What to make of the election?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Post Reply
User avatar
lasalle
Top
Posts: 1184
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:13 am

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by lasalle » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:53 pm

Herv100 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:59 pm
lasalle wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:15 am
Herv100 wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:16 pm
lasalle wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:46 pm
No one on this board is going to convince anyone else to vote for someone other than their guy. That said, this obsession with Hunter Biden amuses me to no end. Let's apply the same journalistic/evidentiary standards you're using and apply them to Trump. How about:
-a "gift" of $10M in cash from Egypt to Trump
-Trump's bank account in China
-Trump's tax records and dodgy deductions for himself and his family
-The fuck ton of money owed by Trump, Inc to foreign governments, including Russia
-Trump jamming through a $25B no bid deal to Gingrich and other cronies

etc., etc. All all of that is 'fake news', but somehow Hunter Biden will herald the end of democracy? Hunter Biden is trading off dad's name-no doubt-but let's look at Trump's kids.

Anyway, all of this is shouting into the well.
Showing the Biden’s are blackmailable is just icing on the cake. Biden is worse in nearly every way and every issue. Look at the 2nd Amendment alone. Vote Biden if you want to be relegated to lever actions and revolvers, 1800’s technology, like a chump.
OK-I'll bite. How is Biden worse on every issue?

Let's set aside the 2nd amendment. I personally don't think the founding fathers envisioned that Leroy from East Ass, Michigan would need an Uzi, so you and I will never see eye to eye there.

I think the planet is melting, and that more coal and gas is not the way forward. Maybe I'm biased because I'm in CA which is in the process of burning to the ground, but how is Trump going to do anything but deny and drill?

Taxes: Trump has run up RECORD deficits. And you can't blame it on COVID, because he was already there by January 2020.

Maybe Trump is less of a war monger? I'll give you that one.

What else is keeping you up at night about Biden? I'm legit asking, because we as a country don't get to have dialogue with the "other side", and I'd welcome your perspective.

For what it's worth, I think Biden is 10 kinds of mediocre, but candidly I'd vote for a cadaver before I'd want to see another 4 years of Trump and his cronies.
Are you voting to repeal civil rights protections in CA?
I am anti-affirmative action and am voting accordingly. I think CA in general and SF (my area) in general are a borderline banana republic. I had a very good economic 2020. I will essentially be paying 56% tax. Let that settle in.

That said, I can't get behind the naked corruption, chaos and incompetence of the Orange One, and their deep embrace of fascism. Yes-fascism. Show me a center-right party that believes in science, and they'll get my vote.

User avatar
lasalle
Top
Posts: 1184
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:13 am

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by lasalle » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:56 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:26 pm
lasalle wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:15 am
Maybe Trump is less of a war monger? I'll give you that one.
It's more than a bit insane that you reel off really important things like "no war" as if they're afterthoughts. Is that really just some throwaway to you?
Hahahahaha. Dude. Not an afterthought. I'm trying to find one thing that this administration has done that's positively meaningful. Happy to raise a glass to him if he delivers on his promise to get the troops out of Afghanistan by Christmas. I'm not holding my breath.

User avatar
nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 12448
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by nafod » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:21 pm

That said, I can't get behind the naked corruption, chaos and incompetence of the Orange One...
Trump confirmed that an awful lot of people have a price on their principles.

Image
Don’t believe everything you think.

User avatar
lasalle
Top
Posts: 1184
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:13 am

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by lasalle » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:49 pm

nafod wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:21 pm
That said, I can't get behind the naked corruption, chaos and incompetence of the Orange One...
Trump confirmed that an awful lot of people have a price on their principles.

Image
Indeed. And there's just nothing subtle about it-it's just naked corruption and nut hugging.

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:29 pm

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by DrDonkeyLove... » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:46 pm

lasalle wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:53 pm
Herv100 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:59 pm
lasalle wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:15 am
Herv100 wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:16 pm
lasalle wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:46 pm
No one on this board is going to convince anyone else to vote for someone other than their guy. That said, this obsession with Hunter Biden amuses me to no end. Let's apply the same journalistic/evidentiary standards you're using and apply them to Trump. How about:
-a "gift" of $10M in cash from Egypt to Trump
-Trump's bank account in China
-Trump's tax records and dodgy deductions for himself and his family
-The fuck ton of money owed by Trump, Inc to foreign governments, including Russia
-Trump jamming through a $25B no bid deal to Gingrich and other cronies

etc., etc. All all of that is 'fake news', but somehow Hunter Biden will herald the end of democracy? Hunter Biden is trading off dad's name-no doubt-but let's look at Trump's kids.

