Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.
- Sergeant Commanding
- Posts: 5197
- Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:18 pm
- Location: Inner Pindostan
seeahill wrote: ↑
Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:44 am
2. Duolingo. Maybe at the same time. It's a gamified system of learning words. Glorified flashcards. But you do learn some words. That's good. Problem is, you don't learn those words in context.
What you get is determined by who volunteered to build the module. The Russian module is decent. I can have elementary conversations with Russians. I have a hell of a time with high frequency sounds, age and mileage, so I have to focus really hard to follow along with the modules.
The Spanish duolingo is more like a flash card than the Russian module. It's OK.
This space for let
- Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it
- Posts: 7764
- Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:07 pm
- Location: The Deep Blue Sea
Back from two weeks in Mexico. I find I can say just about anything I want and folks understand. But I still can't understand a lot of Spanish as it is spoken on the street. Most folks are nice and slow down when they see I'm not able to keep up. I even get a few compliments on my accent. But I've got a lot more work to do to become even moderately fluent.
One good thing: I was walking by a room in one hotel where a management type was giving new employees --- maids and janitors --- an orientation talk. I listened a bit and understood everything. Which means that I now speak Spanish well enough to get a job cleaning toilets.
- Jesus Christ®
- Posts: 38746
- Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
- Location: 鬼ヶ島
Those toilets aren't going to clean themselves, Cahill.
"Remember that you have no companion but your shadow." -Genghis Khan