Training Gloves

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

User avatar
Fuzzy Dunlop
Top
Posts: 2077
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:38 pm
Location: Hub

Training Gloves

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:50 am

I've been using the same pair of shitty, 30 dollar, Everlast heavy bag gloves for damn near 10 years on and off now. They're probably the cheapest Everlast gloves you can get that actually have a padded thumb. They're dead. they smell almost as bad as hockey gloves and the "leather" is starting to crack on the knuckles.

I need new gloves and I want "real" training gloves. Or at least ones that I could bring to an actual boxing gym and not be embarrassed about. I'm going to use these for hitting the heavy bag 99% of the time.

Don't want to pay a ton of money. Suggestions please. Would prefer velcro closures.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

User avatar
Herv100
Sgt. Major
Posts: 3696
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:12 am

Re: Training Gloves

Post by Herv100 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:04 am

Twins
Image

User avatar
Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 14137
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:32 am
Location: GAWD'S Country
Contact:

Re: Training Gloves

Post by Holland Oates » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:13 am

I don't know about the brand but keep an eye on MMAHQ.com they have a deal every 24 hours and every now and then they do rolling deals every 20 minutes. Lots of boxing/fighting gear.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 9697
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: Training Gloves

Post by TerryB » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:34 am

New gloves won't fix anything or make you a better striker.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Image

User avatar
Fuzzy Dunlop
Top
Posts: 2077
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:38 pm
Location: Hub

Re: Training Gloves

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:39 am

TerryB wrote:New gloves won't fix anything or make you a better striker.
Go away, Terri.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

User avatar
Fuzzy Dunlop
Top
Posts: 2077
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:38 pm
Location: Hub

Re: Training Gloves

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:19 am

Herv100 wrote:Twins
https://www.amazon.com/Twins-Special-Bo ... B007CSZ7SS

Like these? Very reasonable.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

User avatar
SubClaw
Top
Posts: 1765
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: Training Gloves

Post by SubClaw » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:40 am

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:I've been using the same pair of shitty, 30 dollar, Everlast heavy bag gloves for damn near 10 years on and off now. They're probably the cheapest Everlast gloves you can get that actually have a padded thumb. They're dead. they smell almost as bad as hockey gloves and the "leather" is starting to crack on the knuckles.

I need new gloves and I want "real" training gloves. Or at least ones that I could bring to an actual boxing gym and not be embarrassed about. I'm going to use these for hitting the heavy bag 99% of the time.

Don't want to pay a ton of money. Suggestions please. Would prefer velcro closures.
"If you are going to use gloves while training, make sure they match your purse".
Mark Rippetoe

User avatar
Herv100
Sgt. Major
Posts: 3696
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:12 am

Re: Training Gloves

Post by Herv100 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:44 pm

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
Herv100 wrote:Twins
https://www.amazon.com/Twins-Special-Bo ... B007CSZ7SS

Like these? Very reasonable.
Yes. 12-14 oz. 16 if you're gonna spar
Image

User avatar
Bobby
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5549
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: Training Gloves

Post by Bobby » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:32 pm

SubClaw wrote:
Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:I've been using the same pair of shitty, 30 dollar, Everlast heavy bag gloves for damn near 10 years on and off now. They're probably the cheapest Everlast gloves you can get that actually have a padded thumb. They're dead. they smell almost as bad as hockey gloves and the "leather" is starting to crack on the knuckles.

I need new gloves and I want "real" training gloves. Or at least ones that I could bring to an actual boxing gym and not be embarrassed about. I'm going to use these for hitting the heavy bag 99% of the time.

Don't want to pay a ton of money. Suggestions please. Would prefer velcro closures.
"If you are going to use gloves while training, make sure they match your purse".
Mark Rippetoe

You can hit the heavy bag with your purse,but I don`t see why it has to match the gloves.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

User avatar
Fuzzy Dunlop
Top
Posts: 2077
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:38 pm
Location: Hub

Re: Training Gloves

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:20 pm

Herv100 wrote:
Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
Herv100 wrote:Twins
https://www.amazon.com/Twins-Special-Bo ... B007CSZ7SS

Like these? Very reasonable.
Yes. 12-14 oz. 16 if you're gonna spar
Grabbed a pair of 14oz from Amazon for 70 bucks. Thanks for the suggestion..

The rest of you are fags. :finga:
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

User avatar
Bobby
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5549
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: Training Gloves

Post by Bobby » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:03 pm

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
Herv100 wrote:
Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
Herv100 wrote:Twins
https://www.amazon.com/Twins-Special-Bo ... B007CSZ7SS

Like these? Very reasonable.
Yes. 12-14 oz. 16 if you're gonna spar
Grabbed a pair of 14oz from Amazon for 70 bucks. Thanks for the suggestion..

