IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:49 am

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: GB vs GMB
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:57 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Gymnastics Bodies is quite thorough, but if you go to hell, [reddit], you find out that people who are non gymnasts and try to get past certain points get stuck forever. That being said.. I like his progressions, back offs, mobility, etc.

Gold Medal Body seems to be more gradient and just a smoother interface. Great website and lots of free stuff. Even their newsletters are decent.

I know that some are doing the progressions or just certain courses. [Shaf on Parallettes for example],

Has anyone bought any of the pay for play courses from Gold Medal Bodies?

Post subject: Re: GB vs GMB
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:01 am 
Sgt. Major

Shaf, how about some vlogs of parallette work?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:47 pm 
Staff Sergeant

I have the full R1. Look in the usual place.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:21 am 
Sergeant Commanding

GB more strict, more static holds, and long ones such as bent arm hangs with false grips 5 sets of 60 sec, etc.

GMB is better for me, training there more like game.
By word "better" i ment not end result, but process of training.
I started their rings course couple of weeks ago.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:02 pm 
Gunny

I bought R1 - enjoyed it and made good progress - only a couple things I had trouble doing near the end. Read like it was going to be super easy - but wasn't - it moved along at a pace I could manage but not exceed. Pretty good course. I'd like to try another here soon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:21 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

This is cheap for a few more days and looks very organized.
http://calisthenicsacademy.co/new-fundamentals-course/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:18 pm 
Lifetime IGer

I thought I addressed this earlier.

GMB = more playful, riffs off of Sonnon's stuff. More flow. Lets "strict gymnastics"
GB = very much the same thing you do as a kid when you become a gymnast, but..kids blow through some of that stuff, whereas adults struggle.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:56 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

I've done both and can do a full run-down when I get some time.

I'd meant to do a full review of GB through Foundations Level 2, and can do one through P1 of GMB along with Focused Flexibility (not a fan of either, to be honest, but it's more my personality type than anything.)

I'll stick them in the reviews section and bump here when it's done.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:49 pm 
Lifetime IGer

I have started GB Foundations 1 - Beginner and I like it pretty good. The reason I went with GB is because a FB friend hooked me up with his username/password and the fact that I have been wanting to do it in hopes of rehabbing my shoulders and elbows. I have read that GB is good for strengthening the joints and tendons and that it has very good mobility exercises.

I have messed around with GMB through their free stuff that they post on their site and on youtube. Honestly, their stuff seems more fun and something that I would like to do.
Quote:
I thought I addressed this earlier.

GMB = more playful, riffs off of Sonnon's stuff. More flow. Lets "strict gymnastics"
GB = very much the same thing you do as a kid when you become a gymnast, but..kids blow through some of that stuff, whereas adults struggle.

https://vimeo.com/72300807

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:50 pm 
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Hey, Baff, When you get time to do that review, speculate a little on whether it might be something good for a 72 year old guy. I'm a little more interested in flexibility, balance and control than straight out strength. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:00 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Hey, Baff, When you get time to do that review, speculate a little on whether it might be something good for a 72 year old guy. I'm a little more interested in flexibility and control than straight out strength. Thanks in advance.
i've been tempted by this course--elements. it appears to be what you're talking about.

perhaps baff or someone can address its merits.

https://gmb.io/e/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:07 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Hey, Baff, When you get time to do that review, speculate a little on whether it might be something good for a 72 year old guy. I'm a little more interested in flexibility and control than straight out strength. Thanks in advance.
i've been tempted by this course--elements. it appears to be what you're talking about.

perhaps baff or someone can address its merits.

https://gmb.io/e/
Yes, that's the one I was looking at.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:31 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Elements is what you're after, seaahill. That's one I think could benefit anyone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:46 am 

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:23 am 
Sergeant Commanding

No problem. Here's the review for GB Foundation. A bit scattered because I'm tired as hell, but also dealing with insomnia.

Linky http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=228669

If there's interest, I'll summarize Handstand 1, and experiences of some of GMB's programming.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:30 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Nice review, baffled. I was wondering about the equipment for future variations but I think I should be able to work around it. I, as well, was worried about the lack of pulling, and was wondering if I should start adding in some ring rows and pull-ups and chin-ups.

My only other worry was the loss of muscle mass, which I have already lost some due to all of the riding I do. At this point though, I really just want to feel good and get my shoulders and elbows completely healthy and strengthen my joints and tendons. Mobility and flexibility is always key for me as well.

I've been thinking of adding a session or two of EDT or 50/20 type workouts of DL and/or squats later in the fall if I feel it won't negatively effect my GB training or set me back on the elbow and shoulder rehab.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:06 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Intellectually I prefer Sommer's rigorous approach on everything. The GMB guys let more things float and are more related to Sonnon's stuff than some might like.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:34 pm 
Gunny

Quote:
No problem. Here's the review for GB Foundation. A bit scattered because I'm tired as hell, but also dealing with insomnia.