Anyway, all of this is shouting into the well.
Showing the Biden’s are blackmailable is just icing on the cake. Biden is worse in nearly every way and every issue. Look at the 2nd Amendment alone. Vote Biden if you want to be relegated to lever actions and revolvers, 1800’s technology, like a chump.
OK-I'll bite. How is Biden worse on every issue?

Let's set aside the 2nd amendment. I personally don't think the founding fathers envisioned that Leroy from East Ass, Michigan would need an Uzi, so you and I will never see eye to eye there.

I think the planet is melting, and that more coal and gas is not the way forward. Maybe I'm biased because I'm in CA which is in the process of burning to the ground, but how is Trump going to do anything but deny and drill?

Taxes: Trump has run up RECORD deficits. And you can't blame it on COVID, because he was already there by January 2020.

Maybe Trump is less of a war monger? I'll give you that one.

What else is keeping you up at night about Biden? I'm legit asking, because we as a country don't get to have dialogue with the "other side", and I'd welcome your perspective.

For what it's worth, I think Biden is 10 kinds of mediocre, but candidly I'd vote for a cadaver before I'd want to see another 4 years of Trump and his cronies.
Are you voting to repeal civil rights protections in CA?
I am anti-affirmative action and am voting accordingly. I think CA in general and SF (my area) in general are a borderline banana republic. I had a very good economic 2020. I will essentially be paying 56% tax. Let that settle in.

That said, I can't get behind the naked corruption, chaos and incompetence of the Orange One, and their deep embrace of fascism. Yes-fascism. Show me a center-right party that believes in science, and they'll get my vote.
I'll bite on that one. Perhaps his tough guy personna and supposed friendliness with dictators of all stripes could lead one to that conclusion. But, I don't see any more suppression or gov't control with him than with his recent predecessors. Tough talk, yes. Tough deeds, no.

His America First deeds haven't been fascistic IMO

What am I missing.

User avatar
nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 12448
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by nafod » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:10 pm

DrDonkeyLove... wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:46 pm
I'll bite on that one. Perhaps his tough guy personna and supposed friendliness with dictators of all stripes could lead one to that conclusion. But, I don't see any more suppression or gov't control with him than with his recent predecessors. Tough talk, yes. Tough deeds, no.

His America First deeds haven't been fascistic IMO

What am I missing.
You ever recall seeing stuff like this with other candidates? A total onslaught...
Twenty former U.S. attorneys — all of them Republicans — on Tuesday publicly called President Trump “a threat to the rule of law in our country,” and urged that he be replaced in November with his Democratic opponent, former vice president Joe Biden.

“The President has clearly conveyed that he expects his Justice Department appointees and prosecutors to serve his personal and political interests,” said the former prosecutors in an open letter. They accused Trump of taking “action against those who have stood up for the interests of justice.”

The letter, signed by prosecutors appointed by every GOP president from Eisenhower to Trump, is the latest instance of Republicans backing Biden. In August, dozens of GOP national security experts signed a full-page newspaper ad endorsing Biden over Trump.
or
Seventy former Republican officials from various national security agencies pledged in an open letter Thursday to vote for the Democratic nominee, former vice president Joe Biden. They will mount a campaign in swing states to advocate for the leader of the party they have opposed their whole lives.

“While we — like all Americans — had hoped that Donald Trump would govern wisely, he has disappointed millions of voters who put their faith in him and has demonstrated that he is dangerously unfit to serve another term,”
Don’t believe everything you think.

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:29 pm

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by DrDonkeyLove... » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:35 pm

nafod wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:10 pm
DrDonkeyLove... wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:46 pm
I'll bite on that one. Perhaps his tough guy personna and supposed friendliness with dictators of all stripes could lead one to that conclusion. But, I don't see any more suppression or gov't control with him than with his recent predecessors. Tough talk, yes. Tough deeds, no.

His America First deeds haven't been fascistic IMO

What am I missing.
You ever recall seeing stuff like this with other candidates? A total onslaught...
Twenty former U.S. attorneys — all of them Republicans — on Tuesday publicly called President Trump “a threat to the rule of law in our country,” and urged that he be replaced in November with his Democratic opponent, former vice president Joe Biden.

