"Weighted Walking" - Ruck/Weight Vest Question

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Cayenne

"Weighted Walking" - Ruck/Weight Vest Question

Post by Cayenne » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:14 pm

I have been enjoying regular weight vest walking for some time. I have a 50lb model from WeightVest.com. I would like to give using a back pack a try but I don't want to spend as much as Go Ruck asks for products. (BTW, in searching webz, I came across the "Load Trainer" which seems like a great idea, but I don't think I would want to deal with the looks I'd be getting where I plan to use it:
http://store.sorinex.com/product-p/SOR-LT.htm )

Any economical ideas for a back pack that could handle my putting the 50lb Weight Vest inside that would be relatively comfortable and without getting destroyed?

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: "Weighted Walking" - Ruck/Weight Vest Question

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:55 pm

There are a lot of cheap 'tactical' packs on Amazon that people are using for rucking. I like my 5.11 Rush 24 but it's got no hip belt and I've only had it loaded to 30#. It's pricey but not GoRuck pricey

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:55 pm

There are several 5.11 knock offs on Amazon though, some of them are very well reviewed

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:30 pm

If you like the look of the Sorinex,why not try to find an old ALICE pack (same frame etc)? I have used both the load trainer and a traditional ALICE with loads greater than 80 lbs so 50# shouldn`t be a problem.I think you should be able to find cheap pack in the US.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:36 am

Thank you Bobby & Shaf.

This seems to be the best deal in this category: http://www.lapolicegear.com/diplomat-3- ... pack1.html

I am wondering if it is built to hold up to heavier weight (ad copy does say, "Made to carry heavy loads" but I still wonder what "heavy" means to them...?)

At this price, think I'll roll the dice. Worst case, can't use for intended purpose but a seemingly great bag for other uses.

tsubor
Recruit

Post by tsubor » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:06 pm

Cayenne wrote:Thank you Bobby & Shaf.

This seems to be the best deal in this category: http://www.lapolicegear.com/diplomat-3- ... pack1.html

I am wondering if it is built to hold up to heavier weight (ad copy does say, "Made to carry heavy loads" but I still wonder what "heavy" means to them...?)

At this price, think I'll roll the dice. Worst case, can't use for intended purpose but a seemingly great bag for other uses.
I have a backpack of probably the same model and make that you have posted in that link, and I have loaded mine with about 60lbs of gravel, probably could take more. Loading it up with pavement bricks is obviously better in terms of compactness of the load. A MOLLE backpack frame would be a nice addition, but you can sprint without it. The belt on the backpack is a plus. Of course the quality may not be consistent, and the stitching on the straps tend to snap and pop if you load the pack on your back by holding on to one strap at a time. I hoist it by the top handle, press it overhead, run the free arm through the strap, repeat with the opposite hand. Otherwise the stitching can't take the load. Also, an awl and over under stitching is your friend when those stitches start popping. I advise strengthening major joints with a few lines of additional stitchingof your own. If yours has a tacticool ass ACU print, spray painting it helps. TLDR, those cheap backpacks work just fine.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:21 pm

tsubor wrote:
Cayenne wrote:Thank you Bobby & Shaf.

I have a backpack of probably the same model and make that you have posted in that link, and I have loaded mine with about 60lbs of gravel, probably could take more. Loading it up with pavement bricks is obviously better in terms of compactness of the load. A MOLLE backpack frame would be a nice addition, but you can sprint without it. The belt on the backpack is a plus. Of course the quality may not be consistent, and the stitching on the straps tend to snap and pop if you load the pack on your back by holding on to one strap at a time. I hoist it by the top handle, press it overhead, run the free arm through the strap, repeat with the opposite hand. Otherwise the stitching can't take the load. Also, an awl and over under stitching is your friend when those stitches start popping. I advise strengthening major joints with a few lines of additional stitchingof your own. If yours has a tacticool ass ACU print, spray painting it helps. TLDR, those cheap backpacks work just fine.
Thank you TSubor. Good to know in advance that this cheap backpack should work just fine.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:01 pm

Cayenne, that looks cheap enough that I'm tempted to follow suit. As I don't have much experience with weighted rucks (other than hiking/backpacking) or vests, may I ask why you want to try a ruck if you already have a vest?

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:37 am

Thud wrote:Cayenne, that looks cheap enough that I'm tempted to follow suit. As I don't have much experience with weighted rucks (other than hiking/backpacking) or vests, may I ask why you want to try a ruck if you already have a vest?
Probably because I'm a sucker for testimonials :happiness:

As I wrote in the initial post, I've been using a weighted vest for some time and I enjoy it. Looking around online for info about walking with weight vests, etc., I came across the various "magic manna" posts at Go Ruck about rucking. I've never rucked/worn a heavy back pack. I'm assuming the two activities must be "similar but different". To answer your question, why try a ruck if I already have a vest?, it's because, given a low-entry price I just want to see how different, if at all, it feels.

If you do end up picking up the backpack I linked to and rucking with it, please do post about your experience. Enjoy.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:45 am

Cayenne wrote:
Thud wrote:Cayenne, that looks cheap enough that I'm tempted to follow suit. As I don't have much experience with weighted rucks (other than hiking/backpacking) or vests, may I ask why you want to try a ruck if you already have a vest?
Probably because I'm a sucker for testimonials :happiness:

As I wrote in the initial post, I've been using a weighted vest for some time and I enjoy it. Looking around online for info about walking with weight vests, etc., I came across the various "magic manna" posts at Go Ruck about rucking. I've never rucked/worn a heavy back pack. I'm assuming the two activities must be "similar but different". To answer your question, why try a ruck if I already have a vest?, it's because, given a low-entry price I just want to see how different, if at all, it feels.

If you do end up picking up the backpack I linked to and rucking with it, please do post about your experience. Enjoy.
Sure, thanks.

I figured it was along those lines: Similar but different, and worth a try.

I've had it in mind to get a vest for a while now, but the cost of entry is a lot steeper than the rucksack. I might as well start at the low end of things.

Could be good winter cardio for me.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:14 am

Using a ruck (when the weight gets heavy enough) doesn`t "compress" the chest area as much.I find it easier to use a ruck with loads above 80lbs and when the distances start to get longer.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:59 pm

Best answer I've seen Bobby

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:36 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Best answer I've seen Bobby
I can be both helpful and serious hehehe.I`ve done a lot of both weighted vest walks and ruck marching so I might as well share what I have found out the "hard" way.
"being a pussy".

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:49 am

Cayenne wrote: If you do end up picking up the backpack I linked to and rucking with it, please do post about your experience. Enjoy.
I've just started using it. Been on two 3 mi break-in walks with it so far. Basically trying it "as is" with a 35# plate dropped in the main compartment. It's really fine just like that.

I think I'll put a towel or foam on the bottom to raise the center of gravity, then add in another 15-20#. With more weight I might want to bolster the padding on the shoulder straps, or just toughen up.

I have little doubt the pack can handle 50-60 lbs. Maybe more, we'll see.

$30 very well spent.

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:26 am

Army Navy store.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:22 am

Bobby wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Best answer I've seen Bobby
I can be both helpful and serious hehehe.I`ve done a lot of both weighted vest walks and ruck marching so I might as well share what I have found out the "hard" way.

Damn...I hadn't made that connect at all but you're right. The vest seems to compress your breathing, recovery is even harder at heavy loads than just running.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:45 am

Same really if you do pullups,push ups etc.Tougher with a vest than diping belt or a plate on the back.
You feel it when Walking/standing around between sets.
"being a pussy".