Ideas for Minimal Equipment Training Routine - Heavy Kettlebell & TRX...

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

terra

Ideas for Minimal Equipment Training Routine - Heavy Kettlebell & TRX...

Post by terra » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:45 am

Doing a bit of work on a farm for 2 weeks over xmas. Only a few hours work a day, nothing too intense - rebuilding cattle yard, fence repairs etc. Otherwise, lots of good rest, good food, clean air and happy times.

Going to take the opportunity for some focused training whilst there.
Will have my road bicycle and a local beach for ocean swims, but also bringing a single 12-40kg adjustable pro kettlebell and a TRX for resistance work.

The farm work, cycling and swimming will cover general fitness and conditioning.
Please share your ideas for creating a good strength/hypertrophy routine using 1 (relatively) heavy kettlebell and a TRX unit. (i'm 62kg so 40kg k'bell is heavy for me)...

Heavy swings, sets of 10 on the minute (Andy Bolton)?
Weighted chinups with heavy clean & pushpress ladders (ETK style)?
"Armouring Complex" (Dan John)?
Superset Heavy snatches with TRX dips?
Any good torso/core routines or exercise suggestions for TRX?

Goal: General strength/size and preparing foundation for a new year of BJJ and cycling etc...

Thanks in advance for any helpful input.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Re: Ideas for Minimal Equipment Training Routine - Heavy Kettlebell & TRX...

Post by aussie luke » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:07 am

10 swings, 10 TRX push-ups, 10 TRX rows
10 swings, 9 THX push-ups, 9 TRX rows
10,8,8 etc

5 x 2,3,5 one arm press / superset chins too if you want

Heavy one arm long cycle

Rig up Trx and kettlebell like a sled and drag it around and shit

Fuck around with kettlebell juggling

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:50 pm

Here's a super great idea and it is perfect for where you're at. Take one of the calves that's on the farm--if there isn't one then go get one. Every day go pick the calf up and put it on your shoulders and walk around with it for 10-15 minutes. Do this everyday for 3 years. Soon if everything goes according to plan you'll be walking around with a full grown cow on your shoulders. How fucking cool would that be? And you'll experience a number of WTH effects over time. I read about this in school. Some ancient guy from Greece, I think his name was Thor or Zeus did it and his bench went way up. Don't do anything weird with the calf though.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:57 pm

Shapecharge wrote:Here's a super great idea and it is perfect for where you're at. Take one of the calves that's on the farm--if there isn't one then go get one. Every day go pick the calf up and put it on your shoulders and walk around with it for 10-15 minutes. Do this everyday for 3 years. Soon if everything goes according to plan you'll be walking around with a full grown cow on your shoulders. How fucking cool would that be? And you'll experience a number of WTH effects over time. I read about this in school. Some ancient guy from Greece, I think his name was Thor or Zeus did it and his bench went way up. Don't do anything weird with the calf though.
Would it be ghey if the calf grew up to be a bull?
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:10 pm

Put the KB, the TRX, and the pullup bar in one place you walk by a lot on the farm. As you go by stop every time and do 3 pullups, a clean and press x2, then a couple one KB front squats. Alternate sides every visit. Throw some swings or KB high pulls in. Goal is to get a lot of volume in by doing lots of easy sets throughout the day. Sunday is a no lift day.

HUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:24 pm

Sounds like you got a good hand on what you want to do Terra. Enjoy the vacation!

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:50 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:Put the KB, the TRX, and the pullup bar in one place you walk by a lot on the farm. As you go by stop every time and do 3 pullups, a clean and press x2, then a couple one KB front squats. Alternate sides every visit. Throw some swings or KB high pulls in. Goal is to get a lot of volume in by doing lots of easy sets throughout the day. Sunday is a no lift day.

HUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
GTG style is great for settings like this. Definitely the way I would go.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:06 pm

- 2 cleans + 1 push press + 3 front squats + 4 pull ups. Done as a slow circuit for 20 minutes.

- 8 cleans + 30 yard farmer's walk + 8 front squats + 30 yard rack carry. Times eight.

- Leave your KB on the porch's floor for two entire weeks and enjoy your fucking Xmas.

terra

Post by terra » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:29 pm

Thanks for your input.

