Those with martial knowledges

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Lych
Sarge

Those with martial knowledges

Post by Lych » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:24 am

So my hometown used to contain only McDojangs, i.e., a couple taekwondo schools located in strip malls where 1st graders could test for their black belt after putting in a hard 12 months of study. In the years I have been gone, things have changed, and now there is;

1. Ryobu-Kai Karate
2. Green dragon Kung Fu
3. Aikido
4. Two different ju Jitsu gyms
5. A few more McDojangs; TKD
6. One questionable Krav Maga guy.

Now googling this is a lot like the results of googling what is better between incline and flat benching. So I ask you; for the purpose of regaining some athleticism, i.e., moving well, flexibility, being able to do things other than just lifting movements etc, while also learning some legitimate and applicable self defense (in that order of priority), do any of these stand out more than another? Let's assume all the instructors are equally qualified.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Those with martial knowledges

Post by Dunn » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:47 am

Any idea what style of kungfu?

That aside, I would visit them and see. Personally I like good kungfu and bjj. Hell, even if it's Japanese JJ, if it's good it will be useful. I'm iffy about any and all KM guys. Just my thoughts.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:40 am

Yeah visit the schools, take the introductory class, figure out the vibe(if they are a hardcore fight gym or the techniques are "too deadly" run the fuck away), and see if there are other guys there in your age group.

It also depends on what you're most interested in. I don't want to get hit in the head and I don't mind rolling around on the ground with other dudes so BJJ is what I do.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:30 pm

Bullshido.net is a good resource for you. I'd check out a few schools and then search that website and see if there's any info on there for those schools or instructors.

As for styles, a long time ago I learned Wing Chun Kung Fu from a legit instructor in the Yuen Kay San lineage. He learned directly from Kok Man Ping, and it was verifiable. That's the key with Kung Fu- verifying the lineage is legit.

And I guess the same goes for BJJ, too. I'm a BJJ guy now myself. And I've been very fortunate to be able to learn from good people, wherever I crash-land when I move.

I'd pay particular attention to the BJJ schools. Go take a few classes, roll with the guys, and see how the vibe is. And verify the teachers.
WildGorillaMan wrote:$4000 bicycle. $300 shoes. $400 spandex.

35% bodyfat.

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:31 pm

By jiu-jitsu, do you mean Japanese or BJJ? If the jiu-jitsu is of the bjj variety, the lineage of the instructors (and any significant accomplishments) should by readily available. There are likely a few people here who could tell you if they were legit. Lack of tournament wins ,etc. does not necessarily make a bad teacher, btw. But it usually a good sign if your teacher comes from a lineage that turns out legit black belts.

You could do two things (I always recommend grappling) but:

1) Take a free class at each one and see which you enjoy the most and has the best people, if you are looking to do something for enjoyment.

2) If you are looking for the most "legit" - go to the better of the two bjj schools (or the one you like better, has cooler people) and maybe squeeze in some karate (if they spar).

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:56 pm

I'd go with the BJJ. Too many BS schools. Hardcore Gung Fu is around and not common. My former client just got back from the Shaolin in China. Guess what? No mystical, too deadly for UFC crap. Hundreds of hours of running, calisthenics, sparring, flipping tires, 300 kicks per day, pad work, clinch work, mountain hiking. No mysteries. Just do the work.

Krav Maga is generic like the word, "cancer". It's the TKD of the current time.
The Jap karate place seems interesting. As long as they move to Bogu/Armor sparring and allow takedowns.. it's solid.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:35 pm

Was wanting to find something good in my small city and nothing looked "real" to me so I did nothing.

Then, a few weeks ago, I met a guy in line at Starbucks who was wearing a Krav Maga t-shirt. He said his daughter was testing up the street so I went by to check it out. Saw that it was in a strip mall and my prejudices jumped to the surface. Went inside and observed that they were nice people who weren't trying to bury me financially ($75 for 10 lessons) and they didn't brag about their awesomeness. The dojo is part of the Krav Maga Alliance. They believe it's a sign of quality.

The main Krav instructor is a retired female cop. I'm learning some things that I wouldn't know otherwise and it's a different kind of workout from what I normally do. It's challenging me in good ways and they focus on practical self defense stuff. On a scale of 1 to 10 I don't know if it's a 4 or an 8, but whatever it is I'm enjoying myself and benefitting from my time there.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:12 pm

Ryobu-kai appears to be heavily Shotokan influenced, with a heavier focus on weapons. That could be excellent with the right instructor. Otherwise, it would be a waste of time. Unfortunately, schools that are a waste of time far outnumber those with good instructors.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Lych
Sarge

Post by Lych » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:42 am

Thank you for the knowledge.

Here are some sources on the places I listed above:

1. http://www.lrbudokan.com/home.html
2. http://www.greendragonkungfu.ca/
3. https://www.facebook.com/Ice-Dragon-Bra ... 805927339/
4. https://www.facebook.com/Bismarck-Brazi ... 600754830/
5. http://aikidobismarck.com/
6. http://www.ndkravmaga.com/

I think tomorrow I will look at some times when I can go down and check things out. I'm almost two hours away from Bismarck, but if something is awesome, once a week attending is well within reason. Maybe even twice.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:53 am

I'd echo what everyone else wrote, except to emphasize that the school should allow/encourage full-contact sparring and competition. That doesn't mean -- that shouldn't mean -- that every class has to end in Bloodsport, but as the others have said, if you get a line about how their style is too deadly or only for the streetz, fuck that noise.

