Pretty pleased...

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Post Reply
User avatar
Beer Jew
Sgt. Major
Posts: 3273
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:35 pm

Pretty pleased...

Post by Beer Jew » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:56 pm

In week 2 of a 12 week cycle, with the aim of hitting (in kg's) 220/140/260 at the end of it.

Felt pretty strong on Friday, so decided to just work up to a heavy bench, and hit 140kg for a new PR, which I then repeated today. Realistically 145kg could probably go in 12 weeks, if not 150kg.

Pretty happy, this has been a long term aim of mine since I started lifting; my last PR before this was 132.5kg, so a nice 7.5kg PR.

Recently been benching heavy one day per week (5x4 at approx. 80% of intended 1RM), speed benching another day for some quick doubles, and then doing weighted dips, close grip, and rack benches dead-start from approx. 2 inches above my chest.

Personally I think the two that played the biggest part were the regular heavy benching, and the rack benches.

User avatar
WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 9951
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:01 pm

Re: Pretty pleased...

Post by WildGorillaMan » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:13 pm

Nice work, sir.
Image
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

User avatar
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6470
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Pretty pleased...

Post by Sangoma » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:24 pm

BJ, how much do you weigh?
Image

User avatar
Beer Jew
Sgt. Major
Posts: 3273
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:35 pm

Re: Pretty pleased...

Post by Beer Jew » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:11 pm

About 97kg at the moment, but I've put on a lot of weight recently. I sit most comfortably st around 90.

User avatar
powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 7878
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:46 pm
Location: TX

Re: Pretty pleased...

Post by powerlifter54 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:45 pm

Beer Jew wrote:In week 2 of a 12 week cycle, with the aim of hitting (in kg's) 220/140/260 at the end of it.

Felt pretty strong on Friday, so decided to just work up to a heavy bench, and hit 140kg for a new PR, which I then repeated today. Realistically 145kg could probably go in 12 weeks, if not 150kg.

Pretty happy, this has been a long term aim of mine since I started lifting; my last PR before this was 132.5kg, so a nice 7.5kg PR.

Recently been benching heavy one day per week (5x4 at approx. 80% of intended 1RM), speed benching another day for some quick doubles, and then doing weighted dips, close grip, and rack benches dead-start from approx. 2 inches above my chest.

Personally I think the two that played the biggest part were the regular heavy benching, and the rack benches.

Well done. Multiple medium sets will just make you strong. Always have. When you find the right assistance move it will keep working until your weak point changes. In a shirt that can happen fast. Raw, maybe never. Saw you also gained some weight, and be aware the bench is even more impacted by weight gain then the squat.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

User avatar
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6470
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Pretty pleased...

Post by Sangoma » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:34 pm

Not to steal BJ's thread, but - along the lines of "pretty pleased" - I squatted 100 kg yesterday! Two singles. I know you buggers are going to smirk, but for me this delving into the three digit load is a significant victory.

So far the plan seems to be working: light/moderate loads frequently and occasional - once every two to three weeks - push to the max.
Image

User avatar
Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5339
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Pretty pleased...

Post by Wild Bill » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:58 pm

Sangoma wrote:Not to steal BJ's thread, but - along the lines of "pretty pleased" - I squatted 100 kg yesterday!.
This just Great!

User avatar
WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 9951
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:01 pm

Re: Pretty pleased...

Post by WildGorillaMan » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:36 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
Sangoma wrote:Not to steal BJ's thread, but - along the lines of "pretty pleased" - I squatted 100 kg yesterday!.
This just Great!
A double bodyweight squat is nothing to sneeze at!
Image
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

User avatar
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6470
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Pretty pleased...

Post by Sangoma » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:18 am

Coughfuck coughyou
Image

User avatar
Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5339
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Pretty pleased...

Post by Wild Bill » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:24 am

Sangoma wrote:Coughfuck coughyou
You are not the weakest here. My bw 75-78kg, and i squating 48kg :)

User avatar
Really Big Strong Guy
Top
Posts: 1080
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:49 pm
Location: Doesn't matter

Re: Pretty pleased...

Post by Really Big Strong Guy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Well Done BJ! Keep that shit up.
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19077
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Pretty pleased...

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:22 pm

This is the type of good news the good people (sneak) of this forum need to hear on the regular.

BJ, I'm glad to hear you found a productive rhythm with your crazy schedule and all that.

Smelt same for you, you experimented and it worked! That's like two for one PR really.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Post Reply