PL54/Dunn,
GTG is a really good idea, thanks for the reminder. I was wondering how to get a lot of training in but not f%ck myself for the farm duties and cycling. Multiple mini-sessions throughout the day would really suit, and I can set-up the TRX and KB between the barn and house.

Luke,
It is a great opportunity to do some of sled work, didn't think of that. I could rig up a sled from materials on the farm. There are long uphills out in the paddocks and the dirt driveway is a good half mile incline... However, that type of workload will be incidental with the farm work, so we will see how it goes.

Subclaw,
Thanks. Using the heavy KB in complex's, seems to be the way to go.

...The cattle are now a big for carrying around Milo style.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:05 pm

"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Boris

Post by Boris » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:34 pm

If you need anymore advice, mine would be to set aside 15-30 minutes a day (for warm-up + training) and do a EDT pairing like:
pull-ups or chins & push-ups/press
SQ & pull-ups or chins
TRX Rows & KB Snatch or Press or Push-Ups
TRX Rows & TRX mountain climbers

terra

Post by terra » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:43 am

Thanks Boris. With almost all of my training I try to include antagonist/shunting pairings of exercises, and usually try to work to a timer.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

terra

Post by terra » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:43 am

Postscript on how this turned out...

We're having a bloody hot summer down here, over the two weeks we had multiple days around 40 degrees C (105 deg F) and a couple of days at 42 (108 deg F) and sunny. So there were days where we'd do a little work in the morning then NOTHING until evening except jump in the dams or head down to the beach.

However, with regards to training. I ended up taking a pair of thick handled 24kg kettlebells. THese along with the TRX and another 12kg of weights made for a little GTG circuit:

KB complex of 2 double KB cleans, 3 double KB clean and push press, 3 front squat.
then,
5 weighted chins on TRX, with 15kg added.
then,
12 bodyweight pushups.

I would do this routine somewhere between 5 and 7 times a day, in between work etc on the cooler days.
That plus a bit of ocean swimming, a few 40km cycles over hills and a smattering of daily general farm labour.

It wasn't a huge success.
Those two weeks just weren't good for (outdoor) training and to be honest the loads used were nothing I wouldn't do in a normal routine for multiple sets, when i'm up to speed.

But that was the hidden beauty in it I suppose...
I WASN'T up to speed at the time, and I did feel better for doing them. Plus the traps/shoulders did show a (very) little change for the better.

Performed consistently 7+ times a day at a suitably tough GTG load and low reps*, this is a style of training that can work.
I have considered a host of paired heavy exercises that I can use for this type of training. I'm even considering if this approach can be used to maintain certain max strength levels whilst focusing on other training goals.

*The reps I used were bumped up from Dan John's 'Armouring' recommendation due to the 24kg KBs not being heavy enough 28's would have been better.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:42 am

Terra, take a look at this: https://philmaffetone.com/slow-weights/

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:18 pm

You are way better off doing what you did. Getting away is often required by real life, not just for our physical or mental approach.

Really well done.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

terra

Post by terra » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:08 am

Thanks PL54.

Thanks Subclaw, the Maffetone link doesn't work but google led to a discussion on Dave Drapers site. The comments indicate it to be a LOT like what I was doing, and also like the 'mini sessions' I planned in the future. The mini sessions were just 2 exercises supersetted with heavy/testing loads.

...Although, This whole strategy was to enable training around the exhaustion of BJJ (and the all too often injuries that occur). I'm now slowly convincing myself to drop BJJ for about 3 months and focus on a good strength/condition base for BJJ, as mentioned in the 'unmotivated' thread, and actually see some progress again.

BTW regarding Maff...
I like the theory behind Maffetone's Heartrate stuff, it makes sense, but personally it's becoming a bit of a thorn in my side...
My missus has been following it for some time with her triathlon training. We do our training separately, but once a week try to get out together for a 30-50km morning cycle.

I don't mind treating our cycle as a recovery ride, but man she is farrrking slow keeping to the Maffetone HR protocol, and even slower on any hill.

She can ride at a consistent pace for longer rides, and the HR monitoring indicates it IS providing a good base, but to be honest I don't think its making her faster/stronger now. I think the Maffetone thing needs a sunset clause. In the same way eating strict raw vegan for a week every so often can actually be a really good thing, but doing it exclusively forever might become a limiting 'ism'...

Maffetone IS good for a foundation, but a good foundation is there to build higher levels upon.
Ralph Waldo Emerson