Wrestling, BJJ, judo, boxing, and muay thai, to name a few, all have their differences, but they all have two things in common: (1) they make you get out on the mat and apply what you learned to another person who's trying to do the same thing to you; and (2) they work.

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:17 pm

Just out of curiosity I looked at the two bjj places. One appears to be a Renzo affiliate. The other appears to test or get their rank from one of the Machado bros. They both compete Ice dragon is starting up kickboxing classes. I would try both, but I don't think you could go wrong with either. See which group you click better with, which is closer, has a more compatible schedule, etc.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:00 pm

Bud Charniga's grape ape wrote:I'd echo what everyone else wrote, except to emphasize that the school should allow/encourage full-contact sparring and competition.
Competition is great. There isn't really such a thing as training "full contact sparring" unless you remove head punching, which degrades the self-defense aspect. Even muay thai guys aren't blasting each other in the head in training.

I recall being intimidated sparring the first time with a guy who come from a place where they trained full contact. Turns out it was "full contact but no punching in the face." He had poor head defense.

Edit: to clarify, "sparring" denotes training.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:44 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote: There isn't really such a thing as training "full contact sparring" unless you remove head punching, which degrades the self-defense aspect. Even muay thai guys aren't blasting each other in the head in training.
Not all the time, but if you don't get hit in the face once in a while in training, you're not going to know what to do when you get hit in the face in competition. OR ON THE MEAN STREETZ BROTHER. I've certainly seen dudes get their bells rung in training.

Most of my experience was in judo and BJJ; a little freestyle wrestling. Most of the time when we'd roll we'd go about 70-80%, trying to work through the positions and play around. Once in a while, maybe once or twice a month, we'd go harder, maybe 90%. I found that extremely valuable; so did, I think, most of the folks I trained with.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:45 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Bud Charniga's grape ape wrote:
I recall being intimidated sparring the first time with a guy who come from a place where they trained full contact. Turns out it was "full contact but no punching in the face." He had poor head defense.

Edit: to clarify, "sparring" denotes training.
Very true that no head punching degrades head defense. We had same rule, and everyone got hit in the head at least once in a sparring session in our shotokan school. That usually was the excuse to return the favor. Sensei didn't interfere unless it devolved into a brawl.

stanley_white
Gunny

Post by stanley_white » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:53 pm

For self-defense purposes I always recommend boxing to men and grappling to women.

Why?

While many fights among men may end up on the ground they usually start with flying fists. Also, boxing actually works against multiple opponents whereas while you grapple with one the other will kick you in the head until death.

Grappling for women to be prepared for the date-rape scenario.

Both populations also need lots of education in pre-incident indicators and situational deescalation.

-Stan

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:30 pm

Jeezus that Krav page's marketing is enough to make my eyes bleed.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:35 pm

Holland Oates wrote:Jeezus that Krav page's marketing is enough to make my eyes bleed.
But they have a picture of the troops. Why do you hate the troops, Kaep?

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:57 pm

Lych wrote:Thank you for the knowledge.

Here are some sources on the places I listed above:

1. http://www.lrbudokan.com/home.html
I might be wrong, but I would be suspicious of someone with a godan in karate, a yondan in one style of jujitsu, a sandan in another, and a shodan in a couple of other arts.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Lych
Sarge

Post by Lych » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:14 pm

I'm going to go down on the 14th and 15th for work, and will check out Ice Dragon. Not that I won't even look at the others, but that one holds the most appeal. I have very little and limited MA experience, so thanks for the answers.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:02 am

Since self defense is not your first priority, you could probably do any of the above. Check out as many studios as you can to see what the teacher & students are like. Do you want to spend time with these folks? If you're going to spar or roll, watch some sessions to see if your partners will be good ones.
Also, do you want to compete? Hit & get hit? Roll on the mat? Or do more of a Tai Chi/Chigung movement art? Different schools will have different focuses.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:38 pm

stanley_white wrote:For self-defense purposes I always recommend boxing to men and grappling to women.

Why?

While many fights among men may end up on the ground they usually start with flying fists. Also, boxing actually works against multiple opponents whereas while you grapple with one the other will kick you in the head until death.

Grappling for women to be prepared for the date-rape scenario.

Both populations also need lots of education in pre-incident indicators and situational deescalation.

-Stan
Stan this makes total sense for regular, gender specific folks but what would you recommend for someone like Teri/Frodo? I think he's(?) supposed to be a man, no doubt a highly feminized one, but identifies as a woman. So should he take up boxing or bjj? Maybe he could take one of those self defense courses designed specifically for women where they do the eye poke, the kick in the nads or the stomp on the foot with their high heels while screaming "STAY AWAY!!" and blowing furiously on a whistle? A specialized striking course using a purse, and slapping could also help.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:33 pm

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:03 pm

Hilarious!! That episode was one of the best ever.

Lych
Sarge

Post by Lych » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:07 am

The Ice Dragon BJJ is under George Andersch, who also runs a school in Fargo, ND.

http://www.graciemag.com/2012/11/submis ... the-lapel/

I'm going down this coming Thursday for class, and they said I could come in 3 or 4 times to see if it's something I think I'd like to continue before committing and paying. $55 per month.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:56 am

Careful with using Bullshido for your guide.

Use your eyes, ears and brain.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy