Potential setback for "States' Rights" and Potheads

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Post Reply
User avatar
johno
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 7817
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:36 pm

Potential setback for "States' Rights" and Potheads

Post by johno » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:20 pm

White House press secretary Sean Spicer said Thursday that he expects states to be subject to “greater enforcement” of federal laws against marijuana use, a move that could undercut the growing number of jurisdictions moving to legalize the drug for recreational purposes.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

JimZipCode
Top
Posts: 1428
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: Potential setback for "States' Rights" and Potheads

Post by JimZipCode » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:31 pm

johno wrote:
White House press secretary Sean Spicer said Thursday that he expects states to be subject to “greater enforcement” of federal laws against marijuana use, a move that could undercut the growing number of jurisdictions moving to legalize the drug for recreational purposes.
Wow, if they want to mobilize the Millennials to get out and vote against Republicans, I can't think of anything more effective.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major
Posts: 2710
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:25 am

Re: Potential setback for "States' Rights" and Potheads

Post by bennyonesix » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:54 pm

Dumb. This is a fifth order concern with a huge political cost. I pray they let this go.

User avatar
DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8034
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:04 am
Location: Deep in a well

Re: Potential setback for "States' Rights" and Potheads

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:54 pm

bennyonesix wrote:Dumb. This is a fifth order concern with a huge political cost. I pray they let this go.
All the power = overreach. Going too far seems inevitable.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

User avatar
johno
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 7817
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:36 pm

Re: Potential setback for "States' Rights" and Potheads

Post by johno » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:44 pm

I am disappointed. Marijuana is not a Hot Button issue for me personally. But federalism is.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5025
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:51 am

Re: Potential setback for "States' Rights" and Potheads

Post by Protobuilder » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:37 am

If anybody didn't know this was coming when Sessions was confirmed they weren't paying attention.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

User avatar
WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 9951
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:01 pm

Re: Potential setback for "States' Rights" and Potheads

Post by WildGorillaMan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:02 am

There seems to be a whole lot of Big Government coming out of a team who worships small government.
Image
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5126
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: Inner Pindostan

Re: Potential setback for "States' Rights" and Potheads

Post by Gene » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:52 am

johno wrote:
White House press secretary Sean Spicer said Thursday that he expects states to be subject to “greater enforcement” of federal laws against marijuana use, a move that could undercut the growing number of jurisdictions moving to legalize the drug for recreational purposes.
What happens when a future Progressive President uses the "Trump Precedent" to hammer gun owners in States which have "nullified" Federal laws?

These characters are not thinking shit out.
This space for let

User avatar
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 10869
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:08 pm

Re: Potential setback for "States' Rights" and Potheads

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:07 am

WildGorillaMan wrote:There seems to be a whole lot of Big Government coming out of a team who worships small government.
They detained Muhammad Ali's son at the airport today and asked him questions about his religion rather than country of origin. Just incredibly well-executed policy.

Tweet of 2017 so far:
Mike Pence is an abhorrent bigot of middling intellect & I'd be extremely grateful to have him take over the Presidency as soon as possible.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6797
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:34 pm

Re: Potential setback for "States' Rights" and Potheads

Post by dead man walking » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:45 pm

they're going to "dismantle the administrative state" where it affects health, the environment, and social services, but they building up the administrative state's policing functions.

an unfortunate imbalance.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

User avatar
Herv100
Sgt. Major
Posts: 3696
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:12 am

Re: Potential setback for "States' Rights" and Potheads

Post by Herv100 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:38 pm

Give it time and see what they do. I don't think they've raided guitar making factories yet because they used a certain type of wood, like the previous administration did.
Image

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21109
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Potential setback for "States' Rights" and Potheads

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:39 pm

Trump apologists are really having to start to contort

It's not quite there yet, but the utter incompetence and corruption of the Trump administration will be a warning to future presidents and might be the death of the Republican party as we know it.

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21109
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Potential setback for "States' Rights" and Potheads

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:40 pm

The party of Reagan, who was president when the Soviets collapsed, are OK getting in bed with the Russians today

The legit idiocy abides

User avatar
syaigh
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5684
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:29 am
Location: Surrounded by short irrational people

Re: Potential setback for "States' Rights" and Potheads

Post by syaigh » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:07 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Trump apologists are really having to start to contort

It's not quite there yet, but the utter incompetence and corruption of the Trump administration will be a warning to future presidents and might be the death of the Republican party as we know it.
That would be great considering that they seem to no longer care avout the Constitution and seem to want to establish some Sharia-esque Christian theocracy for white dudes. I expect to see Christian versions of burkahs here real soon. Might not be all that scary for you guys but its very scary for us females who like the idea of personal autonomy.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

