The Rhino on Recovery

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: The Rhino on Recovery

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:54 am

Find stronger people and do zone 2 cardio. A Lot.
Train at something* every day.
Let the volume do the work. If you have a question about how much volume is enough, you're not doing it. When in doubt do another good set over doing a heavier but suspect set.
Ossicilate between periods of 6-8 weeks of working up to lots of maxes (5-20) on major barbell movements and then 6-8 weeks on heavy reps 2-4s.
Use machines and dumbells for a pump and for time...never worry about the numbers here, just get in work.
Up your protein from animal based sources and reduce the variety of foods you eat.
Increase the amount of sex and cardio you're getting.
Here's where I agree with Stan...sleep beats most drugs, the best drugs will fuck with your sleep. Make naps your main hobby.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:13 am

Thanks, man. I appreciate the response.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:09 pm

I concur with BD.

If I had to do it over I would number 1 do more volume at RPE 7-9.

Number 2 I would do my main movements in gear and raw consistently, and then do a partial or derivative movements 3-5 sets of 3-5, like board presses, DL off plinths, box squats to lower or higher heights, lightened or banded or chains on basic movements and derivatives.

Not a Wendler nutswinger but his boring but big is genius. Get work in.

For both strength and hypertrophy volume matters. Intensity matters for strength more than hypertrophy. Frequency is a bigger impact on the difference between strength and hypertrophy than intensity. You want to get strong primarily then you need to do a movement or derivative 3 times a week minimum. (Except DL. Some bigger guys do better only once every two weeks. But I would argue to them do,some speed singles after squatting) If you want to get big 1-2 is fine and you need more rest. Rest drives hypertrophy. Strength is about adaptation of not only the muscular system but the neurological system.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:05 am

BD, what do you think about this:

https://www.strongfirst.com/daily-dos ... ft-plan/

To me, seems like a reasonable lifting program to follow on top of doing other sport, in my case BJJ. Right? Wrong? I know, anything from Dragondoor or Strong First is irritating by affiliation, but this seems ok.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:09 pm

Sangoma wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:05 am
BD, what do you think about this:

https://www.strongfirst.com/daily-dos ... ft-plan/

To me, seems like a reasonable lifting program to follow on top of doing other sport, in my case BJJ. Right? Wrong? I know, anything from Dragondoor or Strong First is irritating by affiliation, but this seems ok.
I like his thought process. I dislike his conclusions for you. DD is obsessed with the fallacy that the DL can or should be trained frequently as a gen pop exercise. DL is fantastic, TBDL also fantastic but heavy-ish pulling is one of the first things I remove from most people's arsenal when they have other pursuits, barring another good reason for it to be there. When I removed heavy deads from my toolkit, my throws took off. When I added them in, I stagnated for quite a while.

This is fine:

Key points:
1.Warm up – 2-4 light singles
2.3-5 singles (based on percentages on chart, rest 1-2 min between sets
3.Shoot for 5 training days out of 7

Nothing wrong with this as a notion. I can dig it. It's not really a "program" per se but a thought process I can see working.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:43 am

Thanks, BD.