the last week or so. She says it's good.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”

Topic author
Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill »

JimZipCode wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:59 pm The 10 best Louis L'Amour westerns:
(by pub date)
  • Westward the Tide (London, 1950; first US publication 1976)
  • To Tame a Land (1955)
  • The Daybreakers (1960)
  • Flint (1960) **
  • Sackett (1961) **
  • Fallon (1963)
  • The Key-Lock Man (1965)
  • Down the Long Hills (1968) — L'Amour's only Golden Spur Award from the Western Writers of America
  • Reilly's Luck (1970) **
  • Fair Blows the Wind (1978)
**Top 3.
Hard for me to say wich i read, because most of his books i read in Russian, and they often changed title.
For example "To Tame a Land" in russian translate was "The gunfighter."
But i surely read those
[*] To Tame a Land (1955)
[*] Flint (1960) **
[*] Sackett (1961) **
[*] Fallon (1963)
[*] Down the Long Hills (1968)
[*] Fair Blows the Wind (1978)

And lot of others in russian.

Fair Blows the Wind i read in English (ordered printed book)

I would add some others to top list, but tastes are differ :)
JimZipCode wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:59 pm But damn I have enjoyed some of his books very much.
True word! :)

Topic author
Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill »

Well... shame to admit, i started "The Doom Brigade" (Dragonlance: Kang's Regiment #1).
And even more shame that i like it so far :)

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Mythos: A Retelling of the Myths of Ancient Greece by Stephen Fry

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Also, just finished...

Be Fit! Or be Damned! by Percy Cerutty

JohnDoe
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnDoe »

Finished Jonathan Franzen's 'The Corrections' a week ago.

Just finished Cormac McCarthy's 'All the Pretty Horses' last night.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

JohnDoe wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:18 pmFinished Jonathan Franzen's 'The Corrections' a week ago.
I liked that a lot. I fucking loved "Freedom".

Purity was amazing, but the Annabelle section was so tough to read that I dropped the book for like six months or a year. Very, very glad I finished it though. It was excellent.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Pops by Michael Chabon. Essays on dadhood. The first one, about his fashion maven teenage son, is great.

JohnDoe
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnDoe »

JimZipCode wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:23 am
JohnDoe wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:18 pmFinished Jonathan Franzen's 'The Corrections' a week ago.
I liked that a lot. I fucking loved "Freedom".

Purity was amazing, but the Annabelle section was so tough to read that I dropped the book for like six months or a year. Very, very glad I finished it though. It was excellent.
Good to know.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

The World of Yesterday by Stefan Zweig

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Zweig is an amazing author. When I was in high school I came across the collection of his short stories. They haunted me for weeks.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Sangoma wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:28 pm Zweig is an amazing author. When I was in high school I came across the collection of his short stories. They haunted me for weeks.
You know I wish I could agree but I find him to be a terrible bore. I'm pushing on, but I won't be rushing back. I guess what makes this book worth the effort is his evocation of fin de siècle Austro-Hungarian life and the interbellum period. He writes about a lot of interesting people, unfortunately he is not one of them. He's just too hypersensitive and priggish for me.

However, if you do like Zweig and want to try an author that is of a similar era and provenance--educated Austrian Jewry--try Ludwig Bemelmans. He's best known as a children's author but he penned a lot of great adult literature. He's everything Zweig wishes he was, a painter, author, bon vivant, and profound humanist. I suggest Hotel Bemelmans as a point of departure.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Bronze Age Mindset by Bronze Age Pervert

The most unique book I have read a very long time, I will have to read it again as the first time through it's pretty overwhelming. I give this book my highest recommendation.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. This is an unfinished fantasy trilogy. It took me 4 tries to break free of the first 20 pages as I found it sluggish. But once I hit page 50 and the story truly begins, I have been hooked.

Nothing all that novel so far - a young hero and his trials, with his wins and losses along the way. But there's definite poetry in the telling of it.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

^^^I have had a few reading experiences like that, where once i finally push through an initial block I love the book.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Some books make work the whole way. Doctor Zhivago is kike that, The Mansion by Faulkner as well. The ending makes it more than worthwhile.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Fat Cat wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:07 am
Sangoma wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:28 pm Zweig is an amazing author. When I was in high school I came across the collection of his short stories. They haunted me for weeks.
You know I wish I could agree but I find him to be a terrible bore. I'm pushing on, but I won't be rushing back. I guess what makes this book worth the effort is his evocation of fin de siècle Austro-Hungarian life and the interbellum period. He writes about a lot of interesting people, unfortunately he is not one of them. He's just too hypersensitive and priggish for me.

However, if you do like Zweig and want to try an author that is of a similar era and provenance--educated Austrian Jewry--try Ludwig Bemelmans. He's best known as a children's author but he penned a lot of great adult literature. He's everything Zweig wishes he was, a painter, author, bon vivant, and profound humanist. I suggest Hotel Bemelmans as a point of departure.
Ok, I will check him out. In exchange - my offering: The Man Without Qualities by Robert Musil.