Adductors

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Adductors

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:54 pm

The last 5 years, whenever I've ramped up into heavier squatting, I've had this tendency to pull something in my groin, I'm assuming it's an adductor, since that's the area I feel it. As I start to make a move into heavier training, I want to avoid this, yet I can kind of feel it even now.

My adductor flexibility isn't bad though.

This is my tenative plan.

1. Be more aggressive with tissue management in the adductor area. Tissue rolling via various implements, maybe some compressive stuff with heavier kettlebells to mimic Thompson's body tempering stuff.

2. Cossack squats and side lunges

3. Passive stretching after everything is hot.

I might have to switch 2 and 3 around though.

Any thoughts/ideas?

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Adductors

Post by powerlifter54 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:15 pm

A lot of times this is from relatively weaker abductors. Have worked through this over the years and again now as i return to squatting or at least try. A good multi directional warm up is big, and like the DT rolling ideas. i really, really recommend a light band doubled around the knees to keep your knees over your feet and keeping the abductors engaged.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:11 pm

Good point. Looking to strengthen the glute medius too for better control at the knee

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:27 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:A lot of times this is from relatively weaker abductors. Have worked through this over the years and again now as i return to squatting or at least try. A good multi directional warm up is big, and like the DT rolling ideas. i really, really recommend a light band doubled around the knees to keep your knees over your feet and keeping the abductors engaged.
I've found that my right adductor magnus (hip extender some call the 4th hamstring) gets tight from squatting and some other lower body work. Weak abductors, weak glute max (esp. weak external rotation), weak lower abs/obliques and tight TFL can all contribute IME.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

I dig big chicks
Staff Sergeant

Post by I dig big chicks » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:39 am

I see adductor issues often in my weightlifters. In fact, I think it's one of the most significant areas I need to fix. but it's not just the adductors, it's whole pelvis and hamstrings. But with you I would bet it's the lower abs, too. Just because. Do you have an anterior pelvic tilt?

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:19 am

EliteFTS just did a whole video series on correcting APT. I'd bet you have it.

https://www.elitefts.com/education/watc ... -overcash/
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:22 am

Bd rehabbed his tear with hip belt squats. Increased range of motion and lots of volume. Its in his log in august i think.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Boris

Post by Boris » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:10 am

Ryan wrote:
powerlifter54 wrote:A lot of times this is from relatively weaker abductors. Have worked through this over the years and again now as i return to squatting or at least try. A good multi directional warm up is big, and like the DT rolling ideas. i really, really recommend a light band doubled around the knees to keep your knees over your feet and keeping the abductors engaged.
I've found that my right adductor magnus (hip extender some call the 4th hamstring) gets tight from squatting and some other lower body work. Weak abductors, weak glute max (esp. weak external rotation), weak lower abs/obliques and tight TFL can all contribute IME.
Yes. These.

Spiller
Corporal

Post by Spiller » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:49 am

Balancing your pelvis. Not just pelvis (anterior) tilt, but also pelvis rotation (in transverse plane). Plus assessing ilium rotation (anterior/posterior) on each other/sacrum, and any ilium upslip.

Unless you can feel hunks of scar tissue, I wouldn't focus on (1). I like (3), but you don't necessarily have to wait until everything is hot if you start easy and only lengthen the muscle when your tissue relaxes some. It may not have worked for your shoulders, but from what I understand that you said about them, (1) wasn't a miracle cure for them either. It's all about time held, intensity of hold, and frequency.

Instead of your (2), I prefer wide stance barbell squats. Not going super heavy, but this can prioritize the adductors.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:46 pm

Thanks Spiller

I've always had decent hip flex and Mob, so this is stuff that is totally new to me

terra

Post by terra » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:34 pm

Common. Any or all of:
Reduced tone in lateral glute group (phasic etc)
Chronic defence pattern through pelvis/lower limbs.
Respiration.

The quick fix:
Activation exercises for lateral glute muscle group and PIR lengthening of adductors.

The longer term solution addressing actual primary condition:
I can't be bothered writing it out when everyone only wants the quick fix.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:51 pm

LOL, terra...nothing for me is a quick fix. It's all and endless slog, ending when I'm dead

Boris

Post by Boris » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:59 am

Spiller wrote: Instead of your (2), I prefer wide stance barbell squats. Not going super heavy, but this can prioritize the adductors.
I used to do ultra-wide stance squats w. manta-ray - I looked at it as pretty hard core mobility work as I was trying to widen my stance for powerlifting. I don't think I ever went really heavy, but it was a good exercise. Might have to give it another shot.

There are a lot of 'traditional' and non-traditional stretches and mobility moves that I do for the hips (and have my swimmers do). Some of them are in these posts, but some I've just never put to paper or video. I do the tactical frog stuff once in a while too.

Here are some:
http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2009/04/dai ... ength.html
http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2010/11/sti ... ching.html

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:55 pm

I like to have people do a few rounds of abductor work, alternated with adductor work, as a warm-up.

So Band Side Walks and Side Lunges for example, 1-3 sets of each, 10-20 reps at a light/moderate resistance initially, then increasing resistance over time.

For primary exercises - wide-leg good mornings and wide-leg squats.
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!" - Edna St. Vincent Millay

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:03 pm

One trick is to start any hip work with side and front planks from Dean Somerset's little trick of releasing those areas via firing the core. It works.

Thomas Kurz with either hi rep, supine, adductor flyes or with iron boots comes to mind.

I'd follow the adductor work with VERY strict Windmills. Even straight legged ones as per Coach Sommers suggestion.

Another is to grab two kettlebells of medium weight, front squat to bottom position and "sigh",.. allow a release of adductor/hips.

Go through some cycles of the above and I think you will be good.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:18 am

Haven't seen anything in this thread that I would disregard. All good.

Couple things that were key for me.

Warm up to a low box with a wider stance
Hip belt squts as noted
Passive/active stretching before lifting
Windmills!! Yes
At night use heating pad
Focus on lower ab work

I joined la fitness for the good girl machine.

And...about all else. Volume, make quarter jumps not plate jumps on WU
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:43 pm

The pelvic rotation was also an issue for me. Again TFL mainly (for me), but rectus femoris and sartorius can contribute (they all attach at the iliac crest).

Windmills have worked well for me. Band work for glute activation (abduction and external rotation) and core activation work.

As much as the author's gotten on my nerves in the past, I've had good success using the exercises in this core article as a circuit before my workout (minus the stir the pot). I do the pallof press from tall kneeling position.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/iron- ... proof-body

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:50 pm

Ah, who remembers when Chad fucked AllisonNYC...such wonderful times.

So, Ryan, this looks more like a replacement for McGill's big 3, rather than an adductor thing? Or is it a pelvis rotation thing?

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:12 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Ah, who remembers when Chad fucked AllisonNYC...such wonderful times.

So, Ryan, this looks more like a replacement for McGill's big 3, rather than an adductor thing? Or is it a pelvis rotation thing?
It addresses my needs. The McGill 3 are very good and I've done them before, I just like these for now. McGill is also big on glute activation work.

If any of these other things are happening (listed in posts above), the adductors can tighten up. Example: adductor magnus opposes TFL/ glute med/minimus (abduction) and can rotate the pelvis, its posterior fibers can extend the hip (if glute max isn't working properly) and externally rotate the thigh (again if glute max and other ext. rotators are slacking). If the abs/obliques aren't stabilizing properly, it can also tilt the pelvis.

Its a core and hip communication issue.

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:56 pm

See if you can find an NKT practitioner in your area. It might prove helpful.

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:14 pm