Wrap mortgage and seller financed home sale?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
dingleberry
Manpussy Apprentice

Wrap mortgage and seller financed home sale?

Post by dingleberry »

So in short, I have a guy who is willing to owner finance his house in a sale to me.

He still has a mortgage but I believe he can pay it off if he wanted.

I'm clueless here. I can't see the angle for his benefit. Conflicting interwebs info says I cannot assume the mortgage and others say I can using a wrap mortgage. For the price he is saying he will sell to me I would benefit from a large amount of equity.

Somebody here has to have some experience/knowledge of this.
nafod wrote:I do find I am spending more and more time in the bathroom in the morning, just staring at myself and wondering if I am pretty.

j-cubed
Gunny

Re: Wrap mortgage and seller financed home sale?

Post by j-cubed »

So then this is not a land contract, but seller financed mortgage?

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape »

dingleberry wrote:So in short, I have a guy who is willing to owner finance his house in a sale to me.

He still has a mortgage but I believe he can pay it off if he wanted.

I'm clueless here. I can't see the angle for his benefit. Conflicting interwebs info says I cannot assume the mortgage and others say I can using a wrap mortgage. For the price he is saying he will sell to me I would benefit from a large amount of equity.

whether you can assume the mortgage depends entirely on what the seller's original loan agreement says.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

On something this big, I would avoid interwebs advices and talk to a real estate attorney. I have heard of deals like this, but since his bank owns the house, and you could conceivably be paying him while he fails to pay the bank, the bank takes "your" house.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Yeah, this could go south rapidly. It sounds like it's too good a deal to be viable.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

The only people who ever want to assume someone else's mortgage are scrubs with shitty credit scores who just attended a 2-hour FREE real estate seminar at an airport Holiday Inn.

Talk to an actual real estate attorney.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Eh, crazy deals happen. Real estate is a pretty inefficient market, and it's possible to get stellar deals because somebody is making a dumb choice now or is dealing with the ramifications of a previously dumb choice.

Short sales, divorce, people just wanting out, there are reasons this *might* be a good deal. But it could also be a guy who read a Kiyosaki book and thinks he's a capitalist now.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 »

For the most part I dislike talking to lawyers but this seems like a good time to talk to one. You might start out with the loan officer at your local bank (they'll probably be free, unlike an attorney) - who may be able to give you some advice from their side of things.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

I'm not sure I would trust a local bank's loan officer much more than random people on the Internet.

Talk to a lawyer or walk away.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Hymen Asshole
Staff Sergeant

Post by Hymen Asshole »

Find a real estate attorney so you won't have a horror story to come tell us one day

Topic author
dingleberry
Manpussy Apprentice

Post by dingleberry »

Thanks folks, there is no hurry to get this done so I'm planning on doing my research. This was the first step as all the lie-man knowledge is here.
nafod wrote:I do find I am spending more and more time in the bathroom in the morning, just staring at myself and wondering if I am pretty.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Whatever you do, don't think of a house purchase as an investment. Think of it as paying for a place to live.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."