Weird Science: Simulations and Parallel Universes

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Weird Science: Simulations and Parallel Universes

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:45 pm

Do We Live in a Simulation? Chances Are about 50–50: Gauging whether or not we dwell inside someone else’s computer may come down to advanced AI research—or measurements at the frontiers of cosmology

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... out-50-50/

aaaannnd...

Researchers At Large Hadron Collider Are Confident To Make Contact With Parallel Universe In Days

https://www.sciencenatures.com/2020/10/ ... lider.html
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

Bennyonesix1

Re: Weird Science: Simulations and Parallel Universes

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:52 pm

This is all just a basic error which Anselm resolved in 1000AD

Ideas have being and they are defined as beings in conceptu or things which have conceptual being only. Things like unicorns and manticores and Conan The Barbarian have this sort of being. They exist but only in concept. Same with parallel universes.

There is a smaller subset of beings inconceptu which have more Being and exist both in conceptu and in re or in reality. Nafod (sadly) and The Hadron Collider are things like this.

The error lies in thinking that being in conceptu necessitated being in re. It doesn't. Except for one exception: Theos or God. And only then when it is conceived in a certain way: as that which nothing greater can be thought.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:17 pm

I'm pretty sure your gobbledygook suggests I am a god
Don’t believe everything you think.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:38 pm

No you're the Fool in the Ontological Proof

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:59 pm

Anselm reached out to me through the inconceptu and told me you're full of shit

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:46 pm

I never know what I am talking about I just parrot FB level bien pensant.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:51 am

Even tiny progression in AR/VR over thousands of years means we will eventually be able to create VR experiences indistinguishable from reality.

If you accept that, and that it's possible to go from cave paintings to creating 100% immersive VR in 100,000 years, the probability that it has already been done millions of times approaches 1, and the probability that we are in "base" reality approaches zero.

This should give religious fundamentalists comfort, since it's a lot easier to create the world in 7 days if it's all software.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:50 am

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:51 am
This should give religious fundamentalists comfort, since it's a lot easier to create the world in 7 days if it's all software.
I’m afraid we’re version 1.0

Never buy version 1.0

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:19 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Even tiny progression in AR/VR over thousands of years means we will eventually be able to create VR experiences indistinguishable from reality.

If you accept that, and that it's possible to go from cave paintings to creating 100% immersive VR in 100,000 years, the probability that it has already been done millions of times approaches 1, and the probability that we are in "base" reality approaches zero.

I'm still thinking about what the salient differences are between simulation and creation if they're indistinguishable.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:41 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:19 pm
Grandpa's Spells wrote:

I'm still thinking about what the salient differences are between simulation and creation if they're indistinguishable.
Elon Musk apparently has a rule that he won't discuss this in a hot tub any more.

I believe pretty strongly that the creeping atheism embraced by self-described scientifically-minded people will shift rapidly to agnosticism as some of the wilder tech leaps forward.

"So you believe it's possible to create a Super Intelligence capable of creating things beyond our understanding... and are also certain that it hasn't already happened in billions of years."
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:49 pm

Yeah, it seems at some point that the line between the two becomes blurred or even indistinguishable, per Arthur C. Clarke's third law.