Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Random Things I've Been Adding

Post by Bram » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:28 pm

Please share your own!

1. Tibialis Anterior work

This is an exercise I've debated including for a decade or more. But I recently had a couple dates with a physical therapist and she said every single client she includes calf work with also has to train the tibialis anterior. She said the first line of defense for older people in falling is
ankles, followed by hips, then taking a step. I train a few people in their 70's and one in their 80's and it's a concern in my mind that they might fall.

I have people do 2-3 sets of 10-20 reps, alternating with single-leg quad work (like lunges or step-ups). I prefer a lightly angled decline bench, but couldn't find a video.

A couple other notes. She also said that most people have horrible mobility in dorsi flexion so she focuses on lengthening the gastrocnemius and soleus before hand. She also just does standing unweighted toe raises, but I find the dumbbell to be super effective. As a surfer it helps my foot control of the board, and when I did Brazilian jiu-jitsu I noticed it made my guard tighter.
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!" - Edna St. Vincent Millay

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Random Things I've Been Adding

Post by Bram » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:11 am

2. Limited Focus on Each Exercise

After hanging out with a former bodybuilder, I was reminded of how hard I used to focus on my breathing and trying to forge a mind-muscle connection.

For the past few weeks on each exercise I've tried to find a very effective focal point. On the eccentric I breathe in through the nose, on the concentric I breathe out through the mouth, then each exercise adds one more thing.

Some effective focal points:

A) On triceps pushdowns: a max contraction at the fully extended position of each rep.
B) On rows, pull-downs/pull-ups, external rotation and reverse flies: feel the shoulder blades smoothly move down and back.
C) On abs and knee flexion work: posteriorly tilt the pelvis.

My clients have been letting me know that they feel taller and are getting sore in their upper backs from the shoulder blade movement, their triceps are sore and pumping up from the extra squeeze and their hamstrings and abs (especially those with pre-existing conditions like old hamstring injuries or disc issues) are targeted much more directly.
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!" - Edna St. Vincent Millay

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:28 pm

Ive done tibialis work since I got "Maximum Calves" by Health for Life in the early 90s. In fact, tibialis work itself contributed significantly to bulletproofing my ankles when I played rugby.

Most of what I've done is a reverse calf raise or single leg reverse calf raise off a step, but you can lean back against a wall and do it and the further out your legs are the more resistance you have.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:23 pm

Shaf, I'm assuming you're doing those unweighted?

Health for Life put out some good stuff. I did the splits as a high school freshman after following their Beyond Stretching program, and rehabbed my shoulder as a college sophomore with their 7-Minute Rotator Cuff solution.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:25 pm

Yes, unweighted, although the leaning against the wall tactic lets you provide some additional resistance

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:23 pm

Cool, thanks Shaf!

3. Tennis Ball Calf Raises

Another tip I just learned, and applied, was to put a tennis ball in the divot just behind and below your inner ankle, I believe it's on your medial calcaneus, then do calf raises.

The vast majority of people roll onto their pinkie toes, or invert their ankles, as well as externally rotate their feet. But this forces the weight distribution to be more even. My client who's had an ankle replacement (and inverts strongly) loved doing this.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:18 pm

What about some upper back exercises you like? Beyond the usual rows and chins?
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:03 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:18 pm
Front squats, snatch grip Romanian deadlifts and Karwoski rows FTW!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:43 pm

Interesting. I know that Klokov always says that front squats are for upper back. I feel like this is a weak area for me.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:39 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Hmmm....an easy way to torch your upper back is to combine reverse flyes and rows or chins.

So do a set of chins or rows, then immediately do a set of reverse flyes. Wait 60-90 seconds and repeat for 3-4 sets of each.

Another way is to combine a row with elbows by ribs, with a row where the elbows are just below shoulder height.

Other things:

*t-bar corner rows
*smoothly squeezing the scapulae down and back as you row or chin or reverse fly - you lose a lot of strength initially, but it will give a big stimulus to the mid-back
*incline bench barbell rows - I like these alternated with barbell bench
*seated cable rows where on the negative you drive the handle towards the ground - lower lat stimulus
*arnold cable rows - round your upper back as you bring the handle forwards, arch your upper back as you bring the handle towards your chest - saw these in pumping iron

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:27 pm

Bram wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:39 pm
Fat Cat wrote:
Hmmm....an easy way to torch your upper back is to combine reverse flyes and rows or chins.

So do a set of chins or rows, then immediately do a set of reverse flyes. Wait 60-90 seconds and repeat for 3-4 sets of each.
Nice, chins are on the menu today so I'll do them with rev flys. Thanks!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:29 am

I ran with the rev fly and chin superset. It was a good pump but I had to stop at three sets instead of four or five lol. I guess that illustrates my weakness.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:08 pm

Glad it seemed to do the trick <<<<q