The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: The couch thread

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

"Our understanding is that the needs of Olympic athletes and our grandparents differ by degree, not kind."
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I saw a 60+ year old woman who had started crossfitting at about 55 or 56 and she was in stunning condition.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I saw a 60+ year old woman who had started crossfitting at about 55 or 56 and she was in stunning condition.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I saw a 60+ year old woman who had started crossfitting at about 55 or 56 and she was in stunning condition.
So there's WoDing and, maybe, there's also a less retarded way to "do" Crossfit.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

SubClaw wrote: So there's WoDing and, maybe, there's also a less retarded way to "do" Crossfit.
And that could be called "circuit training." Maybe you could even circuit train in a Crossfit gym.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

kreator wrote:
Kenny X wrote:But has any @Fitter actually done well at an endurance event, after training with whatever protocols they're using?
Short answer, no.

The amorphous nature of Crossfit makes it impossible to say when you're doing Crossfit vs when you're just doing some S&C work. Take an Olympic 10k runner, have him do a few box jumps and pushups on an off day and it's fodder for them to claim he was built by Crossfit.
From what I hear, the CFE folks are now pushing this idea that they prescribed LSD all along and it was only the misinterpretation of that prescription by the masses that made it not work. (blame the consumers, not the design, and rewrite history)

But, all I remember is BMAC saying you never have to run more than 13 miles to train for a marathon. And then watching him fail over and over and over again to complete anything over 13 miles.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias
=D> =D> =D>
Applies broadly.
johno wrote:
SubClaw wrote: So there's WoDing and, maybe, there's also a less retarded way to "do" Crossfit.
And that could be called "circuit training." Maybe you could even circuit train in a Crossfit gym.
And...I think Jazz Hands are in order.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

CF=Religion of Peace.

Sure...there are plenty of good Muslim people, sure, plenty of them are secular scholarly reasonable folk, sure...these people can be found by the kajillion on all continents....just like non practicing Catholics and Jews, and Hindus...

but when it comes to the ideology and the way Islam/CF is intended to be practiced....when you READ THE ACTUAL WORDS

.....that shit is whacked and fundamentally incompatible with rational thought and sound sports practice.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:CF=Religion of Peace.

Sure...there are plenty of good Muslim people, sure, plenty of them are secular scholarly reasonable folk, sure...these people can be found by the kajillion on all continents....just like non practicing Catholics and Jews, and Hindus...

but when it comes to the ideology and the way Islam/CF is intended to be practiced....when you READ THE ACTUAL WORDS

.....that shit is whacked and fundamentally incompatible with rational thought and sound sports practice.
Crossfit chicks are hawt, tho.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

syaigh wrote:
kreator wrote:
Kenny X wrote:But has any @Fitter actually done well at an endurance event, after training with whatever protocols they're using?
Short answer, no.

The amorphous nature of Crossfit makes it impossible to say when you're doing Crossfit vs when you're just doing some S&C work. Take an Olympic 10k runner, have him do a few box jumps and pushups on an off day and it's fodder for them to claim he was built by Crossfit.
From what I hear, the CFE folks are now pushing this idea that they prescribed LSD all along and it was only the misinterpretation of that prescription by the masses that made it not work. (blame the consumers, not the design, and rewrite history)

But, all I remember is BMAC saying you never have to run more than 13 miles to train for a marathon. And then watching him fail over and over and over again to complete anything over 13 miles.
MmmmmHM. There it is. That's the kind of hogwash that needs to be removed from CrossFit. That's just stupid and illogical, and anybody who'd believe that is a stupid, illogical person.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

Tantum validus superstes

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

As far as I remember, BMac said you didn't need to run more than 13 miles to compete in a marathon race. He never said a word about actually finishing it.

Boris

Post by Boris »

So... did the Glock thing happen or not?

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Oh yeah it happened.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Christ! I was about to buy me another Glock.

Now I have to give that purchase a bit more thought....

W.B. Yeats

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Oh yeah it happened.
Background checks?
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I think there was a ceremonial presentation, then the paperwork had to be processed before possession was taken

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

johno wrote:Christ! I was about to buy me another Glock.

That G43?

One of our mutual Pork Product friends directed me towards that one.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote: 5. You cannot say that Crossfit doesn't work. Spectators were jacked. Competitors were jacked. The fittest sports crowd I have ever seen. I suspect Crossfit, as exercise, has worked better for more people than any other kind of exercise program.

BOLWSHEET.

You're telling me the 1% of asshats ages 19-35 at all the boxes who are willing to pay oodles of cash to go to the Mecca, strip to their skivvies and parade about the cult walk are the sample you feel needs referencing?

Bitch Please. I'll find you an ocean of yoga hotties or figure competitors or just flat out athletes in any number of real sports that are populated with physically pleasing specimens.

I mean....we're all happy for you that you and the homunculus made nice...but don't empty your cortex so brazenly..it saddens us all.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
johno wrote:Christ! I was about to buy me another Glock.

That G43?

One of our mutual Pork Product friends directed me towards that one.

A G19 that I was going to cut down to G26 height. So it would be a double stack magazine.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ5NiZh37VE[/youtube]

The explanation of why is at ~1:10. The field test is at 6:27.

W.B. Yeats

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote: 5. You cannot say that Crossfit doesn't work. Spectators were jacked. Competitors were jacked. The fittest sports crowd I have ever seen. I suspect Crossfit, as exercise, has worked better for more people than any other kind of exercise program.

BOLWSHEET.

You're telling me the 1% of asshats ages 19-35 at all the boxes who are willing to pay oodles of cash to go to the Mecca, strip to their skivvies and parade about the cult walk are the sample you feel needs referencing?

Bitch Please. I'll find you an ocean of yoga hotties or figure competitors or just flat out athletes in any number of real sports that are populated with physically pleasing specimens.

I mean....we're all happy for you that you and the homunculus made nice...but don't empty your cortex so brazenly..it saddens us all.
Parallettes Shaf is best Shaf.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:CF=Religion of Peace.

No, no, no. Shaf met Greg, hung out a bit, got treated nice, so it's all cool now.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Ericc
Sgt. Major

Post by Ericc »

Kenny X wrote:
syaigh wrote:
kreator wrote:
Short answer, no.

MmmmmHM. There it is. That's the kind of hogwash that needs to be removed from CrossFit. That's just stupid and illogical, and anybody who'd believe that is a stupid, illogical person.
A few years ago an owner of a local Crossfit Box showed up at the Catoctin 50k, as tough, technical and hilly as you'll find on the east coast. He told everyone and anyone he could corner that they had been training wrong and that he would win the race, set the new course record and then offer everyone a discount to his box to experience first hand the wonder of Xfit Endurance. No course specific training and nothing over 10 miles, lots of intervals, WODS, and some tempo work was what he told me he did leading up to the event. Needless to say he crashed and burned without making it to the halfway point. He showed up the next year with a few adjustments to his training (course specific training but still no more than 10 miles) and this time made it to the halfway point. Never saw him at a race again but he pops up on my FB page from time to time. No mention of ultras though.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Specificity is for insects. As long as insects is your new catch phrase for "winners".
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Chris McClinch
Sarge

Post by Chris McClinch »

Yup. As general training for people with no specific competitive goals, non-retarded versions of Crossfit are fine--as are a lot of other things. If you're preparing to compete, though, it's time to get specific with your training.

One would think this was common sense.