IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:37 am

<

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 432 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 18
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:39 pm 

Quote:
Kim by Rudyard Kipling
Kim is wonderful.

One of my favorite science fiction novels is Lord of Light (1967) by Roger Zelazny. It's one of the big books of the "New Wave" of sf in the 1960s. Zelazny writes it in a flowery style that's supposed to evoke the Indian culture of this colonized planet. I didn't realize this until many years later, but Zelazny is aping Kipling's prose from Kim (I think), to create that "Indian" feel. It works great, though I think Kipling did it better.

So I guess I'm saying, if you liked Kim and you like sf, you might Lord of Light.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:12 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Thanks, I'll look into it. I remember reading some RZ sci-fi as a kid, can't recall which titles though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:02 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Finished all 1100 pages of "The Wise Man's Fear," the sequel to "The Name of the Wind." Although it was excellent, there was a good 200-250 page chunk that I found quite boring and contained a couple bizarre turns away from how the story had been progressing.

8/10

As an aside, I stepped into a game store this week and found that the game Tak (a fictional game played in "The Wise Man's Fear") has been created as a tabletop game. I was told it was a ton of fun and I think it's only 5 star reviews on Amazon for it.

For those interested:

https://www.amazon.com/Cheapass-Games-T ... B01LFA7QFK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:49 am 

Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin. I've wanted to read it for a while; for some reason, last week I pulled the trigger on reserving it at the library.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:08 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin. I've wanted to read it for a while; for some reason, last week I pulled the trigger on reserving it at the library.
I loved that book. It's interesting to see someone so good at chess and martial arts, combining tactics and strategies to improve and win.

Fan of the film "Searching for Bobby Fischer" about his childhood as well.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:51 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Napoleon by David G. Chandler...I wasn't up for his three volume magnum opus The Campaigns of Napoleon so opted for his briefer monograph on the same subject. It's classic history, no bullshit about gender or class warfare, but really well written with an easy to follow narrative style.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:17 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Finished "Bruce Lee: A Life" by Matthew Polly. It's a long, well-researched book with pockets of too much information (a long section on the Chinese film industry in the 60's for example). But there is a ton on the formation of Bruce Lee as a philosopher, fighter and athlete that I found very intriguing.

If you were to open to one page I'd suggest 199, it's the biggest section of the book covering his training and teaching methods. I got a few people hooked on it by having them start there.

Also read "Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics" - the book felt cobbled together, and the author admits as much. He was writing on deadline while dealing with his other job. That said there are a number of useful meditation tidbit's in here. I particularly liked the "do nothing" meditation. Sit, breathe and do nothing. Let your mind wander or your leg itch, or your mind focus on your leg itching.

Bruce Lee 8/10

Meditation 7/10

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 432 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 18