Goals you've set for 2016

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Re: Goals you've set for 2016

Post by Luke » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:52 am

Geez Bob, hang in there mate.

Thanks for all the advice, mornings are kicking my ass and you were spot on about it going to take awhile davidc. I thought it would click but I'm looking haggard in the office and have slept through some alarms already. Will stay the course though.

Good luck everyone!

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:01 pm

Beer Jew wrote: 4. Get my APM Practitioners Qualification.

5. Sell the apartment we just exchanged on by the end of the year, making at least 12%.
BrewJew, what do these mean? Not trying to get in your business but what is this APM thingy and what do you mean by exchanged? Just curiouso.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:32 pm

Shapecharge wrote:

5. Sell the apartment we just exchanged on by the end of the year, making at least 12%.
BrewJew, what do these mean? Not trying to get in your business but what is this APM thingy and what do you mean by exchanged? Just curiouso.
Shape, no worries, always happy to help a fellow homo.

APM is the Association for Project Management, the largest European professional body for Project Managers. The Practitioners Qualification is simply an internationally recognised qualification that demonstrates you're a competent and experienced Project Manager.

https://www.apm.org.uk/PQ

Within the organisation I currently work, I could (and plan) to make partner without any professional qualification, but I like covering myself, and if I decide to make a move my earning potential is higher with a recognised professional qualification. It's the equivalent of the PMI Project Management Professional qualification in the US, although the assessment criteria is a little harder over here.

As for exchange, when you purchase a property in the UK, there is often a delay between making the offer and actually moving into the new home, so therefore there are three steps to the purchase. The first is to put down an offer, usually verbal, and this results in the property being taken off the market if the offer is accepted. The solicitors then draw up the contracts, the buyer finds a mortgage etc. and when all is ready, the solicitors on both sides "exchange contracts". At this point you are legally bound to purchase the property, so if you pull out you could be heavily penalised. Typically at the very least you'd lose your deposit. The third step is completion, which is the day the property is ready for you to move into. Completion essentially involves transferring the rest of the funds, and receiving the keys.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:40 pm

Right on. Thanks for the info. Interesting to hear how things work elsewhere.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:12 pm

Beer Jew wrote:
Shapecharge wrote:

APM is the Association for Project Management, the largest European professional body for Project Managers. The Practitioners Qualification is simply an internationally recognised qualification that demonstrates you're a competent and experienced Project Manager.

Within the organisation I currently work, I could (and plan) to make partner without any professional qualification, but I like covering myself, and if I decide to make a move my earning potential is higher with a recognised professional qualification. It's the equivalent of the PMI Project Management Professional qualification in the US, although the assessment criteria is a little harder over here.

As for exchange, when you purchase a property in the UK, there is often a delay between making the offer and actually moving into the new home, so therefore there are three steps to the purchase. The first is to put down an offer, usually verbal, and this results in the property being taken off the market if the offer is accepted. The solicitors then draw up the contracts, the buyer finds a mortgage etc. and when all is ready, the solicitors on both sides "exchange contracts". At this point you are legally bound to purchase the property, so if you pull out you could be heavily penalised. Typically at the very least you'd lose your deposit. The third step is completion, which is the day the property is ready for you to move into. Completion essentially involves transferring the rest of the funds, and receiving the keys.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:36 pm

Beer Jew wrote:
Shapecharge wrote:

This is all really interesting stuff, BJ.

Seriously.

No, really.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:26 pm

Teri, I would like to cordially be the first to invite you this new year to go fuck yourself.

I though it was interesting you piece of rotten dog meat that's why I asked. Jeez.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:40 pm

Shape, if you don't mind I'll handle this one.

Go away Terrence and stop being horrid again!

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:57 pm

Shapecharge wrote:Teri, I would like to cordially be the first to invite you this new year to go fuck yourself.
You're far from the first, luv.

And, BJ...POF!

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:17 am

Dang it! I wanted to be the first. This year is already starting off shitty.

mike.b
Staff Sergeant

Post by mike.b » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:06 pm

TerryB wrote:
Beer Jew wrote:
Shapecharge wrote:

This is all really interesting stuff, BJ.

Seriously.

No, really.
How much does one have to bench to get the APM qualification? Raw or with gear? what training routine would one use to prepare for the APM?

Thanks!

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:49 pm

Personally, I wouldn't hire an APM without, at least, an 1800+ raw total or 2400+ equipped total.

Anything less shows lack of commitment and subpar genetics.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:30 am

Will continuing stepping towards my 300 lb. DL and will walk a lot. There will be other stuff but these are all I really care about.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:50 am

FWIW

3 Differences Between Goals and Intentions
Goal setting is a valuable skill that helps us stay on track and get things done. They are essential for completing tasks. We set goals such as developing a new business skill, learning a new hobby or cleaning the garage. The question becomes, are you going to fulfill your goal? Will you be a success or not? Will you be happy once you reach the goal? Will you set another goal or feel like a failure if the goal is not reached?

