Big Tish: Break Up the NRA

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Big Tish: Break Up the NRA

Post by Fat Cat »

New York Attorney General Sues N.R.A. and Seeks Its Closure

Seems like dizzyingly bad timing for the blues, but what do I know? What are your thoughts guys? Does this help or hurt Biden and various other RxD races around the country?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/06/us/n ... james.html
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Bennyonesix1

Re: Big Tish: Break Up the NRA

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Two thoughts:

1) She's right. I hate the NRA. They're a scam and have been for a generation.

2) Internal polling in blue states and among suburban white women looks bad. This is red meat.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

She's an incredibly talented jurist. Perfectly carries and perpetuates the rhetorical frame of her (((handlers))).

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

Like so many NGO's the NRA is a money making machine based on selling fear to its customers. Lots of arrogance and corruption at the top.
Yet, the war on 2A is real and they're its most prominent defender. A devils bargain IMO.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Bennyonesix1 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:46 pm Two thoughts:
Let's hear 'em.
Bennyonesix1 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:46 pm 1) She's right. I hate the NRA. They're a scam and have been for a generation.
I'm reasonably certain that all thinking Americans understand that the NRA is trash, but, it's what they are symbol of that matters: private ownership of firearms. While they are a corrupt, and of late useless, organization, I'm not comfortable with anybody named Letitia trying to break them up.

Bennyonesix1 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:46 pm 2) Internal polling in blue states and among suburban white women looks bad. This is red meat.
I don't quite follow you here and would appreciate a clarification of your meaning.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

DrDonkeyLove... wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:22 pm Like so many NGO's the NRA is a money making machine based on selling fear to its customers. Lots of arrogance and corruption at the top.
Yet, the war on 2A is real and they're its most prominent defender. A devils bargain IMO.
To me, they seem to be managing the glide path to an end to gun ownership.

So, it's not any kind of bargain.

It might be better to have it burnt down and start again. They dominate the field.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Fat Cat wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:25 pm
Bennyonesix1 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:46 pm Two thoughts:
Let's hear 'em.
Bennyonesix1 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:46 pm 1) She's right. I hate the NRA. They're a scam and have been for a generation.
I'm reasonably certain that all thinking Americans understand that the NRA is trash, but, it's what they are symbol of that matters: private ownership of firearms. While they are a corrupt, and of late useless, organization, I'm not comfortable with anybody named Letitia trying to break them up.

Bennyonesix1 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:46 pm 2) Internal polling in blue states and among suburban white women looks bad. This is red meat.
I don't quite follow you here and would appreciate a clarification of your meaning.
It's a sig ratcheting up. A big step. And one they could have done at any time. But they chose now. It's red meat to trigger suburban white women into staying DEM. If that bloc was secure why incur the negatives with the other blocs like the rust belt working class whites?

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Ah okay, thanks, I see what you're saying. But are our genteel white ladies really anti-gun anymore, as our cities burn and police departments crumble? I'm not up on the polling.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

That's a fair point. I don't know either. But i doubt those women identify themselves with the NRA even if they've newly come to jesus on guns.

The NRA is a proxy for bad (low status) white men re college educated white women.

So, it's an effort to remind them of their enemy and bring them back into the fold.

Same same with abortion (mostly). The psychological nexus is low status males controlling their reproduction and sex lives.

If, Mr. 6'5 rich white arrogant bf told them no sleeping around and no abortions they'd be fine.

But Newt Gingrich or McConnell or some reg white poor tells them? Nah

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Not gonna lie. Never been an NRA member. That nostril bullshit makes me want to send a donation.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:49 pm Not gonna lie. Never been an NRA member. That nostril bullshit makes me want to send a donation.
I never saw the point, and even less so once the SCOTUS issued its decision re: District of Columbia v. Heller. That said, I now believe that the Left is going for the long play to amend the constitution and/or stack the SCOTUS.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

An NRA lifetime membership is a great gift for gun haters.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

You are mental.

