Rogue vs. Perform Better KBs

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Rogue vs. Perform Better KBs

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:29 pm

I'm going to pick up a couple of KBs for the home gym. They'll get used mostly for swings, presses, goblet squats, maybe even the occasional getup. No snatches etc. for this comrade.

Price-wise, Rogue and Perform Better seem to be the best deals atm -- even with shipping, they price out a little lower per pound than my local bricks and mortar stores. Does anyone have a strong opinion one way or the other on their quality?

TIA

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Re: Rogue vs. Perform Better KBs

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:49 pm

Are you looking at comp style bells or the cast iron ones? If it's the latter, I'd go Rogue. The PB bells I've seen in gyms have a slippery paint that gets slippy-er with any sweat.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:38 pm

Yeah, cast iron DD style, thanks. I can't justify the cost for comp style and because of a disability I find them easier to use when the horns flare out

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:26 pm

Check out the ones made by cap barbell.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:13 pm

I have heard good things about Kettlebells USA metrix bells - they are basically as close to DD bells as you can get in shape, handle thickness and finish. Plus often have big discounts and free shipping in the US I think. I have two DD bells and a little 16kg rogue - and the rogue's overly rough finish pisses me off every time I use it. It's like sandpaper.

I think these are the ones you want https://www.kettlebellsusa.com/kettlebe ... ipping?p=2

But check out their precision and elite ones too

Lych
Sarge

Post by Lych » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:58 am

If you want rogue, I have a 32 and a 40 kg I'll sell you or trade you for something. Not recommended for snatches, cleans, or anything where the handle rotates in your grip - whatever else that might be. They are far too rough IMO. For swings, presses, etc, they're fine. PM me if interested.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:07 pm

Kettlebells kings?

Lych
Sarge

Post by Lych » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:01 am

Speaking of this; I was looking at Kettlebell USA's metrixx elite... It appears to me that there is a greater distance between the handle and the ball than there is on their regular metrixx ones (as well as more distance than on other brands I have owned / seen).

Can anyone confirm this as true? Equal in irritation factor to a rough finish is when the distance between the handle and the ball is too short, and you can't keep a straight wrist in the rack position without the ball hitting your wrist bone. I like a longer distance so it rests a couple inches lower than the wristbone, where it belongs...

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:18 am

Yes I believe that is the main difference between them? I'm not sure which ones are closest to the Dragondoors in terms of proportion- I've always found them to be just right

Lych
Sarge

Post by Lych » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:54 am

I spent some time reading the rest of kbusa's site, and yeah that's the difference. I'm going to pick one up I think.