The Bicep Tendon Thread

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

User avatar
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6633
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:16 pm
Contact:

Re: The Bicep Tendon Thread

Post by Sangoma » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:30 am

Interesting. Few years ago my right shoulder flared up and I couldnt do anything upper body related. I decided to give Supersquats a go. The first session was agony - the position of the arms hurt the shoulder like nothing. But in a few sessions I was surprised to realise that the shoulder wasn't hurting anymore, to the point that I could start benching.
Image

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21108
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: The Bicep Tendon Thread

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:59 pm

That mobility mastery site has some pretty good vids on where and how to roll some shit out.

Ryan
Sgt. Major
Posts: 2921
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: The Bicep Tendon Thread

Post by Ryan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:55 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:That mobility mastery site has some pretty good vids on where and how to roll some shit out.
It does, but when she demos some exercises (rows come to mind) her form is atrocious.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21108
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: The Bicep Tendon Thread

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:01 am

Yeah. I find some of her locations eerily accurate

Luke
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:19 am

Re: The Bicep Tendon Thread

Post by Luke » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:46 am

For years I had what the internet said was biceps tendon flareups. In April this year while having the sensation, I had an ultrasound with a senior Dr and widely recommended u/sound operator. She found no trace of inflammation and very normal looking biceps tendon. While she didn't rule out that something would appear via MRI, a shoulder specialist physio afterwards believed the problems were occurring elsewhere in the shoulder and was going to kick me on to an surgeon.

I couldn't have fit the surgery in for this year simply because of what else has been happening and the fact it was only a real issue if I wanted to train.

I've spent this year doing no powerlifting (but almost zero exercise) and only now I'm noticing how that pain and discomfort has abated enough to get back to the gym. I'm not benching and will only squat with a makeshift SSB (straps over the barbell) -- but at the moment I'm doing very light cardio-based workouts. I've had the revelation I'm willing to forfeit powerlifting for the ability to workout pain-free and not have to undergo a shoulder reconstruction.

The specialist said my shoulder "tightness" was illusory. It was symptomatic of a very unstable joint and he said I should never have been mobilising it via stretching, yoga, mwods etc.


Tl;dr: Be careful what you think is up, get scanned, get a few people looking at it....time can heal.

User avatar
powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 7937
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:46 pm
Location: TX

Re: The Bicep Tendon Thread

Post by powerlifter54 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:57 pm

Luke wrote:
I've spent this year doing no powerlifting (but almost zero exercise) and only now I'm noticing how that pain and discomfort has abated enough to get back to the gym. I'm not benching and will only squat with a makeshift SSB (straps over the barbell) -- but at the moment I'm doing very light cardio-based workouts. I've had the revelation I'm willing to forfeit powerlifting for the ability to workout pain-free and not have to undergo a shoulder reconstruction.
I am appalled. lol. Seriously, much respect. Can you write the forward to my training book?
Luke wrote:
The specialist said my shoulder "tightness" was illusory. It was symptomatic of a very unstable joint and he said I should never have been mobilising it via stretching, yoga, mwods etc.
People with very mobile joints, for example pitchers, quarterbacks, and javelin throwers, do not need to be doing off the shelf mobility for their moneymakers.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

User avatar
terra
Top
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:54 pm

Re: The Bicep Tendon Thread

Post by terra » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:55 pm

Get your serratus ant and supra spinatus working properly. Get your nerve system to trust your shoulder movement.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21108
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: The Bicep Tendon Thread

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:00 pm

Resources on doing that, terra?

