Elbow trouble...

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Elbow trouble...

Post by Shapecharge » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:11 pm

I've managed to develop a bit of the golfer's elbow syndrome i.e. pain on the inside of the elbow most likely from rowing and pullups. I've been doing a few things to rehab it along with backing off on the rowing but I was wondering what some of you've done to take care of this if you've had similar issues. All thoughtful and smarmy responses welcome!

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Re: Elbow trouble...

Post by DikTracy6000 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:00 pm

Nobody likes to hear rest & ice. You can probably Power thru it, being a Marine and all.
(edited for accuracy)
Last edited by DikTracy6000 on Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:38 pm

Good lord DT, you don't realize the shitstorm you're about to create...I was a jarhead not a RLTW.

You're right though on the rest/ice combo.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:59 pm

I believe Nightman told me to roll out my forearm with a lacrosse ball and to work on the lat as well.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:21 pm

"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:38 pm

Ah,that shit comes and goes.Rest and if it isn`t both elbows switch to the other hand while"exercising".
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:14 pm

Rehabbing elbows is basically: throw shit against the wall and see what sticks

Chris McClinch
Sarge

Post by Chris McClinch » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:16 pm

Herv100 wrote:Rehabbing elbows is basically: throw shit against the wall and see what sticks
Including some degree of "fuck it; if it's not getting worse, work on your pain tolerance."

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:20 pm

Peptides helped a client with his elbow. You are on your own there unless some of the guys here can guide you.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:01 pm

Have a good massage therapist check your forearms. An old friend and client had a youth through D1 football life filled with fending off tacklers with his forearms. Had a huge amount of calcified soft tissue in there which caused hell with his elbows. Worked it out, elbows now 4.0.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:06 pm

Chris McClinch wrote:
Herv100 wrote:Rehabbing elbows is basically: throw shit against the wall and see what sticks
Including some degree of "fuck it; if it's not getting worse, work on your pain tolerance."
Yep

It was barbell work that fucked mine up. Hell high rep kettlebell work doesn't bother it but getting caught in submissions or getting it smashed by a knee or kicked with an ankle or shin sure as fuck make it worse.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:40 pm

Rest, then after things cooled down, changing to palms-facing ring pullups helped my elbows.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:46 pm

I had backed off the rowing and pullups for a couple of weeks along with doing some rehab stuff I found on the internets e.g. using that therabar Blade posted earlier, and things where pretty good. Thought I'd test things with some tentative neutral grip pullups...fail.

Chris McClinch
Sarge

Post by Chris McClinch » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:51 pm

Shapecharge wrote:I had backed off the rowing and pullups for a couple of weeks along with doing some rehab stuff I found on the internets e.g. using that therabar Blade posted earlier, and things where pretty good. Thought I'd test things with some tentative neutral grip pullups...fail.
I'm in kind of the same camp right now. I can press and row with tolerable discomfort (and the discomfort diminishes as the elbow warms up), but pull-ups are in the "exercises I used to do" category, at least for now. Strangely, deads, stiffies, and shrugs make the elbow feel better.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:23 pm

Depends how far into the problems you are. If just started getting pains, rest will fix it. Several weeks in and you tried to train through it / around it and it's still there, you're fucked.

Took me about 9 months to get over it. Only now a full year on I tried a few chins the other day and was fine.

When I actually realised I had proper elbow pain, I tried resting it completely but it was too late.

I tried doing dumbbell eccentrics but I was too far gone for that to work.

Things that worked for me:

First time ever actually lost all hope and went to a physiotherapist

He did massage on forearm and shoulder. Dry needling, and gave me stupidly light isometric exercises to do - using my other hand to apply light pressure to the injured hand in various degrees of wrist flexion.

Then moved onto very light dumbbell eccentrics starting at 1kg

More physio and dry needling

Stopped all lifting and took up running.

Used a tennis elbow band. Mostly when holding my kids and rocking my baby girl to sleep during the night.

Gave up on the physio as it got expensive and didn't seem that effective. Stuck with the exercises and moves onto slightly heavier dumbbells ...2kg and eventually 3kg. Built up to 2-3 sets of 20, morning and night (kept the dumbbells in the bathroom next to the toilet)

Biggest win was a cheapo version of the stick massage roller. Rolling the inside of the wrist/forearm (not the tender elbow area though). Found so much tension in there and nothing else came close in terms of releasing it. After a good rolling I would be pain free for the next couple of hours.

Started doing some light KB lifting that didn't bother it. Presses and light swings and snatches were fine. Found the worse thing was double kettlebell front squats - brought back more elbow pain than anything else apart from chins.

Eventually the pain started fading and I stopped doing all the exercises. But I could tell if I even attempted one chin-up or anything like that I would be in agony.

So for a long time have avoided anything that might hurt it. Took up rowing in February and have had no problems with it. Started doing push-ups daily around then too and although it made my elbow a little tender during, I think it actually helped the healing. In the same way the dumbbell exercises did earlier on.

As I said now a year on I can do a few chins again no problems but wouldn't try too many. 3 x 1,2,3 is my limit at the moment.

Done an absolute fucktonne of rowing in the last 6 months which may have helped.

Short version: get some very light dumbbells and a massage roller.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:01 pm

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:57 pm

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:10 pm

Ryan thanks for posting that...I forgot all about that post. And it brings up something that makes a lot of sense i.e. instability in the humerus. I never had a single bit of elbow trouble before even with 8+ years of bjj back in the old school days. So last July I had shoulder surgery to reattach the long head of the biceps tendon as well as a rotator cuff rebuild. Now 14 months later my shoulder/biceps feels perfect but I've now got this elbow issue. I'm not doing any more volume than I did before. I'm going to get this book.

Thanks for the other posts gentlemen...I've actually already been doing some of the things posted so it's nice to see some validation of my actions.

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:42 am

Shapecharge wrote:Ryan thanks for posting that...I forgot all about that post. And it brings up something that makes a lot of sense i.e. instability in the humerus. I never had a single bit of elbow trouble before even with 8+ years of bjj back in the old school days. So last July I had shoulder surgery to reattach the long head of the biceps tendon as well as a rotator cuff rebuild. Now 14 months later my shoulder/biceps feels perfect but I've now got this elbow issue. I'm not doing any more volume than I did before. I'm going to get this book.

Thanks for the other posts gentlemen...I've actually already been doing some of the things posted so it's nice to see some validation of my actions.
I had my bicep reattached at the elbow after ripping it off the bone. The last thing to come back was my wrist rotation range of motion (supination/pronation) so don't overlook the rotators of the forearm as a contributing factor (discussed in the book).

Let us know how it goes.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:05 pm

Well I don't want to jinx myself but after three of weeks of some dedicated work I have seen noticeable improvement. I took it easy and used pain/discomfort as my guide but I managed some easy multiple set pullups, 3 reps, 30 total, using very strict form on Saturday. No issues, no real pain. I could feel it but it wasn't painful. I had been doing some things before I made this thread and then refined what I was doing. I think earlier I was doing too much shit. So about 4 times a day for 20-25 reps I use the blue Therabar bending it into an "n" and then 25 reps bending it into a "u". Lastly 25 eccentric reps only i.e. outward wrist flexion with a short bar with three pounds on it like in the video that Micky posted. No bullshit, it's working. I couldn't have done those pullups beforehand. Haven't rowed because I didn't want to push it.