JimZipCode
Top
Posts: 1428
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: Potential setback for "States' Rights" and Potheads

Post by JimZipCode » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:14 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:... and might be the death of the Republican party as we know it.
A common prediction, but it's a bold claim to make about the party in control of both houses of the legislature, and the executive, and most of the governorships, and the gerrymandering of most of the state districts.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

User avatar
DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8034
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:04 am
Location: Deep in a well

Re: Potential setback for "States' Rights" and Potheads

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:19 pm

Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6797
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:34 pm

Re: Potential setback for "States' Rights" and Potheads

Post by dead man walking » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:45 pm

syaigh wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Trump apologists are really having to start to contort

It's not quite there yet, but the utter incompetence and corruption of the Trump administration will be a warning to future presidents and might be the death of the Republican party as we know it.
That would be great considering that they seem to no longer care avout the Constitution and seem to want to establish some Sharia-esque Christian theocracy for white dudes. I expect to see Christian versions of burkahs here real soon. Might not be all that scary for you guys but its very scary for us females who like the idea of personal autonomy.
how does this administration reflect xtian values?

the xtian right aligns with bullies and oligarchs and jesus weeps.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

User avatar
syaigh
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5684
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:29 am
Location: Surrounded by short irrational people

Re: Potential setback for "States' Rights" and Potheads

Post by syaigh » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:58 pm

That's the thing, they don't. They don't have to. All they have to do is take away women's rights to birth control and their own bodies, discriminate against people for their religion or sexual orientation, and put more power in the hands of white christian men. Gives them more power. Appeases the non-thinkers (or those who think this is a Christian nation rather than one found on freedom from religion) and demonizes us libtards who actually believe in personal liberty and freedom from other people's religions. Its a quite popular and effective method apparently because it got a lot of them in office.

I'm not against all Republicans, nor do I support all Democrats. I'm a moderate. Its just disturbing how much the dialogue has shifted to the rights of white christian men. In fact, I was at my church the other day listening to some old white dude berate one of the secretaries because he was felt discriminated against when the priest said something about supporting immigrants and didn't call on the congregation to support Trump. That's pretty fucking scary.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21109
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Potential setback for "States' Rights" and Potheads

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:06 pm

JimZipCode wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:... and might be the death of the Republican party as we know it.
A common prediction, but it's a bold claim to make about the party in control of both houses of the legislature, and the executive, and most of the governorships, and the gerrymandering of most of the state districts.
You are totally right, of course.

It's hard to believe that the Republican party, almost to a man or woman, have morphed into such fucksticks seemingly overnight.

User avatar
DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8034
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:04 am
Location: Deep in a well

Re: Potential setback for "States' Rights" and Potheads

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:18 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:
JimZipCode wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:... and might be the death of the Republican party as we know it.
A common prediction, but it's a bold claim to make about the party in control of both houses of the legislature, and the executive, and most of the governorships, and the gerrymandering of most of the state districts.
You are totally right, of course.

It's hard to believe that the Republican party, almost to a man or woman, have morphed into such fucksticks seemingly overnight.
Especially because all of the big shots seem clueless and inept when it comes to politics. I think that's part of why Trump won the primary. Repugs, and Dems/Independents in open primaries, were super pissed at O's Progressive policies, they looked about a stage full of dull Repuglicrat fucksticks, and decided it was time to send in the orange Lizard King.

Then, the Dems via their own chicanery put up against him the least likable Democrat since, possibly, forever...and here we are.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

User avatar
Herv100
Sgt. Major
Posts: 3696
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:12 am

Re: Potential setback for "States' Rights" and Potheads

Post by Herv100 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:46 pm

syaigh wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Trump apologists are really having to start to contort

It's not quite there yet, but the utter incompetence and corruption of the Trump administration will be a warning to future presidents and might be the death of the Republican party as we know it.
That would be great considering that they seem to no longer care avout the Constitution and seem to want to establish some Sharia-esque Christian theocracy for white dudes. I expect to see Christian versions of burkahs here real soon. Might not be all that scary for you guys but its very scary for us females who like the idea of personal autonomy.
They've been good on separation of church of state and states rights on some things. Just a couple days ago they got rid of a completely religion-based Obama federal guideline and gave the power back to the states.

http://fortune.com/2017/02/22/trump-lgb ... uidelines/
Image

JimZipCode
Top
Posts: 1428
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: Potential setback for "States' Rights" and Potheads

Post by JimZipCode » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:41 pm

“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Post Reply