“The President has clearly conveyed that he expects his Justice Department appointees and prosecutors to serve his personal and political interests,” said the former prosecutors in an open letter. They accused Trump of taking “action against those who have stood up for the interests of justice.”

The letter, signed by prosecutors appointed by every GOP president from Eisenhower to Trump, is the latest instance of Republicans backing Biden. In August, dozens of GOP national security experts signed a full-page newspaper ad endorsing Biden over Trump.
or
Seventy former Republican officials from various national security agencies pledged in an open letter Thursday to vote for the Democratic nominee, former vice president Joe Biden. They will mount a campaign in swing states to advocate for the leader of the party they have opposed their whole lives.

“While we — like all Americans — had hoped that Donald Trump would govern wisely, he has disappointed millions of voters who put their faith in him and has demonstrated that he is dangerously unfit to serve another term,”
No I haven't and it should probably disturb me more than it does. In my life I've seen so much abuse by intelligence agencies and the JD that I'm inured to a bunch of gov't careerists I don't know signing letters.

They may not deserve my cynicism but it's there anyway.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 40108
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:47 pm

lasalle wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:56 pm
Fat Cat wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:26 pm
lasalle wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:15 am
Maybe Trump is less of a war monger? I'll give you that one.
It's more than a bit insane that you reel off really important things like "no war" as if they're afterthoughts. Is that really just some throwaway to you?
Hahahahaha. Dude. Not an afterthought. I'm trying to find one thing that this administration has done that's positively meaningful. Happy to raise a glass to him if he delivers on his promise to get the troops out of Afghanistan by Christmas. I'm not holding my breath.
Trump is the first president in a generation who has not gotten us involved in a war. He is actively withdrawing, to howls of disapproval by globohomo, our troops from conflict zones. How can this NOT be a win?
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 40108
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:01 pm

lasalle wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:53 pm
That said, I can't get behind the naked corruption, chaos and incompetence of the Orange One, and their deep embrace of fascism. Yes-fascism. Show me a center-right party that believes in science, and they'll get my vote.
Fascism? Take a midol, review the definition of "fascism" and then substantiate that statement. Here's Merriam-Webster's definition for starters:

fas·​cism | \ ˈfa-ˌshi-zəm
also ˈfa-ˌsi- \
Definition of fascism

1 often capitalized : a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition


In what way has Trump's presidency corresponded with that definition?

He's not a dictatorial leader, he's running for president like everybody else, and has issued fewer Executive Orders than Obama, FDR, or JFK.

In what way are we seeing economic and social regimentation, with every kind of freak free to riot in the streets?

Forcible suppression of opposition? LMAO, the pussyhats run wild burning down federal facilities and police stations.

You've been so free for so long, here in the greatest country on earth, that you don't even know what fascism would look like. It's just a word you use irresponsibly to justify your confused emotional response to not getting your own way.
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

User avatar
nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 12448
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by nafod » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:34 pm

DrDonkeyLove... wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:35 pm
...I'm inured to a bunch of gov't careerists I don't know signing letters.
Appointees, not careerists.
From the article...“Although we were political appointees, it was expected that politics would play no role in the exercise of our prosecutorial discretion and that we would make decisions according to the facts and law and without regard to their political implications,” the letter says, adding that: “as the chief federal law enforcement officials in our districts, we were expected to work closely with state and local officials of all political affiliations.”

Link to WSJ

https://s.wsj.net/public/resources/docu ... tement.pdf
Don’t believe everything you think.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 40108
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:59 pm

Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

User avatar
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 7007
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:16 pm
Contact:

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by Sangoma » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:51 am

nafod wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:53 pm
Russia wasn't a democracy then. It's not now, either. Democracy doesn't seem to get along with Russians. They like their authoritarians.

There are plenty of European countries that are democratic and progressive.
You missed the point of my post completely.
Image

User avatar
nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 12448
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by nafod » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:24 am

Ahhhhhhahahahaha!
.
.
.
.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (39.21 KiB) Viewed 314 times
Don’t believe everything you think.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 40108
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:32 pm

U.S. economy posts record growth in third quarter: The 33.1% annualized growth rate reported by the Commerce Department on Thursday, the last major economic scorecard before next Tuesday’s presidential election.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN27E24T

:-$
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

User avatar
Schlegel
Top
Posts: 2149
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:21 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by Schlegel » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:39 pm

nafod wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:24 am
Ahhhhhhahahahaha!
.
.
.
.

