The Bicep Tendon Thread

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

stanley_white
Gunny

The Bicep Tendon Thread

Post by stanley_white » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:19 pm

I have battled with my right bicep tendon for a couple of years now. My left one recently acted up too. Both had cortisone injections in the last 30 days and are 98% percent where I need them to be.

I had never had a cortisone injection before and frankly I am amazed at the outcome.

I hope in this thread to discuss the bicep tendon and find out everyone's Magic Mana for dealing with said annoying tendon.

To get the the discussion rolling...

1. What did you do to annoy your bicecp tendon?

2. What did you go to fix it?

For me...

Bench pressing with flared elbows for my right and overhead pressing a 28kg KB with my elbow outside the scapular plane for my left. For my right shitloads of physical therapy, stopped bench pressing, started barbell military pressing a lot, it went away in 8 months. For my left I had one cortisone injection and it was fixed. My right recently flared up again because I did push-ups, it got cortisone yesterday, and it is 98% today. Just to be safe I am done with all horizontal pushing and will only vertically push a barbell.

-Stan

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Re: The Bicep Tendon Thread

Post by Ryan » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:13 pm

At the shoulder (short head or long head) or elbow?
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

stanley_white
Gunny

Post by stanley_white » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:25 pm

Ryan wrote:At the shoulder (short head or long head) or elbow?
Long head.

-Stan

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:01 am

BD is the bicep tear guru. He's to bicep tears that Shaf is to Internet snark. He's the reigning king of bicep tears. Pretty sure he'all get a partial tear just from clicking this thread.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:05 am

I tore a bicep opening this page.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:24 pm

When I was in college I tore my labrum and damaged my biceps tendon in my right arm. They scoped the labrum, and released the long head of the biceps tendon. I have never had any ill effects from the procedure. No noticeable weakness, pain, etc. If you ever get to that point and the ortho recommend it, consider it.

How it happened: This is actually funny, all the judo, rugby and lifting I had done - no really serious injuries (broken noses and fingers from rugby). I joined the Cheerleading squad at my university chasing tail - it was super fun but lead to two of the most serious injuries I ever had up to then. Throwing girls in the air and catching them with one hand is hard on the arm and shoulder.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:47 pm

I've gotten grade two tears to both biceps, Right side twice, left side three times. The good news is I must have decent tendon strength as I've never gotten a full detachment...bad news is whatever teh leverages are that put my biceps at a disadvantage are pretty pernicious.

The things that aggravate biceps both proximal and distal are the same in all cases. Explosive movements like power curls, atlas stones or caber toss with compromised shoulder mechanics. In each injury, I had messed up my shoulder on that side first, usually though bad posture plus heavy pressing. If you have shitty shoulder girdle mechanics, you're at a much greater risk for bicep and lower arm issues. Ive seen this pattern with PL/SM/HG guys.

Shit shoulders will result in:

Brachioradialis tendonosis
Elbow tendonosis, lateral and medial
Torn Supinators, Bicep, and Brachialis.
Ac joint impingement from bicep tendon.

if grade 1 tear-rest and exercise ASAP, light. work shoulder and upper back mobility.

If grade 2 (you see black and blue and swelling but no detachment), rest briefly and return to activity ASAP...run whole shoulder arm complex through extensive retraining of ROM. Apply HEAT..not ice as soon as tolerable. Do NOT use NSAIDS. COnsider peptides etc.

If Grade 3 (partial detach....see a doctor) Full detachment? Congrats, your bicep problems are over, get to work ASAP. Don't waste your money on the surgery...most get it wrong and lose lots of function. I have seen a dozen high level (elite/pro/etc) strength athletes in multiple disciplines do extremely well without a functional bicep..including one arm wrestler. Once it pops off it stops hurting fairly quickly.

Preventative tip...It took me a long time to figure this out...If you have long femurs, you're gonna get knee pain, if you have long forearms, you're gonna get bicep and elbow pain. Best way to mitigate a short humerus, long radius/ulna is do a shit load of arm work building mass and strength with moderate reps, work upper back and shoulder ROM and stretch all the big tight muscles most get from weights or heavy grappling etc(pecs/arms.shoulder, traps) I have an entire off-season block planned for this winter to address this weakness.

stanley_white
Gunny

Post by stanley_white » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:28 am

Thank you everyone!

-Stan

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:09 am

http://forum.dragondoor.com/training/message/326195%5C

Top 10 ways to avoid a bicep tear
Subject: Fitness
Date/Time 2005-03-24 22:37:20
Remote IP:
2. Do not go overboard on curls
3. Do all arm/back work to full extension
4. Do not do steroids
5. If a bar is bent or sleeves do not rotate, do not DL with that bar.
6. Stay hydrated
7. Do shoulder dislocates with JS bands.
8. Do not do Dl lockouts with more than 20% above your max
9. Alternate your pronated hand from set to set when training
10. Do all your bicep/lat work with a false grip

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:54 pm

I aggravated my bicep tendons at the elbows by both doing way too many chinups and getting too gung-ho on curls.

I've had to leave curls alone for a few months and reorganize my back work to movements that allow me to take the biceps out of the chain. It's a drag.

To compensate I've been kicking the shit out of my triceps, and doing lots of wrist-roller forearm work, which I suspect may be indirectly helping rehab my biceps.
Last edited by WildGorillaMan on Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:22 pm

Super Nugget Worthy thread here.

One client with 'iffy' elbows and one with biceps surgery. Occlusion training has been beneficial.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:59 pm

I've had tears (not ruptures) in both arms - outer head - from rock climbing. When I started climbing I was much stronger than my skill level and powered everything - big mistake. Takes a long time to come back 100%. Reverse curls and reverse wrist curls have really made a difference since then. the problem is that once I get better I always stop doing them - what a dummy :).

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:59 pm

Stanley, just curious, do you squat?
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

stanley_white
Gunny

Post by stanley_white » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:52 pm

TerryB wrote:Stanley, just curious, do you squat?
Yes.

-Stan

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:05 pm

be careful tom, sounds like kenneth the dirtbag jay is coming up with a new version of occlusion training that beats kaatsu from the way he's been deriding it on Rif's comments

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:51 pm

A bunch of us ran this kaatsu thing to ground and although I'm sure we weren't being ultra scientifical, the main benefit seemed to be pain relief from modest over use and tendonosis injuries. I know others have gotten appreciable hypertrophy benefits but it seemed to come at a fairly high recovery cost, contrary to what the literature suggested.

That said..if you were gonna try occlusion, the bicep, lower arm complex is probably the easiest place to give it a run.

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:07 pm

I ripped my bicep tendon off at the elbow and had it reattached after doing some stupid shit.

I also have had shoulder impingement issues on the other side, which I'm pretty sure are from my bicep tendon getting pinched. For me it seems to be from shitty scapular mechanics. I do the correctives, it goes away. I stop and don't watch my form (particularly on pullups) it comes back.

Another thing that can cause it is lack of flexibility in the biceps (doesn't hurt to hit brachialis also). Shoulders and scapula get pulled forward, issues ensue.

Hit trigger points and stretch those bad boys. Release-your-biceps-and-free-your-arms-shoulders-and-neck
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:10 pm

I'm dabbling with occlusion and vmo.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:12 pm

That's an I threshing data point ryan

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:25 pm

I stopped doing anything that bothered my shoulders, and my bicep tendon issues slowly went away.

No vertical rowing, no incline or overhead barbell work, no side lateral raises, etc.

I think almost every issue of shoulder pain comes from scapular dysfunction.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

stanley_white
Gunny

Post by stanley_white » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:50 pm

Testiclaw wrote:I stopped doing anything that bothered my shoulders, and my bicep tendon issues slowly went away.

No vertical rowing, no incline or overhead barbell work, no side lateral raises, etc.

I think almost every issue of shoulder pain comes from scapular dysfunction.
Interesting that eliminating overhead barbell work helped. For me, overhead barbell work, specifically the military press, helped me immensely.

-Stan

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:53 pm

When I was skinny it was okay...as I beefed myself up the mobility just wasn't there.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

stanley_white
Gunny

Post by stanley_white » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:56 pm

Testiclaw wrote:When I was skinny it was okay...as I beefed myself up the mobility just wasn't there.
Context is key.

Thank you for adding that.

-Stan

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:41 am

I had extreme bicep tendon pain when I squatted heavy (for me) every day.
I started regular massage from a LMT during the last major squat cycle and the pain disappeared. The funny thing is that although the massage included work on my arms, including biceps, that is a small part of the massage. I get a standard vanilla full body Swedish type massage. If there's any concentration it's on lower back and legs (because squats, duh) but otherwise it's fairly plain.
But no pain at all in the biceps now, no matter how often I squat.
Recommended

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:58 am

Squatting jacks my shoulders and biceps far more than bench or press. The theme emerging is pretty clear and useful. Fix your damn shoulders, it's not super hard if you're willing to avoid certain things and do the stretching.

Another unsung culprit...anterior neck meat. SCM esp.