What to make of the election?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:25 am
nafod wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:30 pm Fats, I give you permission to be the whistle blower on Trump asking for China to interfere. In case no one else saw it on TV.
Investigations are not interference. Also, I don't watch TV.
Don't be coy. China knows what Trump wants...shit on Biden, whether true or not. Whether they need to hack into US computers systems ala Russia or not. It's the smart play.

Trump is treasonous, that fucker.

There's another thread on this site called China is the Enemy. You should check it out.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

"China, if you're listening, why don't you get Trump's tax returns." - Hillary Rodham Clinton

You may descend from your soapbox, apologize for your corrosive behavior, and leave.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:03 am "China, if you're listening, why don't you get Trump's tax returns." - Hillary Rodham Clinton

You may descend from your soapbox, apologize for your corrosive behavior, and leave.
Clever citing Russian State TV, comrade. the Kettleballs have worked their magic.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Texts released showing Trump team and Ukraine both understood the quid pro quo and Rudy specifically wanted a statement about the Bidens, not corruption. I thought this was going to take way longer. Weird day for the "well there's no quid pro quo" crowd.

There's plenty of time to get Nikki Haley a nomination, who would probably stack up pretty favorably against the likely Democratic nominees.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:49 pm Texts released showing Trump team and Ukraine both understood the quid pro quo and Rudy specifically wanted a statement about the Bidens, not corruption. I thought this was going to take way longer. Weird day for the "well there's no quid pro quo" crowd.
Yesterday: NO QUID PRO QUO
Today: QUID PRO QUO GOOD

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:08 am
Fat Cat wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:03 am "China, if you're listening, why don't you get Trump's tax returns." - Hillary Rodham Clinton

Clever citing Russian State TV, comrade. the Kettleballs have worked their magic.
I'm not citing RT, I'm showing you Hillary doing the exact same thing in front of a camera.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

vern

Post by vern »

“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Interesting, so now it turns out that Paul Pelosi Jr. was also made an energy executive in Ukraine. Hmmmm.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Hmmm, Gordon Sondland is a hotel guy who bought himself an ambassadorship, and is now likely to get his President impeached.
Amid this turbulence, an unexpected figure stepped forward to assert that he was now in charge of the U.S.-Ukraine relationship. Gordon Sondland, the U.S. ambassador to the European Union, had no apparent standing to seize this critical portfolio, nor any apparent qualifications as a diplomat beyond the $1 million he’d given to Trump’s inauguration.

But when some in the White House and State Department sought to block his power grab, current and former U.S. officials said, he rebuffed their demands to know who had granted him such authority with two words:

“The president.”

...Newly released texts exchanged by Sondland, Volker and other U.S. officials during this period read like a government-sanctioned shakedown. Again and again, they make clear that Ukraine’s new president, Volodymyr Zelensky, would not get military aid or the Oval Office invitation he coveted until he committed to investigations that Trump hoped would deliver damaging information on former vice president Joe Biden and undermine the origins of the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Rather than official State Department email, the text exchanges between the diplomats took place over WhatsApp, a U.S. official said.
Gosh, they didn’t use a sanctioned government email/messaging system?

What a dumb fuck. He got played by the patriot who kept records of their texts. What a fucking moron, but then Trump picked him.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

AH HAHAHAHAHAHA *cough, sputter*
Behind the scenes: Trump made these comments during a conference call with House members on Friday, according to 3 sources on the call.

But he then threw Perry into the mix and said something to the effect of: "Not a lot of people know this but, I didn't even want to make the call. The only reason I made the call was because Rick asked me to. Something about an LNG [liquified natural gas] plant," one source said, recalling the president's comments. 2 other sources confirmed the first source's recollection.
Is there anyone who walks away from Trump not covered in liquid shit?

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

So Trump just gave our the Kurds, who did the heavy lifting in wiping out ISIS, over to the Turks. The Turks consider the Kurds terrorists. This should work out well for the Kurds.