Capture.JPG
You know they made copies, right?
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

User avatar
nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 12448
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by nafod » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:19 pm

I don't know that they ever existed, it might be just some sort of Obama birther Russia unmasking b*******. That's where my money is.

Add an aside, I dictated the above sentence to my phone, and it didn't miss a word. Technology is amazing.
Don’t believe everything you think.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 40108
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:38 pm

Dude, stop with the Russian thing. It's sad and makes you look like a panicking lesbian like Rachel Maddow.
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

User avatar
nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 12448
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by nafod » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:19 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:38 pm
Dude, stop with the Russian thing. It's sad and makes you look like a panicking lesbian like Rachel Maddow.
Oh, you mean there were actually charges stemming from the unmasking investigation?
Don’t believe everything you think.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 40108
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:41 pm

I don't even know what that means.
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

User avatar
Herv100
Sgt. Major
Posts: 3783
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:12 am

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by Herv100 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:02 pm

Leftist co-Founder of The Intercept quits over company censoring his story on Biden

https://greenwald.substack.com/p/my-res ... -intercept
Image

User avatar
nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 12448
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by nafod » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:45 pm

Consider me not surprised.
One month before a purported leak of files from Hunter Biden's laptop, a fake "intelligence" document about him went viral on the right-wing internet, asserting an elaborate conspiracy theory involving former Vice President Joe Biden's son and business in China.

The document, a 64-page composition that was later disseminated by close associates of President Donald Trump, appears to be the work of a fake "intelligence firm" called Typhoon Investigations, according to researchers and public documents.

The author of the document, a self-identified Swiss security analyst named Martin Aspen, is a fabricated identity, according to analysis by disinformation researchers, who also concluded that Aspen's profile picture was created with an artificial intelligence face generator. The intelligence firm that Aspen lists as his previous employer said that no one by that name had ever worked for the company and that no one by that name lives in Switzerland, according to public records and social media searches.

One of the original posters of the document, a blogger and professor named Christopher Balding, took credit for writing parts of it when asked about it and said Aspen does not exist.
Don’t believe everything you think.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 40108
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:58 pm

The photos, emails, telephone conversations, and money are not fake no matter what you or NBC say.
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 40108
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:12 pm

Glenn Greenwald of The Intercept wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:45 pm
First, the claim that the material is of suspect authenticity or cannot be verified -- the excuse used on behalf of Biden by Leslie Stahl and Christiane Amanpour, among others -- is blatantly false for numerous reasons. As someone who has reported similar large archives in partnership with numerous media outlets around the world (including the Snowden archive in 2014 and the Intercept’s Brazil Archive over the last year showing corruption by high-level Bolsonaro officials), and who also covered the reporting of similar archives by other outlets (the Panama Papers, the WikiLeaks war logs of 2010 and DNC/Podesta emails of 2016), it is clear to me that the trove of documents from Hunter Biden’s emails has been verified in ways quite similar to those.

...

Second, the oft-repeated claim from news outlets and CIA operatives that the published emails and texts were “Russian disinformation” was, from the start, obviously baseless and reckless. No evidence — literally none — has been presented to suggest involvement by any Russians in the dissemination of these materials, let alone that it was part of some official plot by Moscow. As always, anything is possible — when one does not know for certain what the provenance of materials is, nothing can be ruled out — but in journalism, evidence is required before news outlets can validly start blaming some foreign government for the release of information. And none has ever been presented. Yet the claim that this was "Russian disinformation" was published in countless news outlets, television broadcasts, and the social media accounts of journalists, typically by pointing to the evidence-free claims of ex-CIA officials.
Complete, very detailed article that should disturb anyone voting for Biden or trusting mainstream news: https://greenwald.substack.com/p/articl ... n-censored
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

User avatar
Herv100
Sgt. Major
Posts: 3783
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:12 am

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by Herv100 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:31 pm

Twitter suspended the account of CPB Commissioner for stating an objective fact that the border wall is hampering drug and human trafficking crossing the border.
Image

User avatar
nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 12448
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by nafod » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:16 pm

Second, the oft-repeated claim from news outlets and CIA operatives that the published emails and texts were “Russian disinformation” was, from the start, obviously baseless and reckless.
Obama Birther thing was baseless and reckless. Pizzagate was baseless and reckless. Sandy Hook as a bunch of crisis actors was baseless and reckless. And so on. Pretty much all of the conspiracy theories, especially all of the ones retweeted by the POTUS, were baseless and reckless.

Reap what you sow.
Last edited by nafod on Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Post Reply