Seattle People? Kshama Sawant?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Post Reply
User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37509
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Seattle People? Kshama Sawant?

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:56 pm

https://www.theringer.com/tech/2018/7/1 ... l-politics

Read this article while drinking my coffee this morning. It wasn't flattering, but I'm curious what folks closer to the issue think. Kinda weird that in this day and age we have radical socialists holding office, but hey, maybe she's great.
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6225
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:11 pm

Re: Seattle People? Kshama Sawant?

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:45 pm

Pfffffft...she's a street shitter, a socialist, AND a woman. Which means she can STFU thrice.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37509
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Seattle People? Kshama Sawant?

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:49 pm

LOL @ "street shitter". I had not heard that one before.

Free samosas for everyone!
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6225
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:11 pm

Re: Seattle People? Kshama Sawant?

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:01 pm

Woman + Socialist = I'm sure she's just as reasonable and intelligent as that Ocasio-Cortez trick on the opposite coast who is proving herself to be quite the useful idiot on a daily basis. She couldn't let her moronic comments about Israel (fuck the kikes, btw...Hitler did nothing wrong, juss sayin) sit for two days before she decided to enlighten us with the fact that unemployment is only low because "everyone has two jobs and is working 80 hours a week".

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37509
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Seattle People? Kshama Sawant?

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:15 pm

I haven't paid much attention to Ocasio-Cortez, or this one for that matter. I'm sure they're lovely people and very enlightened but as Godless communists I can't say that I would ever support them. I assume they are both part of the rising tide of gutter-dwelling socialists unleashed by Bernie.
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 20439
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Re: Seattle People? Kshama Sawant?

Post by Turdacious » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:14 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:56 pm
https://www.theringer.com/tech/2018/7/1 ... l-politics

Read this article while drinking my coffee this morning. It wasn't flattering, but I'm curious what folks closer to the issue think. Kinda weird that in this day and age we have radical socialists holding office, but hey, maybe she's great.
It would be weirder if a major left coast city didn't have a radical socialist holding office. I'm kind of surprised she's the only one.

At least Seattle hasn't gone full retard like Oakland did.
Image
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37509
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Seattle People? Kshama Sawant?

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:27 pm

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... lts-219161

Looks like Americans don't actually want the Khmer Rouge representing them.
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 10733
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:08 pm

Re: Seattle People? Kshama Sawant?

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:43 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:27 pm
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... lts-219161

Looks like Americans don't actually want the Khmer Rouge representing them.
Why don’t you make any distinction between Cambodia and Denmark or Norway?

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8397
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:59 pm

Re: Seattle People? Kshama Sawant?

Post by Shapecharge » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:29 pm

SPELLS IS TRIGGERED!!!

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37509
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Seattle People? Kshama Sawant?

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:03 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:43 am
Fat Cat wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:27 pm
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... lts-219161

Looks like Americans don't actually want the Khmer Rouge representing them.
Why don’t you make any distinction between Cambodia and Denmark or Norway?
Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:43 am
Fat Cat wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:27 pm
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... lts-219161

Looks like Americans don't actually want the Khmer Rouge representing them.
Why don’t you make any distinction between Cambodia and Denmark or Norway?
Norway is a country of 5 million with a $1 trillion sovereign wealth fund. We are a country of 320 million with $21 trillion national debt. If you can't detect the differences in our capacity for social entitlements, perhaps that will clarify things?

As for Cambodia, I'm sure you would agree that they are not a desirable model for any country to follow? But that's precisely the endgame of socialism.
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 10733
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:08 pm

Re: Seattle People? Kshama Sawant?

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:09 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:03 pm
As for Cambodia, I'm sure you would agree that they are not a desirable model for any country to follow? But that's precisely the endgame of socialism.
You think Denmark will eventually become the Khmer Rouge?

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37509
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Seattle People? Kshama Sawant?

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:57 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:09 pm
Fat Cat wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:03 pm
As for Cambodia, I'm sure you would agree that they are not a desirable model for any country to follow? But that's precisely the endgame of socialism.
You think Denmark will eventually become the Khmer Rouge?
Denmark is a market economy. I don't follow you. But in principal, yes, socialism precipitates totalitarianism.
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 10733
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:08 pm

Re: Seattle People? Kshama Sawant?

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:54 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:57 pm
Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:09 pm
Fat Cat wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:03 pm
As for Cambodia, I'm sure you would agree that they are not a desirable model for any country to follow? But that's precisely the endgame of socialism.
You think Denmark will eventually become the Khmer Rouge?
Denmark is a market economy. I don't follow you. But in principal, yes, socialism precipitates totalitarianism.
The Scandanavian countries have market economies with representative democracy, but they also construct policy to provide equality of opportunity (not equality of outcome) in education & healthcare, and other areas. They call it Democratic Socialism. It's got nothing to do with Marxist "Oops Communism was supposed to give us Socialism but now we have a Totalitarian state LOLkilledmillionsyou'repoornowkthxbai."

The Sanders folks are endorsing the democratic socialist model. Some of them are idiots, but I've seen Devin Nunes speak at length and I don't know how he survives tying his tie every morning.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37509
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Seattle People? Kshama Sawant?

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:53 pm

Fat Cat wrote:The Scandanavian countries have market economies with representative democracy, but they also construct policy to provide equality of opportunity (not equality of outcome) in education & healthcare, and other areas. They call it Democratic Socialism. It's got nothing to do with Marxist "Oops Communism was supposed to give us Socialism but now we have a Totalitarian state LOLkilledmillionsyou'repoornowkthxbai."

The Sanders folks are endorsing the democratic socialist model. Some of them are idiots, but I've seen Devin Nunes speak at length and I don't know how he survives tying his tie every morning.
Thanks for the clarification. A market economy with a strong safety net is not socialism. The United States has public education and medicare, but nobody argues that we're a socialist economy, that we have social ownership of the means of production, etc. To me, that's a false equivalence. But here's a demonstrable equivalence: the people who support socialism are supporting an anti-democratic, authoritarian, and totalitarian system, to which I provided the example of the Khmer Rouge. Sixty percent of Chile's budget was spent on social programs under Pinochet, but nobody thinks he was a pinko. You can have robust social programming without devolving into un-American extremes of either the left or the right.
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37509
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Seattle People? Kshama Sawant?

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:02 pm

Actually, you inspired me to go and look at the Democratic Socialists of America platform and uhhh, wow. We have so much to talk about. :Hangman:

https://www.dsausa.org/where_we_stand

In this new economic order where sweatshops and child labor are on the rise and capital is freed from historic national constraints, American movements for social justice must of necessity adopt the internationalism of the socialist tradition. Just as Eugene Debs said, "While there is a soul in prison, I am not free" and Martin Luther King proclaimed that, "A threat to justice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere," we must pledge to forge a new international solidarity based the spirit of the abolitionists and suffragists, the labor, peace, and civil rights movements, of modern feminism and environmentalism.
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 10733
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:08 pm

Re: Seattle People? Kshama Sawant?

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:52 am

Pretty sure DSA are just a few thousand commies rebranded.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37509
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Seattle People? Kshama Sawant?

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:51 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:52 am
Pretty sure DSA are just a few thousand commies rebranded.
Y'think?
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Post Reply