Linky http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=228669

If there's interest, I'll summarize Handstand 1, and experiences of some of GMB's programming.
Please review the GMB courses you have tried. I've done R1 and am thinking about a more general mobility - flexibility - better movement type course for the future - probably in the fall.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:31 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Nice review, baffled. I was wondering about the equipment for future variations but I think I should be able to work around it. I, as well, was worried about the lack of pulling, and was wondering if I should start adding in some ring rows and pull-ups and chin-ups.

My only other worry was the loss of muscle mass, which I have already lost some due to all of the riding I do. At this point though, I really just want to feel good and get my shoulders and elbows completely healthy and strengthen my joints and tendons. Mobility and flexibility is always key for me as well.

I've been thinking of adding a session or two of EDT or 50/20 type workouts of DL and/or squats later in the fall if I feel it won't negatively effect my GB training or set me back on the elbow and shoulder rehab.
In all honesty, I'm betting any muscle loss will be temporary. With GS work I've found that as time goes on the muscle comes back, albeit in a different way. It's probably similar.

http://www.myphysicalculture.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:08 am 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
Quote:

In all honesty, I'm betting any muscle loss will be temporary. With GS work I've found that as time goes on the muscle comes back, albeit in a different way. It's probably similar.
I'll give it some time and see.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:40 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wouldn`t adding a few sets of high rep push ups/dips and pullups a couple of times a week solve that for you? H

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:38 am 
Lifetime IGer

When you have 160# of body weight, losing a # of muscle is a big deal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:01 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1) Re-wrote the last "con" on pulling. Don't think it's an issue the vast majority of the time, but it's easily handled.

2) Tough love time:

Either stay the course or get the fuck off and do something else. Get this idea of "maybe I'll do this in the fall" shit out of your head. That's how you program hop and get nowhere but where you are now, if you're lucky. I've been a program hopper, but a while back I focused, and more than anything, the constant dings are mostly going now. I also look sexy as a motherfucker.

You'll have plenty of time for other stuff you enjoy, or some rehab/prehab of a known issue. Use extra time for stuff you enjoy, and not for loading up 50 reps of a full body lift that will take more than it gives with everything else you have going on.

When I noted changing things or keeping things fresh, I should have noted that it meant more like playing with a different exercise during deloads, doing some light band work, or some sub max work for just a set or two after the programmed workout is done.

You're not going to shrink. I'm about the same size as you, but I'm 170lbs, have all my abs, veins in my arms etc. I'm not shredded and huge like an Olympic gymnast, but I'm not in danger of being carried away by a stiff wind. Guys like us aren't going to shrink from this work unless you're just too active everywhere else in life. If that's the case, nothing is going to keep you from wasting away.

Lastly, get your shit fixed. This program has been great for me and a lot of other people, but if you go in with shoulders and elbows that hurt right now, the straight arm work probably isn't going to fix them and will likely make things worse.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:09 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1) Re-wrote the last "con" on pulling. Don't think it's an issue the vast majority of the time, but it's easily handled.

2) Tough love time:

Either stay the course or get the fuck off and do something else. Get this idea of "maybe I'll do this in the fall" shit out of your head. That's how you program hop and get nowhere but where you are now, if you're lucky. I've been a program hopper, but a while back I focused, and more than anything, the constant dings are mostly going now. I also look sexy as a motherfucker.

You'll have plenty of time for other stuff you enjoy, or some rehab/prehab of a known issue. Use extra time for stuff you enjoy, and not for loading up 50 reps of a full body lift that will take more than it gives with everything else you have going on.

When I noted changing things or keeping things fresh, I should have noted that it meant more like playing with a different exercise during deloads, doing some light band work, or some sub max work for just a set or two after the programmed workout is done.

You're not going to shrink. I'm about the same size as you, but I'm 170lbs, have all my abs, veins in my arms etc. I'm not shredded and huge like an Olympic gymnast, but I'm not in danger of being carried away by a stiff wind. Guys like us aren't going to shrink from this work unless you're just too active everywhere else in life. If that's the case, nothing is going to keep you from wasting away.

Lastly, get your shit fixed. This program has been great for me and a lot of other people, but if you go in with shoulders and elbows that hurt right now, the straight arm work probably isn't going to fix them and will likely make things worse.
I agree with all of this, and, even knew when I mentioned adding in other stuff, that I probably wouldn't due to time and the reasons you mentioned. It's been a while, well, since GS training, that I have stuck with a program for an extended period of time and I really want to do that with this program. I really want to see the benefits and to finally get my shit completely fixed. Plus I'm still ripped, vascular, and sexy so I shouldn't complain too much. ;)

Oh yeah, thanks for the tough love.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:52 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Plus I'm still ripped, vascular, and sexy so I shouldn't complain too much. ;)
I became sexy when i grow beard. Without any training!