Physical Therapy & Stupid Human Tricks

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

stanley_white
Gunny

Physical Therapy & Stupid Human Tricks

Post by stanley_white » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:59 pm

At what point does PT become the problem instead of the solution?

I welcome your multiple anecdotes which I will call data.

-Stan

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: Physical Therapy & Stupid Human Tricks

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:48 pm

Exhibit A.

"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:52 pm

from laura freshman, recently retired middle distance runner:
If an injury drags on, you get progressively less excited when someone uncovers a new “weakness” that might be the source of your problem: Weak glutes; muscle imbalances; scar tissue; fascia tightness; lack of flexibility; neural misfiring; bad motor pathway habits; lack of core strength.

Before you know it, you have a laundry list of issues and a binder full of strength exercises. After enough time, even if the therapy is world class, you start to feel like nothing works properly and you can’t understand how you ever ran well in the first place.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:02 am

PT for things besides certain surgeries and diseases is mostly dogshit IMO. For "bro" sports injuries or pain, it is usually finding a certain muscle they think is weak and carpet bombing it with isolation exercises every day. Bery little exercise that involves multiple joints/muscle groups, very little getting the muscles to work together with loaded gross movement patterns. All just shitty isolated stretches and exercises with shitty programming.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:09 am

It's a bad sign for an entire type of profession when Louie Simmons or Mark Rippetoe are better sources of information.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:12 am

Very, very operator dependent. I know a successful physio in Sydney whose work is streamlined: you come in, get a consultation (10 minutes) then 10 minutes on electrophoresis machine, then 10 minutes of ultrasound etc. Obviously charged for every step. And - obviously - success rate is high, because most things... get better either way. And a chiropractor with the same MO: jumping from room to room to "adjust" the spine, each session under five minutes (and forty bucks) for the patient.

On the other hand, you have guys like Terra who has great integrity, spends full hour with the patient and helped me a few times with my issues. Too bad he is practicing too far away from me, otherwise he would have the pleasure of seeing me every week.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:54 am

Sangoma wrote:On the other hand, you have guys like Terra who has great integrity, spends full hour with the patient and helped me a few times with my issues. Too bad he is practicing too far away from me, otherwise he would have the pleasure of seeing me every week.
Is he the one who prefers you as a blonde?
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:38 pm

PT is great for old or young folks who have injuries and have no knowledge of what to do. Any amount of physiological and self knowledge begins to obviate the use of a PT. Now that they are all going to be PhDs coming out they will have some more leverage and freedom to operate. Now they strongly avoid giving you diagnostic opinions, and do more cookie cutter approaches.

There is some difference individually. One fo the ones i have seen was very massage focused and about releasing hot spots. Great practicioner. Others not so much. I have taken a few good things away i will use, but i am very sure i know when and where to push things and when i needed to slow things down. But if i as a 90 year old with a new hip i think maybe the help would be more appreciated.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:04 pm

PT, like surgery, chiropractic work, massage, etc. are great. For their purpose. However, after it has done its job, actual training needs to happen to return you stronger and more conditioned than you were when the shit went down.

Most reputable pts, chiros, docs, etc. will tell you this.

That being said, I know quite a few PTs who have ended up all but crippling their patients because they felt that their craft was the one and only. Including the idiots who worked with my mom and undid all the strength training I had spent years working her into. (And scaring her into thinking the strength training was doing her harm.) The happy ending to the story is that I fired my mother as a client and hooked her up with a trainer at the Y who has her doing all the machines (which she refused to do before) and she's regained a lot of function. But, I went through a lot of bullshit dealing with the quacks.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

stanley_white
Gunny

Post by stanley_white » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:36 pm

Thank you everyone!

-Stan

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:36 pm

Turdacious wrote:
Sangoma wrote:On the other hand, you have guys like Terra who has great integrity, spends full hour with the patient and helped me a few times with my issues. Too bad he is practicing too far away from me, otherwise he would have the pleasure of seeing me every week.
Is he the one who prefers you as a blonde?
That's too personal to talk about.

Boris

Post by Boris » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:57 pm

I'm sure there are great physical therapists, just like there are great personal trainers and shrinks, but they are few and far between...

I hear people rave about their therapists and I just wonder "If they are so great, why do you have to continue to see them like forever...?"

With regard to swimming, I have a lot of kids who need shoulder (and hip) re-education... I wouldn't say I'm a genius at dealing w. my swimmers problems, but I don't see the kids who see therapists regularly exactly improving by leaps and bounds... Decades ago, the PTs I saw did electro-stim, ultrasound, heat, and ice... and prescribed exercises that were worthless. I know for a fact that some have changed little since then.