Podcast with Joel Jamieson

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Podcast with Joel Jamieson

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:27 pm

Once this got going, it was surprisingly good. It clarified how and when to use some of the more obscure energy system methods...cardiac power and aerobic plyometrics.

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blo ... amieson-2/

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: Podcast with Joel Jamieson

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:22 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Once this got going, it was surprisingly good. It clarified how and when to use some of the more obscure energy system methods...cardiac power and aerobic plyometrics.

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blo ... amieson-2/

A good week for podcasts.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:53 pm

I listened to this the other day. So damn good and yet so damn simple.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

bubber
PFC

Post by bubber » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:09 am

How about a brief summary for those of us who don't have an hour to listen.

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:46 pm

bubber wrote:How about a brief summary for those of us who don't have an hour to listen.
The concept of a podcast is good but in reality I'd much rather get information by reading - podcasts simply take way too much time.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:51 pm

It's a 47 minute podcast and Joel probably only talks 30 minutes of it. Just go to his website and read he's pushing new material that he's selling.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:53 pm

climber511 wrote:
bubber wrote:How about a brief summary for those of us who don't have an hour to listen.
podcasts simply take way too much time.
That's ridiculous. Do you never drive or have to clean your house or work in the yard?

Koko, Beware
Gunny

Post by Koko, Beware » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:53 pm

Jamieson can't lose on podcasts--all he has to do is say "this is about the perfect duration for the LSD work you need to be doing" Looking forward to this one.
In the mill, getting down.
-Kotto

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:12 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
climber511 wrote:
That's ridiculous. Do you never drive or have to clean your house or work in the yard?
I live in totally disconnected world except for this desktop computer. I don't listen to anything in my car - I just drive - and not much of that on a daily basis. I have no way to listen to anything either in the car - in the yard - and the damn sweeper makes too much noise to hear anything when I'm doing the house cleaning LOL. There are 3 things electronic here - the TV - this computer - and that damn sweeper :). Sorry I guess the microwave and fridge are electric too. Silence is a good thing to me.

I'm pretty "unplugged".
I did just get an I Pad but haven' learned how to do much on it yet.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:20 pm

climber511 wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
climber511 wrote:
I live in totally disconnected world except for this desktop computer. I don't listen to anything in my car - I just drive - and not much of that on a daily basis. I have no way to listen to anything either in the car - in the yard - and the damn sweeper makes too much noise to hear anything when I'm doing the house cleaning LOL. There are 3 things electronic here - the TV - this computer - and that damn sweeper :). Sorry I guess the microwave and fridge are electric too. Silence is a good thing to me.

I'm pretty "unplugged".
I did just get an I Pad but haven' learned how to do much on it yet.
Well....there you go. I'm literally the opposite in every respect. I have gobs of time for Podcasts and I'm probably on point 16hrs a day with job 1, training, job 2, correspondence etc. A 3 hour drive listening to a podcast is about the most relaxing thing I can imagine.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:30 am

I forgets climber is way out in the boondocks. Lucky cuss.

bubber
PFC

Post by bubber » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:40 am

So you'd rather argue about spending time listening to hour long (sorry, 47 minute) podcasts than actually informing those who are not inclined to do so?

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:36 pm

I totally get it. I wouldn't listen if I had to sit in front of a computer to do so. Cars, walks, menial tasks, earbuds

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:31 pm

OK I'm listening to it. Skipped through the airplane stuff. I liked the rest of it quite a bit - thanks for "making" me listen to it. I really do value you alls opinion - well some of the time :).

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:21 am

bubber wrote:So you'd rather argue about spending time listening to hour long (sorry, 47 minute) podcasts than actually informing those who are not inclined to do so?
Absolutely. Ferreting out mental weakness is a hobby. You're literally dripping with it.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:01 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I totally get it. I wouldn't listen if I had to sit in front of a computer to do so. Cars, walks, menial tasks, earbuds
Same here. I can't listen to most podcasts while driving though. Menial tasks-- anything interesting will do.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:42 pm

Surprisingly good. He is right a helo is a lot more challenging than a fixed wing plane. He is also right that you need to work the skill more than anything else. strength and conditioning are adjuncts to sport skill. Also,like how he moves away from the knocking the dick in the dirt theory of conditioning. best was the plyo thing. Plyos are not for conditoning so I wanted to hear his answer. I really liked his take on ankle and foot /hammy conditioning being the best outcome of this method wrt to the transition to the inseason demand on athletes.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:07 am

Maybe because I can read the original of Seluyanov's "The Heart is not a Machine" I am not impressed with this podcast, mostly because it gives you the wrong idea about the his work.

