IronGarm

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:13 pm

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: Front squats
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:36 pm 
Gunny

How do I fix my shitty upper-spine flexibility, so I can hold the elbows-forward position while in the hole? My elbows drop severely when I get to the bottom position in the squat. Is that T-spine?

Also an issue with flexibility of my upper arms, in term of getting my elbow highs. Getting my upper arms at a "large" angle from my torso. Or am I looking in the wrong place, and the real problem is at the bottom of my spine: hips tilting the wrong way when I get to the bottom position? So I should be fixing hamstring flexibility, or keeping my lower back tight, or something?

Anyway, my form goes to shit at the bottom of the front squat.

NB I've been sitting at a computer every working day for the last 20 or 25 yrs.

Post subject: Re: Front squats
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:14 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

There's a procedure you could undergo that's pretty risky but if successful you'll be literally bulletproof. The Canadian government started the program...basically they take an extremely rare metal that can only be obtained from meteors called adamantium and they liquify it and inject it into various sites on your body whereby it binds to your bones. It is the hardest substance known in the universe. One side effect is you'll have these adamantium tines that you can project from between the knuckles of your hands and you can seriously tear up some shit with them. You might try to get in touch with a guy named Logan that had it done. I heard he might have died tho so don't be surprised if you don't find him or you could just go up to Canada and ask around about it. Oh, I assume you have good healing abilities.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:06 pm 
Gunny

Quote:
Oh, I assume you have good healing abilities.
Not gonna lie, my healing factor isn't what it used to be.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:11 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Its not necessarily a flexibility issue, its weakness. Try some t bar rows or bench rows where you are really focuaed on upper back extension. Also, in the mean time do some goblet squats with a 45 lb plate. Ive fixed this multiple times even in people with actual kyphosis. Its a strength rom issue and really comes down to being aware of your posture. What you think is normal is actually probably slouching. Your ear hole should aline with your shoulder. The other issue is simply practicing getting uour shoulder to protract, ie shift forward. You can practice this one side at a time as a flexibility exercise with a racked bar.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:55 pm 
Sgt. Major

Check your ankle flexion (both ways) and your neck extension (muscles running down front of neck under clavicles).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uwLM5n-rYmA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:34 am 
Staff Sergeant

What are your goals with the front squat?

When I was much younger and doing a little Oly lifting, I thought it was super important to Front Squat properly. So I worked on flexibility, learning to rack, etc.

Now, I couldn't give to shits about that, and it's just an alternate (and great) squat exercise. When I rotate them in, as I am right now, I use an "alternate" method".

Crossed arms, Lifting straps, SSB backwards, stingray, whatever. Don't buy a stingray, piece of shit. Luckily had a chance to try before purchase.

I'm using the strap method for the first time on my second run through Easy strength. I started super light. So far, so good.

Last edited by tonkadtx on Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:30 pm 
Gunny

Quote:
Try some t bar rows or bench rows where you are really focuaed on upper back extension.
Bench rows = lying on my stomach on a bench, and rowing?
Elbows tight to my body, or flared wide?

Quote:
The other issue is simply practicing getting uour shoulder to protract, ie shift forward. You can practice this one side at a time as a flexibility exercise with a racked bar.
Having trouble picturing this.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:14 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Try some t bar rows or bench rows where you are really focuaed on upper back extension.
Bench rows = lying on my stomach on a bench, and rowing?
Elbows tight to my body, or flared wide?

Quote:
The other issue is simply practicing getting uour shoulder to protract, ie shift forward. You can practice this one side at a time as a flexibility exercise with a racked bar.
Having trouble picturing this.

You can practice this on the floor, hanging from a bar or grabbing a rack.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:09 am 

Quote:
There's a procedure you could undergo that's pretty risky but if successful you'll be literally bulletproof. The Canadian government started the program...basically they take an extremely rare metal that can only be obtained from meteors called adamantium and they liquify it and inject it into various sites on your body whereby it binds to your bones. It is the hardest substance known in the universe. One side effect is you'll have these adamantium tines that you can project from between the knuckles of your hands and you can seriously tear up some shit with them. You might try to get in touch with a guy named Logan that had it done. I heard he might have died tho so don't be surprised if you don't find him or you could just go up to Canada and ask around about it. Oh, I assume you have good healing abilities.
Wait...is this for real?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:43 am 

Quote:
a) The claws were there before the adamantium coating.

b) The name's James Howlett.

:finga:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:10 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Attachments:
th.jpg
th.jpg [ 30.72 KiB | Viewed 465 times ]

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."