Strong hate for Patreaus

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

terra

Re: Strong hate for Patreaus

Post by terra »

I thought the author mentioned the bit about being chastised for faking push-ups to polarise that, even though Patreaus 'faked' things as a vehicle for success, he wouldn't abide by the same behaviour in others - even at much less significant level.

The author's article didn't seem so much whining about being involved in Patreaus's fake war demos and pandering, or being punished for fake pushups - he openly fesses up to being soft toward the end of his career. The author made the points in the story to show that the Patreaus bloke wasn't just a complete phoney, but also hypocrite about that fact...

Kind of 'the worst of the worst' when it comes to people who abuse positions of power.

However, I can't comment on the authors behaviour from a military point of view. Nor can I comment on the back story as I don't know anything about it. Purely commenting on the face value of the article alone, as an outsider (FWIW).
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

milosz

Post by milosz »

johno wrote:I see much schadenfreude among those who didn't really want to see success in Iraq.
This is even whinier than the Vice piece.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

If you changed the names I could easily made believe that the article described Soviet Army. Pretty typical corporate behavior: kiss ass of the superiors and walk over the subordinates in order to get promoted. Though it is not completely fair to form on opinion on one narrative. Although it is not uncommon for the successful corporate types to be psychopaths. Whatever.

Sua Sponte
Gunny

Post by Sua Sponte »

The guy played his hand at the end there. A little too easy on himself when he describes how he let himself put on weight and let his hair grow or that he couldn't even be troubled to perform proper push-ups. He was still a West Point schooled, Ranger-tabbed, company grade officer at that point and to lower his standards to such a degree that a general officer took notice and then excuse himself because he was disillusioned...well, I'll betcha still cashed your paycheck there sweetie, didn't ya.

I even suspect the platoon he describes going through the run up for Thurman's visit may have been a bit weak on the basics at the outset leading to the level of scrutiny they saw. Not that dog and ponies aren't there in abundance, it's just his story is a little too "poor me" for people who've been on the inside.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

I feel really, really bad for this guy.

Really bad.

It's almost like the military is filled with inanity and insufferable bastards.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Writer is a bit of a bitch.

Devil 6 was a careerist, but a careerist with talent and ability to kill the Jawas. Meh. Have my suspicions about the purging of lots of Senior Officers under Obama, but very simple rules as a Senior Officer
1. It is all politics after the first Star. Go quietly when asked to do so.
2. Don't steal any money.
3. Do not fuck the help.

He couldn't keep his dick in his pants. At least he couldn't break it out without witnesses. His whore was a pshyco female officer of the worst kind.

See ya both at the unemployment line.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

johno wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:
johno wrote:I detest the Service Academies, and think they should be abolished.
Why? I strongly considered two.
1 - They promote a non-elite elitist clique within the military.
2 - There's no evidence that the very expensive Academies produce better officers.
3 - They further separate the military from the citizens they serve.
4 - Ring-knocking motherfuckers peered from Ranger School one of the best Rangers in my class.

PS - For a real upgrade in leader quality, require all combat arms officers to be Mustangs. (A Mustang is a former enlisted.)
Let kids who are dedicated to the military spend 3 years as enlisted, then get a free ride for a 2 or 4 year degree. THEN a career as an officer.
I detest the academies for all the above reasons, plus one big one. Entrance to the academies is based on patronage from politicians.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.