Picking a realtor

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Picking a realtor

Post by Bram »

Any tips?

Do you need one?

Got the property selected, wondering what the benefits are of going with one or not.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Picking a realtor

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

I think you do. A good realtor will help you dial in your offer and will do a better analysis of comparable properties (comps) than you will do yourself. They may also find you something you didn't know you wanted.

What city are you in? Maybe somebody here knows somebody.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Realtor, yes. I would. IME, YMMV.

I sold my first house as a FSBO (for sale by owner) and it went OK. But an experienced realtor is good insurance (perhaps expensive insurance) against the unexpected. A good realtor knows the Ins & Outs, the questions to ask and pitfalls to avoid.

Right now, we are on the cusp of buying land to build on and selling our house. Our realtor has been invaluable in this lengthy process.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Titty size

Yes I Have Balls

Post by Yes I Have Balls »

johno wrote:Realtor, yes. I would. IME, YMMV.

I sold my first house as a FSBO (for sale by owner) and it went OK. But an experienced realtor is good insurance (perhaps expensive insurance) against the unexpected. A good realtor knows the Ins & Outs, the questions to ask and pitfalls to avoid.

Right now, we are on the cusp of buying land to build on and selling our house. Our realtor has been invaluable in this lengthy process.
Agreed. Also, if there the house you like has any (serious) detrimental conditions, a realtor can really help you dial in a discounted purchase price and from a stronger position than if the other side sees you essentially "repping" yourself.

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:I think you do. A good realtor will help you dial in your offer and will do a better analysis of comparable properties (comps) than you will do yourself. They may also find you something you didn't know you wanted.

What city are you in? Maybe somebody here knows somebody.
I'm in San Diego if anyone has a suggestion. The consensus seems to be go with one. With big breasts.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Yes I Have Balls wrote:
johno wrote:Realtor, yes. I would. IME, YMMV.

Agreed. Also, if there the house you like has any (serious) detrimental conditions, a realtor can really help you dial in a discounted purchase price and from a stronger position than if the other side sees you essentially "repping" yourself.
If a house you like has serious problems that you know of, run.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

Dude! My realtor was a hot little pixie MILF. (MIDF)
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Bram wrote:Any tips?

Do you need one?

Got the property selected, wondering what the benefits are of going with one or not.
You need a GOOD one, which is very different than just "getting a realtor."

A typical realtor, an old lady or a hot MILF for example, may be quite useless, but a GOOD realtor can be invaluable when it comes to comparables and NEGOTIATION. I've seen realtors reveal their clients positions, etc. (I.e., reveal their client is desperate, etc). A good realtor can negotiate through the contract process. Most deals are simple, cut and dry, but what if they aren't? What if something goes wrong? What if your realtor didn't think to inquire? Didn't think to make sure things were discussed? You need a good realtor.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

fuck, proto is right, here, but good luck finding one, most of them are looking for a payout and it's an easy job to drift into if you have titties and like houses.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

I'll guess that "good realtor" is inversely related to tit size. The A cup realtors can't succeed on boobs alone.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Really difficult task. Most of them are fucking liars, and it takes work to find a good one. I am not sure about USA, but in Australia there is a rule: a realtor should disclose relevant information when asked - not volunteer. For example, some of the properties in Sydney are cheaper than the average because of the financial structure they are locked into. If you ask why the property is cheaper than the median the agent must tell you everything about it. But if you don't - he is not at fault if you discover something nasty later. That's one of the many pitfalls. Once you find a good realtor though he can save you a lot of money and even find a bargain.

At the end of the day it pays to do a lot of research yourself. There are good cheap Kindle books on every possible market and property strategies. Also, American realty websites are really well organised - Zillow, Realty, city-data and quite a few others.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

johno wrote:I'll guess that "good realtor" is inversely related to tit size. The A cup realtors can't succeed on boobs alone.
You sexist pig.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

I had a small B cup realtor. On the kitchen counter of one house and in the shower of the one I bought.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

I read that as:fucking a realtor......maybe see what you want to see?
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

My advice is not to let them videotape your conversation and not to believe them when they tell you your house is worth a few hundred thousand more than you imagined.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Ended up using Redfin and picking someone with good reviews, so far it's been a pleasant experience. I specifically avoided a good looking woman as I don't need to complicate my thinking, haha. Thanks for the good advice everyone :)