Goals, while moving us toward what we say we want, can take us out of the moment and create a feeling that what we have isn’t enough. A background feeling of unease can come over us if our goal-oriented life discounts our present moment. In short, while goals can move us forward, we can also feel victimized by constant goal setting.

Living your intentions, on the other hand, is much different than having a goal-oriented focus. Being intentional allows you to focus on how you want to be in the moment, independent of whether you are winning or losing. Allowing intentions to guide your moment to moment focus, means you are living your values and what matters most to you.

Focusing on your intentions does not mean you give up your goals or desire for achievement. By partnering goals with intentions you will become one of the few people in life who enjoy the journey as much as the destination. Here are three differences between goal setting and intentions:

Goals are focused on the future. Intentions are in the present moment.
Goals are a destination or specific achievement. Intentions are lived each day, independent of reaching the goal or destination.
Goals are external achievements. Intentions are your inner-relationships with yourself and others.
A metaphor may help make this distinction. We live in the Pacific Northwest with many wonderful day hikes that allow spectacular views. Our goal may be to hike to the top of a small mountain and wish to see the extraordinary view from the summit. It’s a worthy goal that gets us excited and motivates us to schedule the hike.

Before we begin the hike, we set our intention to be present to the sights and smells along the trail, noticing the beauty of the plants and unexpected vistas with each twist in the trail. Even if the Northwest fog unexpectedly rolls in, our intention to enjoy one another and nature’s beauty can be fulfilled. We return home not feeling victimized by not reaching our goal but, as Creators, fulfilling our intention.

JohnDoe
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnDoe » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:15 pm

More days of YRG/DDP and Foundation Training than last year, and more days of lifting than last year, both in the vein of 'more often than not'.

Stop thinking I'm going to get on the erg and stick with it. If I do anything, it's getting in a boat, not sitting on that damn thing and pretending. The rower's not bad, but it's like running trails for years and thinking your treadmill is the same sort of thing.

Get a couple of easy certifications for my resume and look at other jobs, but be choosy.

Way, way, way, way more important than any of the above: be a good husband to my pregnant wife and have a blast with our firstborn coming at the end of May.

kreator

Post by kreator » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:31 pm

- Squat 400 (325 as of last week)
- Consistent 160+ bodyweight (158 as of last week)
- Stay relatively in shape running and swimming
- Finish A School, SERE, and get to FRS
- Get hitched

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:55 am

What's up, kreator?! It's been a while!

kreator

Post by kreator » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:40 pm

sup bros. I've been lurking for a few weeks now but posting again. have a little more free time now.

I dig big chicks
Staff Sergeant

Post by I dig big chicks » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:29 am

Weight loss, as usual. I need to live longer. I started lifting again, and I need to add cardio back in. So once the gym move is finished- we open up next week or so- I will focus on doing some more cardio, mainly walking, 2-3 days a week or more.

Lifting wise, 270 kilo back squat one more time. I haven't done that since 2008.

Boris

Post by Boris » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:04 am

I don't know if I posted here earlier or not, but here were my very paltry goals for 2016:
*Train "more often than not"
*Hit bodyweight on the bar x age in my squat
*20 Chins
*200lbs 1-arm DL w. the 2" vertical bar

So far, I'm 2 of 4. I will end the year having "trained" (loosely defined as something strength related) 70%+ of the 366 days in 2016. Tonight, I got 20 chins - probably the first time I've hit this number in pull-ups or chins in at least 2 decades. I didn't take video of it, but the boy was witness. The last rep the chin didn't clear the bar, but it did touch it, so I'm counting it! Pretty happy about it and nowhere else to brag except here w. you MFers. Here's a video of me doing 18 last week:

I'll give the squat and one-arm deadlift goals a shot before the year is done.

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:38 pm

davidc wrote:Wondering what training goals the rest of you have set for 2016, and any plans you have to make them happen.
Mine is rather modest but because it plays to my weaknesses (literally) it will take some work.
I'd like to hit a 1000 lb total for the three power lifts. I know that's a breeze for many if not most of y'all but it will take some work for me. My natural aptitude is for endurance, not strength. I'll have to hit 25 year old prs on 2 of the three lifts to do it.
My plan is to work the squat really hard, and be consistent on presses. Usually my deadlift will go up if I squat, so I won't be doing it as much.
Depending upon what happens in my professional life, I could have to scrap this goal as early as March (important stuff happening then) for the sake of doing manageable stress-relieving workouts like yoga and running. But I really don't want to. I'd like to lift if I can pick.
What about the rest of us?
Have y'all set new goals for the year, and what are they?
What I actually did in 2016:
Squatted every day for several months and hit a lifetime (but very modest) pr in the full ATG squat.
Then I quit squatting daily in mid-spring because my best friend asked me to enter an October half marathon with him. The race was cancelled at the last minute due to a hurricane. But I went on regular long runs with my bud for months in a row so that was nice.
Entered a December kb competition at the last minute (had about six weeks to train) and won the 24kg long cycle division.
After slimming down last year I gained 20 pounds, mainly because I didn't feel like dieting while training for a half marathon. Probably didn't help that I had a beers with close friends 1-2 times a week all year, but I really strengthened my friendships this year so I've got no regrets honestly, weight gain or no.
Not really disappointed with how this year turned out.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:47 pm

davidc wrote:
davidc wrote:Wondering what training goals the rest of you have set for 2016, and any plans you have to make them happen.
Mine is rather modest but because it plays to my weaknesses (literally) it will take some work.
I'd like to hit a 1000 lb total for the three power lifts. I know that's a breeze for many if not most of y'all but it will take some work for me. My natural aptitude is for endurance, not strength. I'll have to hit 25 year old prs on 2 of the three lifts to do it.
My plan is to work the squat really hard, and be consistent on presses. Usually my deadlift will go up if I squat, so I won't be doing it as much.
Depending upon what happens in my professional life, I could have to scrap this goal as early as March (important stuff happening then) for the sake of doing manageable stress-relieving workouts like yoga and running. But I really don't want to. I'd like to lift if I can pick.
What about the rest of us?
Have y'all set new goals for the year, and what are they?
What I actually did in 2016:
Squatted every day for several months and hit a lifetime (but very modest) pr in the full ATG squat.
Then I quit squatting daily in mid-spring because my best friend asked me to enter an October half marathon with him. The race was cancelled at the last minute due to a hurricane. But I went on regular long runs with my bud for months in a row so that was nice.
Entered a December kb competition at the last minute (had about six weeks to train) and won the 24kg long cycle division.
After slimming down last year I gained 20 pounds, mainly because I didn't feel like dieting while training for a half marathon. Probably didn't help that I had a beers with close friends 1-2 times a week all year, but I really strengthened my friendships this year so I've got no regrets honestly, weight gain or no.
Not really disappointed with how this year turned out.
Having beers with friends is mental fitness/destressor,so nothing wrong with that!
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:55 pm

Bobby wrote: Having beers with friends is mental fitness/destressor,so nothing wrong with that!
Yep. I very purposefully scheduled beers with my friends regularly. I'd enter the "meeting" on my calendar so my secretary wouldn't schedule something over it. I'd set the meeting at this comfortable pub two blocks from my office, and we'd meet just before the five o'clock rush started. I'd always leave in time for supper at home. My job often has long hours and unexpected events that require me to drop everything I'm doing. So Ive mad sure to schedule time with friends often so that I wouldn't simply be living from one crisis to another without having fun times in between.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:26 am

Dunn 2016 wrote:Seems like this first one has been haunting me for 2 years but...

-hit MS numbers in LC; 54ish reps by most charts
-really work the BJJ stuff and hit a comp or two

Non Training...
-start and finish my RN degree
-continue this crazy parenting thing
-put in more meditative/ritual time

I'm still at the same place in GS. Haven't hit 54 reps but didn't really push it either. Did decent with BJJ this year. Hit 3 comps and medaled in all 3. Still a white belt, but I could care less.

Finished all the course work for my RN degree, just waiting on a spot to open up for my graduation exam.

Kid is still alive and doing well. Goal achieved.

All in all not a bad year.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:40 am

Holland Oates wrote:I'm focusing on cardio. Lots and lots of cardio and absolutely no heavy barbell work.
I did and I didn't. Did a 12 week bar bell cycle over the summer and then focused on cardio and GS afterwards really ramping it up towards December.
Holland Oates wrote:I'm going to use my heart rate monitor for every session except for the interval sessions.
Heart monitor started fucking up so I dropped it.
Holland Oates wrote:I'm also pitching some serious woo this year. Lots of yoga, Wim Hoff breathing, maybe some dousing, meditation, and focusing on happiness and health in my training.

Tried the Wim Hoff stuff for about a week. Didn't do shit for me. Never really got around to any of that other shit either.
Holland Oates wrote:I'm also going to try and go vegetarian with eggs and milk products during the day and eat meat only at night.
Didn't do this but cut back meat intake starting in November and still doing it except for eating out and family stuff. Shake in the morning, a gallon of water most days, little to no junk, no alcohol, little to no dairy, no more than 6 ounces of meat a day, and lots of beans. It started out as part of a challenge and now it's pretty much how I eat now.
Holland Oates wrote:I'm also going to focus on lots of drills for throwing is year. I want to hit my fat boy numbers at my current weight.
Nope. I can't make myself give a fuck about throwing.
Holland Oates wrote:I'd even like to hit 185 for summer.
Hit low 190s high 180s in November. Holding mid 190s.
Holland Oates wrote:Shooting for a mid year GS comp and more highland games this year.
Nope.

The positives are I lost weight, feel great, PRd my long cycle numbers with 24s, and I've worked very little the last few months.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality