Holding your breath: a measure of lung health?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Holding your breath: a measure of lung health?

Post by seeahill » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:09 pm

My lady friend said she was worried about me being at risk for COVID-19 due to decreased lung capacity. As you might recall, I drowned five years ago. Of course, as a guy, I said, "bullshit. My lungs are fine." So she challenged me to hold my breath. I did for just short of three minutes.

This, I know from my time as a swimmer, is longer than most people can hold their breath.

So, is that a valid measure of lung capacity?

Yes, I googled but I couldn't find any scientifically satisfying answers.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Holding your breath: a measure of lung health?

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:51 am

Yes, but because there's minute amounts of oxygen that can permeate your closed lips, it's critical to place a plastic bag over your head with some strong adhesive tape. That way you're getting a really solid indication.
"Remember that you have no companion but your shadow." -Genghis Khan

seeahill

Post by seeahill » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:53 am

You guys with your auto asphyxiation.

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:27 am

seeahill wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:09 pm
My lady friend said she was worried about me being at risk for COVID-19 due to decreased lung capacity. As you might recall, I drowned five years ago. Of course, as a guy, I said, "bullshit. My lungs are fine." So she challenged me to hold my breath. I did for just short of three minutes.

This, I know from my time as a swimmer, is longer than most people can hold their breath.

So, is that a valid measure of lung capacity?

Yes, I googled but I couldn't find any scientifically satisfying answers.
I have a 35 year old friend who has been playing with Wim Hof's methods and he hit a 3 minute PR the other day which he was bragging about. To do it when challenged like you did is impressive to me at least.

Does drowning impair the lungs permanently?

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:03 pm

It helps to be whale-ish
Don’t believe everything you think.

seeahill

Post by seeahill » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:55 pm

Of course, you mean whale-ish in the context of a great and powerful swimmer.

Luke: I don't know if near drowning damages the lungs. Googling only seems to turn up what happens on the spot and nothing on long term damage.

As for holding my breath, I think nearly 3 minutes is good and should indicate I still have good lung capacity. I was a pretty fair swimmer in college. I used to hold my breath because I thought maybe it could increase lung capacity. (No coach ever encouraged this.) Back then, 60 years ago, 4 minutes was my max.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:23 am

Three minutes was the limit to how long she could hold timmah's head down, this is clearly.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:28 pm

Hey guys, Timmah must be going stir-crazy up in Gonwanamontanaland. He sent me a PM asking a similar but different question:

Hey Shape, if I can fit 35 Sharpies in my asshole, certainly my asshole is in good condition, right? Why don't any of the gays up here want to spend time with me. I'm lonely."

Uhh, I'm not certain why he sent this to me.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:46 pm

seeahill wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:55 pm
As for holding my breath, I think nearly 3 minutes is good and should indicate I still have good lung capacity.
That's a long breath hold. Thumbs up from me.

newguy

Post by newguy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:18 pm

However, the question still remains, is this a sign of lung capacity.

I'm going to guess possibly not. Holding your breath, I think, is a learnable skill and there are things like dampening the panic reflex, remaining calm, etc. that impact it as much if not more than lung capacity.

People who may have had to do this for the military - did anyone ever recommend jogging, building aerobic capacity, etc. to get better at holding breath? Or was it mainly mind techinques of remaining calm, etc.?

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:36 pm

I'm a pretty fit dude. Not sure of VO2max, but I know I can hold ~300 watts on a bike for an hour. That's not world class, but it ain't no joke.
And there's NFW I could hold my breath for near that long.
I think meditative techniques that lower the HR and other autonomic responses and specific training to the task of holding the breath are way more conducive to getting 3 minutes that just your lungs' ability to wring oxygen out of the air.
I know there are some free diving fishermen who can go well over 5 minutes. I'd say that's down to a lifetime of just doing it.

No matter what, Tim's 3 minutes is impressive.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:49 pm

Nice.

Maybe you can take up freediving and spearfishing.

seeahill

Post by seeahill » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:53 pm

Shape, I sent that PM to you because you haven't been posting and we were all worried about you because of the STDs. Happy to see here in spite of all that.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:28 pm

Impressive like the kid born to a meth addicted mom that can tell you the date of any day of the year past or present? Cool party trick I guess but it's going to be difficult to pull any decent pussy on this one thing alone.

Tim, you're right...there just hasn't been much material to work with and I'm reluctant to go all in on your breathhold thread since there's only like six people regularly looking at IGX anymore.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:23 am

seven
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:33 am

This site...

https://necsi.edu/respiratory-health-fo ... 9-outcomes
Breathe in through the nose. Breathing through the nose helps clean incoming air, via cilia (small hairs) and mucous membranes, thus creating a shield against disease. Nasal breathing also warms and moistens incoming air.

Deep breathing. Deep breathing and exhalation bring fresh air in and can improve lung capacity. We typically breathe in and out only a fraction of our lung’s capacity. Expelling viral particles from the more stagnant areas of the lung may further decrease self-exposure to viral particles. Deep breathing is often recommended for health and well being and can be done multiple times a day on a regular schedule.

Additional lung health practices. Many additional exercises can be found for enhancing respiratory health. See Rush University Medical Center recommendations [12] for more nuanced exercises.