YTWL

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

JimZipCode

YTWL

Post by JimZipCode » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:14 pm

Useful, or not?
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Re: YTWL

Post by powerlifter54 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:50 pm

yes. i like using a light workout band to do it. i do it sitting on and laying on my back on the floor. Great upper body warmup for benching. i also find pulls to the face first do the same thing.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:25 pm

I use the YTWL movements with a red mini band and combine it with an overhead squat as a warm up for everything....especially bench. What started as a goofy looking thing has turned into a staple for all my peeps as well.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:11 pm

I don't get a ton out of pull aparts. I'm not sure why

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:35 pm

I've had more shoulder relief from mobilizing the lats, traps, triceps and overall scapular ROM than any external rotation or YWTL stuff.

The combination would probably do well, but, I'm lazy.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:39 pm

I'm always wondering if someone did the Ironmind chest expander for serious, progressive, training could forget about a lot of the small rehab movements.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Boris

Post by Boris » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:28 am

For my swimmers, we do some band pull-apart variations that are kind of like YTWL - I don't know if they are original or not.

We use microbands or minibands and do high reps. Most swimmers in particular are horrible about moving the scaps during these but, with practice and nagging, get a lot better. Done correctly, I think they are great as a shoulder preventative for the kiddos.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:59 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:i like using a light workout band to do it.
Where can I buy one of those?

The ones I'm finding on Amazon are – well, not what I'm looking for.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:27 pm

elitefts.com has them, get the Jumpstretch minis.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:06 pm

:WTLW
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Boris

Post by Boris » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:56 pm

I decided to finally put this to a video. I have my swimmers do giant sets of these three exercises:

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:13 am

Is that an original Pollack???
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Boris

Post by Boris » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:26 am

Yeah, my wife bought it at Pier One.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:03 pm

Thanks for the info on these, guys. The Jumpstretch micro's (thin orange ones) were right for me.

At the gym I superset these with my shoulder push/pulls. That's a fancy word, "superset", to use for my level of training. I just mean, if it's bench and row day, I do one set of the YTWLs then a set of bench then a set of rows. Repeat, then wrap up with one last set of YTWLs. If it's OHP and pull-down day, same thing, wrap three sets of YTWLs "around" the lifts. At home on a rest day, when I remember I do Boris' complex from the vid, 1 set of 20 each pull, just as shown.

I don't seem to have the same ROM on my Y-pulls that Boris shows in his vid. I think my arms aren't going as far up & back. Maybe a common problem for desk jockeys and programmers?

Dumb question:

It's prehab. Uh, how will I know if it's doing anything? If I just don't get shoulder problems, even as my lifts eventually start getting heavy? Or will I feel it? Notice increased ROM or something?

I mean, it's fine if I never "notice" anything from these. I also don't mind paying car insurance; I certainly don't mind spending a minute between heavy lifts doing a simple preventative maintenance drill, if it gives me a ~25% better chance of not fucking up my shoulders eventually. I just wonder if you guys notice anything when you do these consistently.

Boris

Post by Boris » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:07 pm

I feel like my posture and scap mobility is significantly improved when I'm doing these regularly.

I don't have many shoulder issues as long as I keep them up.

I can't really quantify much with these though.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:29 pm

JimZipCode wrote:It's prehab. Uh, how will I know if it's doing anything? If I just don't get shoulder problems, even as my lifts eventually start getting heavy? Or will I feel it? Notice increased ROM or something?.
Speaking only from my own experience, I don't think you will know if it's doing anything for quite a while (2-6 weeks). Like most exercise selction/rehab/prehab routines, it can take a good while for there to be noticeable changes. Which is the main reason i think most people quit going to PT.

Even a change as profound as supplementing with anabolics takes weeks in some people to manifest. Which is why you need to be patient and a "student of your own body"...In general, when things are working well on the prehab front, after a couple weeks, I will notice very slight changes, a sense of well being doing a movement, slightly more consistent practice and repeatable patterns.

It can be very sketchy to draw a causal link but over time, you should notice a slightly better and improving ROM in whatever you're working and greater fluidity of movements that are using the muscle groups you're retraining....then suddenly and exercise you formerly would get dinged on doesn't hurt at all and you are making steady progress. It's this way with all things for me. Slow improvement that after a couple month becomes perceptible and repeatable.

terra

Post by terra » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:51 am

They're good.