User avatar
WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 9951
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:01 pm

Re: The Bicep Tendon Thread

Post by WildGorillaMan » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:13 pm

As it happens, right now both biceps and my left adductor are fuct. Maybe I should start my own thread.
Image
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Luke
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:19 am

Re: The Bicep Tendon Thread

Post by Luke » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:50 am

powerlifter54 wrote:
Luke wrote:
I've spent this year doing no powerlifting (but almost zero exercise) and only now I'm noticing how that pain and discomfort has abated enough to get back to the gym. I'm not benching and will only squat with a makeshift SSB (straps over the barbell) -- but at the moment I'm doing very light cardio-based workouts. I've had the revelation I'm willing to forfeit powerlifting for the ability to workout pain-free and not have to undergo a shoulder reconstruction.
I am appalled. lol. Seriously, much respect. Can you write the forward to my training book?
Luke wrote:
The specialist said my shoulder "tightness" was illusory. It was symptomatic of a very unstable joint and he said I should never have been mobilising it via stretching, yoga, mwods etc.
People with very mobile joints, for example pitchers, quarterbacks, and javelin throwers, do not need to be doing off the shelf mobility for their moneymakers.

Happy to! Ha ha. It's going really, really well so far in 2017*. I'm keeping the cardio-focus up but gradually moving into a bodybuilding routine because everything feels OK at the moment.

I've taken the Jocko Willinck "just do something and sweat" advice and mixed things up with new exercises and goals. The body feels good. I wish I could have seen the value in this years ago. Ah, youth.


*Totally aware I've probably just jinxed myself.

User avatar
powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 7937
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:46 pm
Location: TX

Re: The Bicep Tendon Thread

Post by powerlifter54 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:00 pm

There is no honor in continuing to do what hurts. Not talking about physical or emotional discomfort, but things that cause life changing pain. Just stop doing what is wrecking you. Incredible how powerful that is and fixes so many things.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

User avatar
Testiclaw
Top
Posts: 1844
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:30 pm
Location: Between the thighs, taint, and retractable claw.

Re: The Bicep Tendon Thread

Post by Testiclaw » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:16 am

powerlifter54 wrote:There is no honor in continuing to do what hurts. Not talking about physical or emotional discomfort, but things that cause life changing pain. Just stop doing what is wrecking you. Incredible how powerful that is and fixes so many things.
Yep.

I think it's the natural, smart progression to eventually trade away pain in daily life for lower or altered performance in the gym.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

Luke
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:19 am

Re: The Bicep Tendon Thread

Post by Luke » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:16 pm

Agreed!

Last year I had the worst flu I could remember. Since I started lifting in 2009, I'd never been hit with anything more than a sore throat that went away in a day or so. I really think if I'd been able to perform a consistent routine of something w/ weights, I wouldn't have been hit so hard - if at all.

The reason I couldn't was because I was laid out with injury and told not to go near lifting. Puts things into perspective. If I have to choose something, I'd rather be able to do something consistently, feel good and stay fit than lift 500lbs regularly - but no diss to people who can and want to! In a perfect world, I'd be in your camp any day of the week.

User avatar
terra
Top
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:54 pm

Re: The Bicep Tendon Thread

Post by terra » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:36 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Resources on doing that, terra?
Shaf,
Big apologies for not replying earlier, just saw your ur question.
There's not a lot of rocket science in the answer to your specific question. The mechanism that (I believe) lets our shoulder get into trouble is very interesting, but I'll save it for MY book, if I ever get around to it.

Do your side lying dumbell lat raises. Do them light and put your other hand on your supraspinatus as you do them to ensure activation. Lock your scap and isolate the supraspin. Some gentle ART type work on the distal supraspin tendon can certainly help.

The usual Serratus ant activation exercises are good, the scap push up etc. Make sure you get your breath into the side of your ribcage as you do these, that sounds weird but try it and you feel it more.

Getting your nerve system to trust your shoulder is a MASSIVE topic. But something you can simply do at home is hold a KB above your head with a straight arm (as if you just shoulder pressed it up). Now go for a walk. Keep the elbow locked, keep your arm close to your ear and keep your shoulder 'set in its socket' (all that stuff that Pavel etc bangs on about keeping the arm screwed into the shoulder joint). Position the KB above your head in such a manner that is keeps the serratus ant activated.
If you can't walk around for a while like this without pain 'in' under the deltoid, you probably need to get stuck into the subscap.

I've probably been way over-brief here. Feel free to ask more questions.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Post Reply