Intermittent Boozing

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Intermittent Boozing

Post by johno » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:56 pm

So my wife & I had worked our way up to the "heavy drinker" category, on a nightly/semi-nightly basis. "Cutting back" didn't work; it was either no alcohol or 4+ drinks, usually wine.

So we have shifted to intermittent boozing: we have a ~30 hour window, Friday evening to Saturday night, where we drink. Otherwise, nothing. This has been remarkably workable. No noteworthy physical effects, but I have noticed how much I associate drinking with relaxing and/or celebration.

We also have a booze jar, where every day I deposit the approximate $ we would have spent on wine that non-drinking day. It's a good visual.

I'm thinking of writing a book. Maybe Shaf can be my co-author.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: Intermittent Boozing

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:18 pm

Giving up Drankin ...as opposed to having a drink, was one of the best decisions of my life. Alcohol is a great food but a terrible drug. The style of drinking you describe is pretty much how they seem to get down in Iceland. Sober as a church mouse until Thursday Night black out until Sunday AM.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:41 pm

So far we drink less during our Booze Window. Less acclimated, hence lighter-weight drinkers.
My caution to myself: Be very careful about driving...you are now a Lightweight.

W.B. Yeats

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:08 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Alcohol is a great food but a terrible drug.
So very very true. A great friend until it becomes a vicious enemy.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:49 am

Alcohol is not a good drug. Even the idea of light/moderate drinking being good for the heart has been debunked by several authors. Ironically, it is heavy drinking that is good for the heart - for a while - until your liver shrinks and the heart fails. It is the dose that makes the poison, without exception, so the only relevant advice can be "drink less". How you manage to do it is a million dollar question, but it may mean giving up drinking altogether. If it's of any consolation, terminal liver disease is REALLY horrendous: vomiting blood, swelling all over, losing your mind etc.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:45 am

I don't drink whiskey at all anymore and I barely drink beer. 2 beers or 6 and I'm just as drunk. The alcohol cuts into my cardio too much and makes training too hard so it's an easy choice.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:18 pm

It's less and less frequent for me as well. I do like a good IPA and bourbon, but I don't like more than 3 of them, you know?

The aftermath of a night of drinking is often the entire next day wasted.

Old Mother
Staff Sergeant

Post by Old Mother » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:29 pm

been sober for over 5 years. don't miss it a bit.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:45 pm

I have gotten to where I only drink beer while I'm working outside at the house or before and after a ride. And when I am grilling too. I really like day drinking on the weekends around the house. I don't even drink inside in the evenings. The only exception is when I go hang out with friends or other social events, which isn't that often. I rarely drink liquor.

Occasionally I may drink one inside in the evenings on the weekends and my kids think it's strange.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:50 pm

If I don`t have one of my morning weeks at work (when I have to get up at 3 am) I like a couple of glasses of red wine or a few beers while watching movies or series on netflix with the bosslady.Nothing wrong with bringing a little Jägermeister out into nature (nice to have a little jäger around the camp fire).
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:16 pm

I used to like to mix a little jack and coke (let's say 3 doubles) with a 40MG Oxy and possibly a .5 xanax or some cholryl hydrate every now and again. Would occasionally also mix in 2ML of an Indica tincture into a shot or 3 of rye whiskey as a nightcap. this melange was just about right for putting me adjacent to death's door without actually pulling the full Hank Williams.

It is for these reasons that I don't drink much anymore.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:23 pm

One or two high alc IPA's or stiff bourbons a night takes the edge of the vast quantities of caffeine required to get thru the day.

I love moderation with regards to alcohol, but certainly not caffeine, and fuck anyone who tells me otherwise.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:24 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:I used to like to mix a little jack and coke (let's say 3 doubles) with a 40MG Oxy and possibly a .5 xanax or some cholryl hydrate every now and again. Would occasionally also mix in 2ML of an Indica tincture into a shot or 3 of rye whiskey as a nightcap. this melange was just about right for putting me adjacent to death's door without actually pulling the full Hank Williams.

Holy shit, moderation doesn't seem to be in your make-up.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:38 pm

DikTracy6000 wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:I used to like to mix a little jack and coke (let's say 3 doubles) with a 40MG Oxy and possibly a .5 xanax or some cholryl hydrate every now and again. Would occasionally also mix in 2ML of an Indica tincture into a shot or 3 of rye whiskey as a nightcap. this melange was just about right for putting me adjacent to death's door without actually pulling the full Hank Williams.

Holy shit, moderation doesn't seem to be in your make-up.
It's never been a strong suit, no.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:04 pm

I can pretty much weigh-in here as an SME on booze drinking....and I mean 80 proof or better vs. wine/beer. It's not a big secret to a lot of you, so fuck it.

Everyone is correct here. Awful drug.....absolutely awful. Even if you fancy yourself as a 'big drinker' and think you can get away with it, it's always good for one to abstain for a few days per week, every week, and on top of that, a few weeks of totally abstaining, a few times per year. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, thing for me, but take it for what it's worth. If you 'got the gene' you're probably fucked and better off abstaining all together and find someone who sells decent weed.

milosz

Post by milosz » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:27 pm

Trading in 60% of my drinking for weed was the best health decision I've made. I've found that if I have 3+ drinks more than one night a week, my blood pressure climbs 10-15 points.