Probably better to run through a round or two of light YTWL before you do the shoulder supersets, kind of like an activation/warm-up drill. Then do the bulk of your prehab work separate to the main sets. When you can focus on ROM, movement/symmetry, activation etc. By doing it this way you're not fatiguing the stabilising muscles your shoulders might be relying on as your super sets get heavy. Add some scap pushups and scap pull-ups to to the YTWLs to work though your new ROM in a (lightly) loaded manner.

YTWL are even great for desk workers. Stand up every hour and run through them a couple of rounds with a band or just slowly without resistance, focusing on end range contraction.

Play around with various angles, extension of thorax, different amounts of inhalation/expansion and flaring of the scaps.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:24 pm

Pulled the trigger on a shoulderrok. I think it's doing something, but fuck, my skill level is all over the place with this, especially using Duffin's cues...one set will be awesome, then going the other way feels fucked up and tight, then the second set the first way feels fucked up, but the second set the other way, feels pretty good.

It does seem to warm the shoulders up from the inside out though.

So far I like it.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:38 pm

A few years ago DT wrote about he was using KBs for general upper body prehab/rehab, and specifically said he didn't like cleaning them due to his size, so he just snatched them and did his presses of the top of the snatch.

Fast forward to my hip replacement rehab. Working around some issues but needed a whole lot more warmup than K Starr stuff and Hartzell Band work, which i do also.

I like get ups, sort of, but not ready to do them yet and done in conjunction with arm bars like i do they are not helpful for me before benching. At all.

So i played around and have come up with warmup of goblet squats (full rom based on DJ's experience-but doubt i will ever deep squat again with a large load), two hand KB swings, KB snatches that are lowered slowly through the press ROM, step ups, one leg DLs, and pulls to face. These were picked because i could target specific things and feel the feedback loop myself. And i feel great benching and pulling afterward.

Boris

Post by Boris » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:05 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Pulled the trigger on a shoulderrok. I think it's doing something, but fuck, my skill level is all over the place with this, especially using Duffin's cues...one set will be awesome, then going the other way feels fucked up and tight, then the second set the first way feels fucked up, but the second set the other way, feels pretty good.

So far I like it.
I've always been intrigued by club bells and the like, but just never got around to them. Do you think it's worth it vs. for example, doing halos w. a kb, or swinging a light sandbag around your head (like one of those Bulgarian goat bags or whatever), or using a light loadable db, etc?

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:13 pm

Boris wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Pulled the trigger on a shoulderrok. I think it's doing something, but fuck, my skill level is all over the place with this, especially using Duffin's cues...one set will be awesome, then going the other way feels fucked up and tight, then the second set the first way feels fucked up, but the second set the other way, feels pretty good.

So far I like it.
I've always been intrigued by club bells and the like, but just never got around to them. Do you think it's worth it vs. for example, doing halos w. a kb, or swinging a light sandbag around your head (like one of those Bulgarian goat bags or whatever), or using a light loadable db, etc?

I use a ghetto clubbell to warm up for everything. It's certainly worth the 12 bux.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:15 pm

I have GOT to make or buy a clubbell. I keep saying it but I really need to get on it and unfuck my shoulders and elbows.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Boris wrote:

So far I like it.

I use a ghetto clubbell to warm up for everything. It's certainly worth the 12 bux.

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:21 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:I use a ghetto clubbell to warm up for everything. It's certainly worth the 12 bux.

To make the mace, I took that, got a much longer handle (maybe 36 inches- I'd have to look) and then used a shorter pipe for the thick part to load the plates on so they wouldn't move so much. Works well.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:03 pm

You can very easily get a similar feeling. All you have to do is to make the mace about 48" long then watch a few of Duffin's videos (like with Spoto) and see how he is cuing all the core shit.

terra

Post by terra » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:04 am

Single arm Kettlebell snatch followed by an overhead squat using a light to light/medium load and a slow cruisey tempo are great prehab for shoulders/spine/hips/knees/arches.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson