Heart rate monitors

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Re: Heart rate monitors

Post by aussie luke » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:05 am

I picked up a very cheap used Garmin plastic strap which worked fine for the C2 rower. Then I picked up a cheap Garmin forerunner 610 that came with a Garmin soft strap. This strap also worked fine for rowing but was absolutely useless for running. Tried the other strap for running and that was useless too. On both my hr was in the 200+ range within 20 seconds of starting.

Found out the problem was static from running shirts. Without even moving I could jiggle the front of my shirt over the strap and get a hr reading off the charts. I row shirtless so never got that problem.

Turns out there are pages of forums devoted to runners and cyclists trying to solve the problems with Garmin straps, and I believe some Polars too. Half the problem is static and the other half getting the pads wet and staying wet. Some have to use medical ecg gel etc.

Solution for me was to buy a Wahoo Tickr.

It is just a strap (no watch with it). It is dual band ANT and Bluetooth so works with C2, Garmin watch, and direct to apps on my iPhone.

Best of all has absolutely no problems from static or poor conductivity. Just fucking works.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:19 am

aussie luke wrote:

It is just a strap (no watch with it). It is dual band ANT and Bluetooth so works with C2, Garmin watch, and direct to apps on my iPhone.

Best of all has absolutely no problems from static or poor conductivity. Just fucking works.
Fock, I could have used this info less than two weeks ago.

Still, thanks for the heads up. I'll file that away until I need it.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:51 am

WildGorillaMan wrote:
aussie luke wrote:

Fock, I could have used this info less than two weeks ago.

Still, thanks for the heads up. I'll file that away until I need it.
Sorry mate. Still worth knowing for next time.

Another couple of things I forgot to mention in first post:

The older garmins and I think some Polars also have problems with sweat/salt build up in the strap material. You are meant to wash them in the machine with your clothes every week or so with regular use, otherwise the build up becomes too much and it fucks with the conductivity. Seems sometimes you can soak, rinse and wash an old one a few times and it might come good, but often once they're fucked they stay fucked. This problem shows later into a workout I think - it starts off working ok then half an hour in when you get sweaty you start to get dropouts or a steady fade in hr.

The Wahoo and I think the newer Polars and garmins fix this by the strap joining to each side of the actual sensor unit with press studs - think the ones where the strap goes all the way around and the unit clips to the front have the most problems. Some have got round it by cutting the strap between the two connectors.

Also cotton shirts don't have the static problems - just the poly/nylon wicking shirts. But who wants to run or ride in a soaking wet cotton shirt just to get a decent HR reading.

I wish I'd known about the tickr sooner too - could have avoided a few weeks of googling and dicking around to solve a simple problem. A HR strap has one job and when it doesn't do it right it's absolutely fucking useless - and worse than that can cause actual worry thinking you have cardiac problems!

Again the Tickr just bloody works. Every time.

Another one that apparently is very good is the scosche rhythm. It's an upper arm strap with optical sensors that is much more accurate than the wrist based ones. Highly rated and used by DC Rainmaker who uses and reviews all these things to death. Only problem is it is rechargeable and has a short (8hr) battery life so needs charging often - fine until you forget to charge it. But worth a look.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:09 pm

Today my new Polar H7 went nuts. Sure enough, I was wearing an UnderArmor shirt while I was doing cardio.

I've only had it two weeks, so I'm returning to Amazon, and I just ordered a Wahoo Tickr to replace it.

Thanks for the recommendation, AL!
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:19 am

WildGorillaMan wrote:Today my new Polar H7 went nuts. Sure enough, I was wearing an UnderArmor shirt while I was doing cardio.

I've only had it two weeks, so I'm returning to Amazon, and I just ordered a Wahoo Tickr to replace it.

Nice one - hope it works out after my recommendation!

I have had no trouble from static with my Tickr. The only thing to make sure of is as with all HRMs is to wet the pads before you go (I just spit on my finger and rub it on [that's what she said]). My first run in the Tickr was a bit off - high HR right at the start, but it was due to this, not static, and because I hadn't adjusted the strap quite tight enough.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:25 pm

WildGorillaMan wrote:Today my new Polar H7 went nuts. Sure enough, I was wearing an UnderArmor shirt while I was doing cardio.

Not the Captain America version... maybe someone from Alpha Flight?
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America