On a completely separate unrelated note, here's a nice picture of Trump Towers Istanbul.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

The Kurds are one of the few groups left that are completely nonpoliticized and pretty much admired by everybody who isn't a Turk or ISIS fighter. I hope there's some GOP pressure to reverse course.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Rest easy, Spells

And no, this is not a fake tweet. This is a very Presidential announcement. Colorized by an un-believer.
Capture.GIF
Capture.GIF (31.35 KiB) Viewed 3535 times

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

nafod wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:24 pm Rest easy, Spells

And no, this is not a fake tweet. This is a very Presidential announcement. Colorized by an un-believer.

Capture.GIF
I'm generally Trump positive but this is not a place for his trolling hyperbole.
It sounds like the betrayal of a loyal ally but, like all things in the middle east, time will tell.
Also, like most things in the middle east, it will probably end poorly.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:25 pm The Kurds are one of the few groups left that are completely nonpoliticized and pretty much admired by everybody who isn't a Turk or ISIS fighter. I hope there's some GOP pressure to reverse course.
Your characterization of the Kurds as being non-politicized is hopelessly naive. They are continually used as a wedge by Globohomo and the neocons to try to justify continued American interventionism in Iraq and Syria, prevent the withdrawal of American forces, and to upset our delicate relationship with Turkey. Currently, Erdogan is executing a game of brinkmanship, playing the US against Russia. Trump is trying to keep them in our camp, but he recently withheld the F-35 program from them for purchasing the S-400 air defense system from Russia and needs a big give to keep them from spiraling out of our sphere of influence.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Your characterization of the Kurds as being non-politicized is hopelessly naive.
I'm unaware of any anti-Kurd US politicians. Condemnation is swift and bipartisan.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:54 pm
Your characterization of the Kurds as being non-politicized is hopelessly naive.
I'm unaware of any anti-Kurd US politicians. Condemnation is swift and bipartisan.
Not really. If this actually happens, it would be the third time in our lifetime
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Cases of three common sexually transmitted diseases in the U.S. reached a record level in 2018, according to a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Gonorrhea and cases of primary and secondary syphilis – the disease's most infectious stages – both reached their highest levels since 1991 last year. The country's 115,045 syphilis cases included more than 35,000 cases of primary and secondary syphilis, marking a 14.9% rate uptick from 2017. Meanwhile, there were more than 583,000 cases of gonorrhea, a rate increase of 5% from 2017, and the rate of reported chlamydia cases rose 3% to total more than 1.7 million in 2018 – nearly two-thirds of which were among people 15 to 24 years old, the report shows.

Together, the diseases accounted for more than 2.4 million cases – an all-time high since data on all three conditions was first collected in 1984.
https://www.usnews.com/news/healthiest- ... high-in-us
Somehow this must be Trump's fault.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:54 pm
That's not what politicization means.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Two of the guys in this picture were arrested today at Dulles Airport preparing to take an international flight, on a day when they were supposed to appear before congress and testify.

Rudy is of course their lawyer.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman...those aren't particularly Slavic names. What kind of names are those?

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:03 pm Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman...those aren't particularly Slavic names. What kind of names are those?
I don't know, but...
US Attorney just now said Parnas and Fruman had one way international tickets.
Nice picture of friends

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Giuliani with the pinky ring, lol. Fucking gross.

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

DrDonkeyLove... wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:40 pm
nafod wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:24 pm Rest easy, Spells

Capture.GIF
I'm generally Trump positive but this is not a place for his trolling hyperbole.
It sounds like the betrayal of a loyal ally but, like all things in the middle east, time will tell.
Also, like most things in the middle east, it will probably end poorly.
So....in the last few days I learned that there are a variety of Kurdish fighters; some are Maoist/Marxist terrorists who the Turks accuse of committing acts of terrorism in Turkey while others are loyal allies of the US. I considered Kurds as more-or-less a single entity and it looks like I was wrong.

Also...according to the Sec Def and Chairman of the JCS, Erdogan has been adamant for a while about invading part of Syria to attack the Kurds he considers terrorists. SecDef & CJCS story was that a small number of US troops were moved out of the conflict zone so they wouldn't be drawn into the fray. Additionally, there are still a substantial number of US troops outside of the immediate conflict zone who are based with the SDF.

It's a lot more nuanced and complicated than it seemed a few days ago. All this assumes that they were correct and that I heard things properly.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer