Plenty of black people at the Oscar's tonight!

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Plenty of black people at the Oscar's tonight!

Post by Kenny X »

Mrs. Kenny X is watching the Oscars pre-game show. Robin Roberts and Michael Strahan are interviewing lots of black people. Tons of them. They did cut over to a white dude who spoke for a few seconds about Bill Paxton's passing -PBUH, and then it was right back to balck people. Plenty of black people. It's almost like the Academy, and the Hollywood bigwigs who took time out from their sex tours of Southeast Asia or orgy parties with underage boys to put this thing on, want America to know that the Academy respects the work of black actors.

And I'm cerain that this year, some actors of color will be taking home well-deserved academy awards.

So I don't want to hear anybody complaining.

(Qualifier: Kenny X has nothing against black actors. Some of my favorite actors are black, like Morgan Freeman. I just loathe The Academy, and celebrity circle jerks like the Oscars. And this year, as I occasionally looked up from my book, what I saw just seemed really contrived to me.)

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Plenty of black people at the Oscar's tonight!

Post by buckethead »

Hidden fences was wonderful

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki »

Sometime last night Steve Harvey poured himself a glass of the best stuff he had on hand and said "To you Warren"
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

buckethead wrote:Hidden fences was wonderful
I take my coffee like my computers. Black.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

buckethead wrote:Hidden fences was wonderful
=D> =D> =D> =D>

Apparently Fences was a play, quite a good one, before they made a movie out of it. I didn't know that. One evening a few months ago Mrs. Kenny X and I were on our way into the theater, and we saw the "coming soon" poster for Fences. Mrs. Kenny X started quoting lines from it, and I was legit baffled.

"Don't talk about baseball in my house!"

I asked her how the hell she knew all the lines from a movie that wasn't out yet, basically giving up how uncultured I am. She just giggled and explained it to me.

terra

Post by terra »

I've heard of schadenfreude and never thought i'd let myself feel it... I mean just sit back and indulge the feeling.
If you look to the right of this photo, taken when everyone realised Warren Beatie's fuck-up, you can see Meryl Streep wishing she was at an MMA fight instead of the Oscars...

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

That dude who was handing out the envelopes on the side of the stage...oops.

I remember the Navy's 75th Anniversary of Naval Aviation airshow at P-cola Florida, where this Brit pilot was demo-ing the Harrier in front of thousands of naval aviators. Towards the end, he was coming in the do his landing and was coming in really slow in an almost hover, a rolling landing, and at a certain point in the approach every pilot in the audience knew this guy was going to land with his gear up in front of his peers. Sure enough...

Oops
Don’t believe everything you think.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki »

Affleck: Matt, what's happening? Matt!

Rock: WTF?!
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Didn't watch.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Apparently, Oscar viewership is down. A sign they jumped the shark: my wife didn't watch. Not even the Red Carpet.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

Never watch. Dont care.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."