Squat racks

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Squat racks

Post by syaigh » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:39 am

I need one with safety pins. I don't want to drill it into my concrete floor. I'm looking at the rogue one but it says it needs to be floor mounted. Could I instead maybe use a couple of 2x10's to mount each side on and/or build a platform to screw it into? Or what? Most that would be squatted or benched would be 350/225.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Boris

Re: Squat racks

Post by Boris » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:45 am

If you're not particular on how things look... A couple of sturdy wooden boxes would do the job. If you have wood and a drill, it's not hard to make, and pretty inexpensive.

Or, you could shell out a grand for these: http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-wood-jerk-blocks

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:39 pm

Mount them on a doubled sheet of 3/4" plywood (use some big washers so the bolts can't pull through - single layer will do just fine but in a more commercial setting, I'd double it up). Then you are standing on the same thing that holds it all together and it won't move at all - the more weight you have on your back - the harder it's all pushing down).

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:49 pm

climber511 wrote:Mount them on a doubled sheet of 3/4" plywood (use some big washers so the bolts can't pull through - single layer will do just fine but in a more commercial setting, I'd double it up). Then you are standing on the same thing that holds it all together and it won't move at all - the more weight you have on your back - the harder it's all pushing down).
Honestly, it would be wise to build a double layer of plywood and, if you feel fancy, stall mats around the rack/lifting area.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:34 pm

How about adjustable work horses? Getting ones low enough for benching might be a problem.

I have the pillars of power with my vulcan rack, but they're not cheap.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:44 pm

Thanks guys. II'l look at the platform specs and see what I can put together.

For the record, this isnt for me. I coach women who are squatting 300-400 lbs. One just broke the American record. I have two racks that are solid enough to not need ground support. Need to expand my rack number due to high gym density but need to save money.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.