I don't want to abstain completely for social reasons but I've switched entirely from liquor back to beer or wine. I gave up beer because it made me feel like shit the next day... but knowing that caps me out at two drinks.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:35 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote: Alcohol is a great food but a terrible drug.
Dat's a nugget.

I misspent a few years trying to figure out how to moderate drinking. Way easier for me to not.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:46 am

Drinking is too much work. Smoking takes a few seconds and doesn't require drinking a few dozen ounces of liquid over a longer period of time.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:29 am

I can't buy beer without drinking it all.

So, I don't buy it.

Except when I do. Then I swear I won't do it again.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:40 am

One of the Russian motivational gurus equated drinking with borrowing time. Trigs are not too good - have couple of shots and get away from reality for a little while. You will always have to pay it back - most commonly with feeling shit the next day. Still, done infrequently it's ok. But borrow too much too often and you will not be able to repay it.

I will finish my sermon with the simple note from old Ecclesiastes: there is time for everything. So there is time for drinking - few whiskeys with a good cigar, few glasses of red with bleeding piece of beef or a few shots of vodka to keep the good company warm. My grandmother said it's ok.

And of course enhancing the effect with Ambient, weed or mild opioids has its place too. Not that I would have any experience with it, of course...

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:51 pm

I can drink WAAAAAAY TOO MUCH, WAAAAAY TOO OFTEN, if I'm not extremely careful.

And lately I've been revisiting the idea of just giving it up completely (again), because dammit, it feels like it takes more effort to practice moderation than just giving it up altogether.

I don't know. Still thinking about it.
WildGorillaMan wrote:$4000 bicycle. $300 shoes. $400 spandex.

35% bodyfat.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:29 pm

No secret here: I'm an alcoholic and an addict. Been sober for about four years.

I have no off switch for booze or drugs. If I start, I don't stop until the shit's all gone and I can't get any more. I probably cheated death a few times; I definitely cheated the Bay Area's DWI and divorce lawyers more than once.

I dunno. I've been really hesitant to post on this thread. A dude in my position -- it can come across as moralizing if I say anything. So let me be very clear: How anyone else lives their life is no fucking business of mine, and I can only speak for myself.

But I've been in the position of feeling like, "shit, drinking isn't working so well for me right now, but if I just change this one thing (only drinking on weekends, or switching from beer to wine, or whatever) everything will be fine again." And certainly moderation was more work for me than abstinence: Trying to drink politely was a white-knuckled, tooth-clenched test of will; one I failed more often than not.

Hell of a drug, etc.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:17 pm

Bud Charniga's grape ape wrote:No secret here: I'm an alcoholic and an addict. Been sober for about four years.

I have no off switch for booze or drugs. If I start, I don't stop until the shit's all gone and I can't get any more. I probably cheated death a few times; I definitely cheated the Bay Area's DWI and divorce lawyers more than once.

I dunno. I've been really hesitant to post on this thread. A dude in my position -- it can come across as moralizing if I say anything. So let me be very clear: How anyone else lives their life is no fucking business of mine, and I can only speak for myself.

But I've been in the position of feeling like, "shit, drinking isn't working so well for me right now, but if I just change this one thing (only drinking on weekends, or switching from beer to wine, or whatever) everything will be fine again." And certainly moderation was more work for me than abstinence: Trying to drink politely was a white-knuckled, tooth-clenched test of will; one I failed more often than not.

Hell of a drug, etc.
Really good post. I do think 90%+ can handle it without issue. But for those of us who can out drink a bull elephant raised in Russia, we are the ones who die from the shit....and often not while we are not drinking, but when we are getting off the sauce.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:16 am

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:
Bud Charniga's grape ape wrote:No secret here: I'm an alcoholic and an addict. Been sober for about four years.

Hell of a drug, etc.
Really good post. I do think 90%+ can handle it without issue. But for those of us who can out drink a bull elephant raised in Russia, we are the ones who die from the shit....and often not while we are not drinking, but when we are getting off the sauce.
FWIW...and this comes as no surprise to anyone, I'm a massive fan of drugs and can and have quit them all cold turkey easily and without remorse, including injectable opiates. I get tired of shit and just stop doing it. Whatever that switch that gets flipped in a classic addict I don;t have it. That said, I find alcohol to be the most subtly challenging of all the drug to handle regardless of how you're wired and I believe it has substantial downsides even for non alcoholics. Johno has found something that works for him, I found a different thing for me but as a guy sitting on the opposite end of the spectrum from the AA crowd, I still think whiskey is more dangerous than opiates and a bigger threat to a well lived life than anything I've ever taken.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:41 am

Respect to all you guys who have found your own way. Whether it be abstinence, moderate drinking, or ....

I respect anyone who stands up on his hind legs and admits the truth, whatever it is for him or her. And deals with it.

W.B. Yeats