Hindu squats: Are they knee poison?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Hindu squats: Are they knee poison?

Post by JasonC » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:25 pm

I don't know what's gotten into me, but I have the urge to do Hindu squats. Is that a bad idea? (I am 43.)

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: Hindu squats: Are they knee poison?

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:32 pm

Man for some people they are NBD but for me...HOLYSHIT...NFW.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:38 pm

My knees are not Hindu - I did them one time and that was enough. Didn't hurt doing them but later on wasn't pretty. That sort of "bounce" is bad news for me at least.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:52 pm

Made my knees hurt like a mofo the last time I did them, and that was 10+ years ago. I wouldn't.

But, as BD says, there are plenty of folks for whom they seem fine.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:01 pm

Bud Charniga's grape ape wrote: there are plenty of folks for whom they seem fine.
hindus, presumably
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:08 pm

I didn't do them by the thousands/week but when I was >10 years older than you I didn't have problems with them. Were nice conditioners IME. Thought they were beneficial to balance and overall timing too.

I didn't have problems with deck squats either until my meniscus blew so YMMV w/Hindus.

Arthritis in my right knee where I had the torn meniscus cleaned out has caught up with me in recent years so I don't do them much at all anymore. Primarily out of caution.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:10 pm

Thomas Kurz wrote
About your knees: I think that many people benefit from Hindu squats because their knees are not really shot—just poorly stabilized. Apparently this form of movement does everything the knee needs. But if someone has bad arthritis, with bone on bone contact, then it is too late for fixing it by just “using it.”

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:11 pm

Definitely don't over do them the first time.

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:17 am

I like them and worked up to 500 per day to see if I could. I did have a problem once when I was not doing them as regularly and sometime after I finished I had some swelling around my knee. Maybe I hurt the bursa but I don't know. In general they were fine for me and I like the exercise. You might try warming up with a variation where the heels are together and you very slowly come down and go back up. This prevents the bounce that may occur doing them at normal speed. I suspect that the bounce is where the problem often occurs.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:49 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Definitely don't over do them the first time.
I distinctly recall our young, old buddy, Fat Cat (who is not fat, BTW, but not 'light' either), suggest that if you do try Hindu Squats, you must build up very slowly and remember, the breathing rhythm is opposite other squats.

Personally, I wish I kept up with them, but for me, they're ancient history.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:33 am

I used to like them as a warmup. When I was younger, doing them seemed to cure my knee tendonitis (it hasn't come back). I prefer doing them on my toes, but mix in the flat footed ones as well. Can't say I do them often these days.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:58 am

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Definitely don't over do them the first time.
I distinctly recall our young, old buddy, Fat Cat (who is not fat, BTW, but not 'light' either), suggest that if you do try Hindu Squats, you must build up very slowly and remember, the breathing rhythm is opposite other squats.

Personally, I wish I kept up with them, but for me, they're ancient history.
This is probably very key advice.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:14 pm

Thanks, everybody. Shaf, Thomas Kurz's opinion carries a lot of weight with me. I think I'll try them, building up slowly and using Bedlam's variation.

VBX, do you think the breathing pattern has some kind of function for safety/form?

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:19 am

JasonC wrote:Thanks, everybody. Shaf, Thomas Kurz's opinion carries a lot of weight with me. I think I'll try them, building up slowly and using Bedlam's variation.

VBX, do you think the breathing pattern has some kind of function for safety/form?
I think you're not doing Hindu squats if you're not doing the Rx'd breathing pattern. IIRC, it takes a bit to get used to, especially if you're used to 'normal' squatting and it is a rhythm and deep breathing thing.

Edit:

Here's a Mahler tutorial on Hindu Squats.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:37 am

IMHO (and again I haven't done them in a while) the breathing came pretty natural once I started doing sets of 50 or more.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

dkay
Sarge

Post by dkay » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:59 am

Sidetrack: In the pre-Internet days, about 23 years ago, I saw Tom Kurz' stretching book advertised in the back of Blackbelt or somesuch. I phoned the number to order and it turned out that he lived in my hometown. He told me to come over and pick up a copy. I drove over to his house, and his wife gave me a book that he had signed, and gave me a discount (book was something like $15 and she me have it for $10 because I had taken the time to pick it up). I was impressed by their integrity and openness - also, Kurz' stretching stuff is still state of the art and predates Pavels stuff by several years. Kurz is still in amazing shape now and he has got to be in his late 60's.

My knees have been really creaky for a couple of years when I back squat (front squatting not so bad). Free squats don't hurt - Maybe I'll try and gently ease into some Hindu squats for a change of pace and see if they help general stability.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:51 pm

Freehand squats, both flat footed and on my toes are part of my warmup before front and back squats, along with stretching the quads, hams, and hips.

My knees like them, but I'm not going overboard either.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:44 pm

Squatting on your toes is kind of a natural thing in athletics. It was a common exercise in the gym a while back too. Of course certain drills are not for everyone, but it's a valuable tool.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Spiller
Corporal

Post by Spiller » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:15 am

Depends on what kind of shape your knees are in.

For me 10+ years ago, no problem, but boring as heck over 100 reps.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:36 pm

TomFurman wrote:Squatting on your toes is kind of a natural thing in athletics. It was a common exercise in the gym a while back too. Of course certain drills are not for everyone, but it's a valuable tool.
MLB baseball players are probably the least 'fit' of the pro team sports, but I always thought that the catcher had to be the most athletic and 'fit' of the positions, due to the fact that they spend day in and day out in a fairly deep squat for a few hours at a shot.

Chris McClinch
Sarge

Post by Chris McClinch » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:25 pm

Catchers definitely spend the most time in a deep squat, but I think most would say that centerfielders and shortstops tend to be the fittest and most athletic.