The rest of you are fags. :finga:
So,did you get a purse as well (asking for subclaw)?
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8430
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:59 pm

Re: Training Gloves

Post by Shapecharge » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:57 pm

Why do you need to buy training gloves? Do what John Rambo did when he would fight to earn money for that monastery...I think that was Rambo III. Only one of the greatest films in recorded history that one of our very own IGx members starred in!! Anyway just tear up some rags in long strips and wrap your hands in them and then to make it more challenging, dip your hands in honey or chocolate then dip them in sprinkles and crushed peanuts and start wailing away on that heavy bag. Film that shit and post it on the youtubes so we can coach you on your technique. If you're sparring your opponents won't know what hit 'em when they get a mouthful of nuts...well unless you're sparring with Teri/Proto...he's had a lot of nutz in his mouth. (BOOM! I just dropped the mike errrbody!!)

User avatar
Bobby
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5549
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: Training Gloves

Post by Bobby » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:20 pm

I don`t know about that filming your bag workout and putting it on youtube thing.Rant filmed his bag hitting and that wasn`t too impressive was it? But then he didn`t have a purse did he?
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

User avatar
Fuzzy Dunlop
Top
Posts: 2077
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:38 pm
Location: Hub

Re: Training Gloves

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:40 pm

Bobby wrote:I don`t know about that filming your bag workout and putting it on youtube thing.Rant filmed his bag hitting and that wasn`t too impressive was it? But then he didn`t have a purse did he?
Maybe i am Rant reincarnate
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

User avatar
Bobby
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5549
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: Training Gloves

Post by Bobby » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:21 am

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
Bobby wrote:I don`t know about that filming your bag workout and putting it on youtube thing.Rant filmed his bag hitting and that wasn`t too impressive was it? But then he didn`t have a purse did he?
Maybe i am Rant reincarnate
Maybe.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

User avatar
Fuzzy Dunlop
Top
Posts: 2077
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:38 pm
Location: Hub

Re: Training Gloves

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:25 am

The gloves came a few days ago, they are very nice. 14oz provides a lot more padding than my previous shitty gloves.

They are small right now. I'm hoping/assuming the leather will stretch a little and the padding will compact. Having a tiny bit of trouble wrapping my fingers into a tight enough fist and they seem to hit up against the front of the glove fingers. I'm sure I just have to get used to them.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

User avatar
Fuzzy Dunlop
Top
Posts: 2077
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:38 pm
Location: Hub

Re: Training Gloves

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:05 am

These gloves are still feeling small, even with my fingers jammed into the bottom I still feel like i'm trying to bend the part of the glove that should be on the back of my hand around my knuckles, and it's even pulling the wrist area away from the back of my wrist.

I've probably used them 5 or 6 times. Like i said before, never had real gloves. Are they just breaking in or should I try to sell them while they're still "like new"?
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21117
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Training Gloves

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:31 pm

IDK, I have a relatively inexpensive pair of Title training gloves, 16oz. I've used them 30-40 times, don't think their bad at all, but this is really the only pair of boxing gloves I've had as an adult. I do heavy bag work on them at cardio box and dance class

User avatar
ledfistaco
Gunny
Posts: 644
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:27 pm
Location: brooklyn, ny

Re: Training Gloves

Post by ledfistaco » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:08 pm

And improperly closed fist is a recipe for damaged hands. Make sure you can make a fist as tight inisde the glove as you can outside.
If only hitting bags and not mits/people, something like this can work
http://www.titleboxing.com/title-old-sc ... oCJJ_w_wcB

User avatar
Fuzzy Dunlop
Top
Posts: 2077
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:38 pm
Location: Hub

Re: Training Gloves

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:13 am

So I've been hitting the bag about once a week with these and they're finally broken in... I no longer feel like I'm trying to bend the back-of-hand padding around my knuckles. Possibly just needed to work the leather and padding in a bit.

I think they are still on the small side because my fingers are really pushing on the bottom but they're at least comfortable now.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8430
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:59 pm

Re: Training Gloves

Post by Shapecharge » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:57 pm

Fizzie...thanks for the timely update. A bunch of us were very concerned about this and we were hoping the new gloves were going to work for you. This is a very serious topic right now and we're sending a lot of pm's on the Facebooks hoping you'd update us soon. Post some pics if you can so we can see that these are the right gloves for you. Thanks again and good punching on things!!

User avatar
nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 11586
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: Training Gloves

Post by nafod » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:13 pm

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:So I've been hitting the bag about once a week.
I shoot for 400 punches in 3 minutes in my workout.
Don’t believe everything you think.

User avatar
Fuzzy Dunlop
Top
Posts: 2077
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:38 pm
Location: Hub

Re: Training Gloves

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:53 am

No problem... I can up the frequency of updates so you all don't have to go wondering on the fb.

The gloves are still working out well.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

User avatar
Fuzzy Dunlop
Top
Posts: 2077
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:38 pm
Location: Hub

Re: Training Gloves

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:54 am

nafod wrote:
Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:So I've been hitting the bag about once a week.
I shoot for 400 punches in 3 minutes in my workout.
Damn. I just do the one time really hard. Switch off hands each week.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Luke
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:19 am

Re: Training Gloves

Post by Luke » Sun May 28, 2017 1:52 am

Who from here was in Rambo?

Post Reply