First of all, Seluyanov is all about training large volumes at HR 120-130/min, which corresponds with the maximal stroke volume. His estimates that to increase the volume of the heart by 50 - 60% you have to train 2 hours twice a day at least 3 -4 times per week. The use of anabolic steroids is mentioned exactly in connection with this kind of training, not maxHR intervals.

But there is much more than that in his work - testing of anaerobic thresholds (in case of cross country skiers both arms and legs), maximal aerobic power, estimation of the maximal potential oxygen consumption (using measured total muscle mass) and then building training sessions tailored to an individual based on these parameters.

Intervals by Seluyanov are very short: 3 -5 seconds of maximal effort (!) and 50 seconds rest to avoid the accumulation of lactic acid, at the same time transitioning glycolytic muscle fibres into oxidative ones. HR stays within 120-150/min. Long climbs on the bicycle or hill running is another modality to do that, both at low intensity and moderate HRs. However they are more challenging and, unlike short intervals that can be done 4-5 times a week, should be used sparingly.

There is more, of course - "Heart is not a Machine" is 37 pages long. But it is rather aa system of goal oriented training that makes Seluyanov's work so valuable. It didn't come through the podcast this way. For those willing to suffer through Google Translate the link to the full text in Russian: http://www.bike4u.ru/uploading/serdtze.pdf I personally couldn't find an English version of this text. I did a very abbreviated cover of Seluyanov on my blog years ago - http://girevoysportafter40.blogspot.com ... chine.html

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:44 am

Sangoma wrote:Maybe because I can read the original of Seluyanov's "The Heart is not a Machine" I am not impressed with this podcast, mostly because it gives you the wrong idea about the his work.

First of all, Seluyanov is all about training large volumes at HR 120-130/min, which corresponds with the maximal stroke volume. His estimates that to increase the volume of the heart by 50 - 60% you have to train 2 hours twice a day at least 3 -4 times per week. The use of anabolic steroids is mentioned exactly in connection with this kind of training, not maxHR intervals.

But there is much more than that in his work - testing of anaerobic thresholds (in case of cross country skiers both arms and legs), maximal aerobic power, estimation of the maximal potential oxygen consumption (using measured total muscle mass) and then building training sessions tailored to an individual based on these parameters.

Intervals by Seluyanov are very short: 3 -5 seconds of maximal effort (!) and 50 seconds rest to avoid the accumulation of lactic acid, at the same time transitioning glycolytic muscle fibres into oxidative ones. HR stays within 120-150/min. Long climbs on the bicycle or hill running is another modality to do that, both at low intensity and moderate HRs. However they are more challenging and, unlike short intervals that can be done 4-5 times a week, should be used sparingly.

There is more, of course - "Heart is not a Machine" is 37 pages long. But it is rather aa system of goal oriented training that makes Seluyanov's work so valuable. It didn't come through the podcast this way. For those willing to suffer through Google Translate the link to the full text in Russian: http://www.bike4u.ru/uploading/serdtze.pdf I personally couldn't find an English version of this text. I did a very abbreviated cover of Seluyanov on my blog years ago - http://girevoysportafter40.blogspot.com ... chine.html
If I am alone at work today I`ll check those links.Can`t remember if I read your blog post about that Before or not.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:45 am

I remember was trying to read something from Seluyanov (in Russian), but could not understand anything :)

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:59 am

Wild Bill wrote:I remember was trying to read something from Seluyanov (in Russian), but could not understand anything :)
Thanks for the comments Bill. The podcast was pretty narrow so I'm not surprised you're not as impressed as you would be by the book.... but I don't think he's intending to give a complete overview of the book... he's written a few of his own and is probably one of the best minds in SC as it relates to MMA