Heart rate monitors

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Heart rate monitors

Post by johno » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:58 pm

This has probably been asked before, but...

Any recommendations for a good basic HR monitor that can be comfortably (!) worn under a weight vest?

The only features I need: HR, high & low target alarms, average HR, and time elapsed. I don't need it to store 700 workouts & sync with other devices.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Heart rate monitors

Post by dead man walking » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:02 pm

polar always worked good
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:03 pm

You're gonna have to go with something new fangled i.e. one that doesn't use a chest strap because the signal is going to have trouble getting through the weight vest. I fucked around with this awhile back with both the x-vest and smart-vest and the HR monitor didn't work most of the time. Just fyi. Some use the wrist as the contact area...I think the new iWatch does it this way.

milosz

Post by milosz » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:18 pm

The Apple watch I was given is dead accurate with the HRM that came with my Concept 2. The downside is that you fee like a total cunt wearing an Apple Watch.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:55 am

Apple Watch.
Unacceptable.

I'll try a cheap Polar monitor & maybe strap it to my chest, next to the transmitter.

W.B. Yeats

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:55 am

You could try these guys. I've heard good things of them but, thinking back, every person who said such things had some connections or were provided with free gear.

https://life-beam.com/
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:15 pm

I bought a New Balance HR monitor at Costco. It has the features I want & No Apple phone required. Also, a fairly low profile chest strap, so it may not be too miserable under a weight vest.

W.B. Yeats

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:35 pm

Good luck with the new monitor Johno. I also needed a basic function one some time ago and bought an Omron, thinking they make quality medical products etc., so it ought to be fine, esp. for simple function. Turned out to be POS. I bought slightly more expensive Polar which, like Timex, "takes a lickin and keeps on tickin".

On a related note, (please excuse the thread detour, but I guess your search and the thread purpose are completed,) what sort of work do you plan to do with the weight vest ? (I walk with one ~3x p.w. and I'm just curious.)

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:53 pm

Johno is going to wear the weight vest in an effort to recreate the days of his youth when girls weren't allowed into the Honeycomb Hideout. OH SNAP RANGER YOU JUST GOT SERVED!!!111!

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:32 am

Hey Fucker! You may not know it, but the very existence of the H________ H______ is NOFORN, TOP SECRET. Not even Hillary's server had the super secret location.

I feel sorry for you now, Shape. You'll never hear it coming. (Just like in the showers in EOD School.)

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:34 am

Ahem. Now that I've regained my composure...

Yeah, Cayenne, I'm just going to do fast walks wearing the vest & exercising the doggies. I'm interested to see what effort it will take to get to my target zone.

W.B. Yeats

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:51 pm

MARIO YOU FUCKER...REMOVE MY POST ABOVE STAT! DON'T WANT TO GET ZAPPED FOR REVEALING SECRET INFO. DON'T FUCK THIS UP.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:59 pm

johno wrote:Ahem. Now that I've regained my composure...

Yeah, Cayenne, I'm just going to do fast walks wearing the vest & exercising the doggies. I'm interested to see what effort it will take to get to my target zone.

I'll wager you find the zone is easier to modulate with pace and terrain than weight. Let us know what the break point is in terms of weight where the HR stays elevated but you don't get upper back and neck fatigue.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

MeatPlow
Staff Sergeant

Post by MeatPlow » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:32 am

Johno,

I use a Polar HRM and it works fine under my weight vest. I think I gave around $50 for mine. I started BJJ earlier this year and of course did all the reading I could how to get in condition for BJJ. Of course, you have to get mat time and learn how to roll and relax but if you are like me I can only get to the gym 1-2x per week. Next step for me was HIIT stuff, burpees, sprints, sledge hammers, and all that, didn't help me a single bit on the mat. This made me scratch my head a bit when I would gas out within minutes when I read that these things would turn you into a beast that could not be stopped. For me, like most things, not true. So, I said screw all that and started slow jogging. Started with 2 miles and worked up to 6 miles. All of a sudden, I had fire power on the mats. Within a month I could roll for 45minutes straight and never get a hard wind. Aching pumped forearms and dead hands, yes, but never gasping like a fish out out of water. The problem with the jogging here is in the summer months deer flies will eat you alive. So that brings to my weight vest.

I started walking on my treadmill with my vest loaded to 50lbs. I decided that of 3 variables I was going to keep 2 out of 3 constant. The weight and speed is what I decided to keep constant, 50lbs and 3mph. I chose the incline to be the variable that changes. I do 4 walks per week, 2x45 min and 2x 60min. Occasionally I do a longer one, like yesterday I did 1.5hr. I started at 3% incline and adjusted up by .5 every 3 minutes until it put me out of my zone(125-135bpm) and then I would step back a notch to see how long I could hold at that level. At first 4-4.5 would put me out of zone quickly, but like yesterday I had to move all the way to 5.5% incline to go out of the zone. By the end though I was back down to 3.5% as fatigue set in, which is fine. I'm just going to keep working with the incline until it maxes out, where that my be. From there, I'll add weight. Just to note, I burned over 900cals in that time period according to my HRM. I know some will say their not accurate, that may be true, but its consistent, thats what matters. I fatigued really bad in my upper back and neck at first but after a few weeks, but not nearly as much now. I sort of like it for my purposes, when you get fatigued it sort of simulates having to breathe when some one has side control, knee on belly or mount and is putting lots of pressure on you. Not nearly as intense but it does labor the breathing.

thats was pretty long to pretty much say nothing, but one more thing I am leaning down big time. I am weighing between 173-177lbs now a day and starting to get vascular, with some veins starting to show in my lower abs and one in my shoulder. On the strength side a few weeks ago did 20 chinups, something that I hadn't done in nearly 18 years, since have been working on weighted ones since I have a loftier goal there.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:40 pm

MeatPlow wrote:Johno,

I use a Polar HRM and it works fine under my weight vest. I think I gave around $50 for mine. I started BJJ earlier this year and of course did all the reading I could how to get in condition for BJJ. Of course, you have to get mat time and learn how to roll and relax but if you are like me I can only get to the gym 1-2x per week. Next step for me was HIIT stuff, burpees, sprints, sledge hammers, and all that, didn't help me a single bit on the mat. This made me scratch my head a bit when I would gas out within minutes when I read that these things would turn you into a beast that could not be stopped. For me, like most things, not true. So, I said screw all that and started slow jogging. Started with 2 miles and worked up to 6 miles. All of a sudden, I had fire power on the mats. Within a month I could roll for 45minutes straight and never get a hard wind. Aching pumped forearms and dead hands, yes, but never gasping like a fish out out of water. The problem with the jogging here is in the summer months deer flies will eat you alive. So that brings to my weight vest.

I started walking on my treadmill with my vest loaded to 50lbs. I decided that of 3 variables I was going to keep 2 out of 3 constant. The weight and speed is what I decided to keep constant, 50lbs and 3mph. I chose the incline to be the variable that changes. I do 4 walks per week, 2x45 min and 2x 60min. Occasionally I do a longer one, like yesterday I did 1.5hr. I started at 3% incline and adjusted up by .5 every 3 minutes until it put me out of my zone(125-135bpm) and then I would step back a notch to see how long I could hold at that level. At first 4-4.5 would put me out of zone quickly, but like yesterday I had to move all the way to 5.5% incline to go out of the zone. By the end though I was back down to 3.5% as fatigue set in, which is fine. I'm just going to keep working with the incline until it maxes out, where that my be. From there, I'll add weight. Just to note, I burned over 900cals in that time period according to my HRM. I know some will say their not accurate, that may be true, but its consistent, thats what matters. I fatigued really bad in my upper back and neck at first but after a few weeks, but not nearly as much now. I sort of like it for my purposes, when you get fatigued it sort of simulates having to breathe when some one has side control, knee on belly or mount and is putting lots of pressure on you. Not nearly as intense but it does labor the breathing.

thats was pretty long to pretty much say nothing, but one more thing I am leaning down big time. I am weighing between 173-177lbs now a day and starting to get vascular, with some veins starting to show in my lower abs and one in my shoulder. On the strength side a few weeks ago did 20 chinups, something that I hadn't done in nearly 18 years, since have been working on weighted ones since I have a loftier goal there.
I found that informative,keep us (me updated).
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:06 pm

I returned the New Balance HR monitor to Costco (instructions too opaque & controls too fussy for me) and got a Polar FT4. I've used it 2-3 times. At the fire station, I was pleased to see that it synched to the Precor treadmill's monitor, so I didn't even need the wristband.

Meatplow, thanks for the info. You're getting the BJJ results I'm after. I'm also after whatever health benefits low & slow cardio offers, which seems significant from what I read. Without a weightvest, I get to about 110 HR at 5% @ 4mph. I will hit the treadmill or trail 2-3 times per week & see what I get.

So far, the weightvest doesn't make the chest monitor uncomfortable.

W.B. Yeats

MeatPlow
Staff Sergeant

Post by MeatPlow » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:35 pm

johno wrote:I returned the New Balance HR monitor to Costco (instructions too opaque & controls too fussy for me) and got a Polar FT4. I've used it 2-3 times. At the fire station, I was pleased to see that it synched to the Precor treadmill's monitor, so I didn't even need the wristband.

Meatplow, thanks for the info. You're getting the BJJ results I'm after. I'm also after whatever health benefits low & slow cardio offers, which seems significant from what I read. Without a weightvest, I get to about 110 HR at 5% @ 4mph. I will hit the treadmill or trail 2-3 times per week & see what I get.

So far, the weightvest doesn't make the chest monitor uncomfortable.
It struck me strange that the HIIT work provided nothing for me. I had an embarrassing moment at class, I had to cardio tap, I was gassed and getting ready to throw up. That embarrassed me along with being majorly pissed on the way home. That's when I changed. The results showed up soon after, and my teammates noticed it too.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:50 pm

Results will be in my Training Log.
Today, my first "official" day - I was surprised how fast I got in my zone (102-130) walking a moderate incline with my weighted vest.

W.B. Yeats

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:07 pm

There is a reason that the 'aerobic base' seems present in almost any kind of sporting or fighting activity, eh?

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:19 pm

Shaf, I'd settle for just the health benefits alone. But improved gas on the mat would be a REALLY welcome bonus.

W.B. Yeats

MeatPlow
Staff Sergeant

Post by MeatPlow » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:28 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:There is a reason that the 'aerobic base' seems present in almost any kind of sporting or fighting activity, eh?
Just like with everything else I fell for the fad shit. I'm not saying it is entirely worthless, but for me, no improvement. 4x per week cardio zone for me with a little lifting and bodyweight exercises is the key.

Just like protein. Stuffed myself for years, didn't help anything. Now, I just try to get between 100-125 grams a day and eat plenty of good carbs and feel tons better all the way around. Probably could go down to around 75-100 grams and be just as good.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:29 pm

MeatPlow wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:There is a reason that the 'aerobic base' seems present in almost any kind of sporting or fighting activity, eh?
Just like with everything else I fell for the fad shit. I'm not saying it is entirely worthless, but for me, no improvement. 4x per week cardio zone for me with a little lifting and bodyweight exercises is the key.
Same. At some point you have to choose. If my cardio is so savage that my lifting suffers, or for people with different goals, if their lifting is so savage that their cardio suffers, what are you doing?

Like Plow, I feel better and do better with LSD cardio rather than trying to leave the biggest puddle of sweat beneath the treadmill.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:24 am

Huh? Insane. Doing nothing to improve your aerobic base doesn't improve your aerobic base? Next you fools will say that my pink dbs don't improve my max squat.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

MeatPlow
Staff Sergeant

Post by MeatPlow » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:28 am

WildGorillaMan wrote:
MeatPlow wrote:
Same. At some point you have to choose. If my cardio is so savage that my lifting suffers, or for people with different goals, if their lifting is so savage that their cardio suffers, what are you doing?

Like Plow, I feel better and do better with LSD cardio rather than trying to leave the biggest puddle of sweat beneath the treadmill.
I wonder if Ross Enamait has changed his stance any on this? From what I remember old time road work was spoke of utterly worthless in comparison to Burpee intervals and the like.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:04 am

So here's an interesting factoid, file this away for future reference.

For the last while my Polar H7 had been giving me fucked up, unreliable readings. Wild swings in HR, weird dropouts, and making it look like I've got arrythmia or whatnot.

Since I clearly do not, I wasn't alarmed enough to see a doctor, but it vexed me.

Anyway, my H7 croaked, and it's not even three years old. Still, they're not a lot of money, and I don't see a lot of decent alternatives out there, so I bought a new one.

Well, this one works just fine.

It was only then that I put two and two together: the orignal Polar strap for my H7 had died, and since I was too cheap to buy an OEM strap to replace it ($30!) I went with a dirt-cheap 3rd party strap.

It was then that my old H7 started giving bad readings.

It also makes me wonder if using a crappy 3rd party strap shortened the life of my H7 or if it was unrelated.

Learned my lesson. Buy quality.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.