Do you dance?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Do you dance?

Post by seeahill »

Newguy suggested dance classes as one solution to my balance problems. Good idea, but it got me wondering:
1. Do you dance?
2. Are you any good?
3. What kind or kinds of dancing do you do?

I'll start:
1.Yes, sometimes at parties or bars.
2. Pretty average but not embarassing
3. A freestyle combination of cowboy and hippie. (I can also do the Twist, the Pony, the Swim and something called the UT, which was big when I was in college. Mom taught me to box waltz.). I won't square dance. Don't ask me. Dosey your own fucking doe.
Last edited by seeahill on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Do you dance?

Post by dead man walking »

seeahill wrote:A freestyle combination of cowboy and hippie.
video required.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Topic author
seeahill

Post by seeahill »

No.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

Tim, a couple of things improve balance. Performing the first rite of the Five Tibetan Rites improves balance. It looks and feels silly, but it's improved my balance doing them every day first thing in the morning. It will make you dizzy the first few times you do it, so start with only a half dozen revolutions, and work up to 21. It took me about two months to gradually work up to that number.
The second one is to learn a couple of katas from karate. My balance was excellent when I was an active participant. The last one, is a set of specific exercises from a PT that are designed for people with Meniere's disease(and other balance related problems). My wife has a related illness. When I get a copy of her work sheet, I'll post it here. Good luck.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

I took same ballroom dance last summer. It was great and forced me to be much more aware of my feet and balance. And it was fun. Highly recommend it.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

I do dance, and quite well. Clubs, parties, concerts, etc. More of the rock/alternative, pop, radio/club stuff..hip hop rap, etc.

One of my eventual goals is to take some formal dance lessons. Latin/salsa/cumbias....ballroom, that type of thing. Think it would be great exercise, fun, social/meet people, etc.

Ericc
Sgt. Major

Post by Ericc »

I followed the Dead for much of the 80s and snuck into Georgetown clubs (drinking age was 18) to see some now classic punk bands. So I sort of do a violent hippie dance with a white boys overbite. Sad really.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Did you see Ian taunt the crowd at the 9:30?

Or GWAR?

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

You can dance if you want to
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

We can leave your friends behind

Ericc
Sgt. Major

Post by Ericc »

no. But I did see Root Boy Slim and The Sex Change Band there

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk »

The first rite of the Five Tibetan Rites would have me falling on the floor. I don't know what you'd call my issue but I've had severe bouts of vertigo (like, move my head a mm and start projectile vomiting) and generally have poor balance, both of which seem to run in members of my Mom's side of the family. I will check out some Menieres disease stuff. I've done vertigo specific exercises but usually just when I'm in the middle of some moderate vertigo (during severe vertigo the exercises are impossible and during mild vertigo I don't bother since the exercises make me nauseous and I'm mostly functional then anyway).

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

Kirk wrote:The first rite of the Five Tibetan Rites would have me falling on the floor. I don't know what you'd call my issue but I've had severe bouts of vertigo (like, move my head a mm and start projectile vomiting) and generally have poor balance, both of which seem to run in members of my Mom's side of the family. I will check out some Menieres disease stuff. I've done vertigo specific exercises but usually just when I'm in the middle of some moderate vertigo (during severe vertigo the exercises are impossible and during mild vertigo I don't bother since the exercises make me nauseous and I'm mostly functional then anyway).
Kirk, My wife's PT and a RN friend of mine said those exercises at first all make you nauseous. And don't do them when symptoms are severe. Like everything repeated use improves conditions somewhat. Many can't continue.
Tim, sorry for the thread highjack, but I was responding more to your subliminal message that you're a dizzy old fart. You should check out your local area for DWTS contests. You'd be a celebrity.

ccrow
Gunny

Post by ccrow »

Tough guys don't dance
But when I stand in front of the mirror and really look, I wonder: What the fuck happened here? Jesus Christ. What a beating!

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Same as newguy. I can throw down.

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Post by Andy83 »

Forget it. You're too old. Get an electric wheel chair. Medicare will give you one for free. Amigo brand is bestest.
Obama's narcissism and arrogance is only superseded by his naivete and stupidity.

Topic author
seeahill

Post by seeahill »

WildGorillaMan wrote:You can dance if you want to
Guilty feet have got no rhythm.

Topic author
seeahill

Post by seeahill »

Andy83 wrote:Forget it. You're too old. Get an electric wheel chair. Medicare will give you one for free. Amigo brand is bestest.
Thanks for the tip.