Why would you be so passive aggressive and shitty?

motherjuggs&speed

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

I like that idea. If I'd thought of it I would have gotten my one lefty mcliberal gun grabbing friend a membership in Gun Owners of America. And then he would be put on some list by a President he voted for.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Is GOA the kinda thing gets you on a list?

I've heard they were better but who knows.

vern

Post by vern »

“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

GOA or SAF will carry on if the NRA dies. There will be plenty of donations shifted immediately. The NRA's money was always much more in small individual donations than the anti money is.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Fat Cat wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:43 pmSeems like dizzyingly bad timing for the blues, but what do I know? What are your thoughts guys? Does this help or hurt Biden and various other RxD races around the country?
NRA wasn't a gun rights outfit until 1977. President Carter's strict enforcement of the GCA of 1968 radicalized members. Called the Cincinnati Massacre. I had friends there who voted to toss out compromisers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolt_at_Cincinnati

AG James is shadow boxing. At best she'll get La Pierre to retire. Someone more effective will come in. At worst she'll replace the NRA with the GOA. The GOA is vastly more radical than the NRA.

If she thinks she can duplicate Andrew Cuomo's extortion of Smith and Wesson while he was Clinton's HHS head - dream on.
Last edited by Gene on Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't like yourself too much.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Here was Cuomo's first attempt at this kind of Mafia style of extortion. This agreement collapsed when S&W was bankrupted by a boycott.

"We have reached a settlement with Smith & Wesson, the nation's largest gun manufacturer. This settlement will bring about fundamental changes in the areas we focused on right from the start, areas of design, distribution and advertising.

It mandates, first of all, an impressive array of safety features, including locking devices, child safety features and authorized user technology that will prevent once and for all accidental gun deaths and keep children safe.

It creates a system of authorized dealerships like we have in so many other industries that will prevent suspect firearm sales like straw purchasing and sales made without background checks that make it easier for criminals to get guns.

It bans advertising that appeals particularly to criminals and it is, as we insisted from the start, an agreement with teeth, with a real enforcement mechanism and real oversight. "

https://archives.hud.gov/remarks/cuomo/ ... mwsagr.cfm

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

If Progressives would do more work on violent crime and its causes (which isn't inequality of distribution of wealth) people would not see a need to own guns. They would diminish in civilian hands.

Those few of us who would own them, if we were left alone with them, wouldn't care a bit about registration. I already got registered stuff. I don't even notice it.

It's fixation on prohibition and confiscation that radicalizes people.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Turdacious wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:23 pm An NRA lifetime membership is a great gift for gun haters.
I own rifles, shotguns, pistols and revolvers. Nevertheless, I hate the NRA and have never been a member. But, when I lived in San Francisco, a bought NRA stickers to put on my door and windows. Bad guys see those stickers and tthink there're guns inside, They pick another house to rob.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

seeahill wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:32 am pistols AND revolvers.
:rolleyes:

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Gene wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:54 pm If Progressives would do more work on violent crime and its causes (which isn't inequality of distribution of wealth) people would not see a need to own guns. They would diminish in civilian hands.
I wish that were true.

Gun ownership has moved beyond the rational to the emotional. The "gun lifestyle" and all that. Rather than just being tools, people have defined themselves with the issue.
Don’t believe everything you think.

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

nafod wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:26 pm
Gene wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:54 pm If Progressives would do more work on violent crime and its causes (which isn't inequality of distribution of wealth) people would not see a need to own guns. They would diminish in civilian hands.
I wish that were true.

Gun ownership has moved beyond the rational to the emotional. The "gun lifestyle" and all that. Rather than just being tools, people have defined themselves with the issue.
My question is what caused the issue to become so emotional? How did it rise from tool to existential symbol? I think Gene hit it.
Gene wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:54 pm It's fixation on prohibition and confiscation that radicalizes people.
I think the closest analog is abortion where the slightest imposition is viewed as a preview to massive prohibition. Why?

Because abortion activists and gun rights activists believe the words and actions of those who want to restrict their rights. They "know" the long game is to restrict their rights to the point of oblivion. They're very aware that their enemies use market tested blather to obfuscate their true intentions. Few things are more motivating.