Any alternative to buying ab "pavelizer"?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Comanch09
Corporal

Any alternative to buying ab "pavelizer"?

Post by Comanch09 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:41 am

So, I want to do a good ab exercise and heard the "Pavelizer" was actually a good tool. I know, it's just a tool to do janda sit up's properly without someone else pulling on your calves. And it does do what it says effectively.

However, I think its pretty crazy to pay $97+shipping for what equates to a couple of pads put around steel tubing that is at an angle. If it was closer to $20-$30, I would be willing to pay for it.

But, I still think it looks like a good tool instead of having to bug someone to pull on the back of my calves.

Does anyone have any good ways of getting a "pavelizer" without buying on? I don't weld, so I am not aware of how to make it myself.

Any alternatives to achieve the same thing? Anyone made one themselves without welding?

Thanks for any information.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Any alternative to buying ab "pavelizer"?

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:08 am

This is an idea that has not held up over time. IMO consider alternative options.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:06 am

Bands around a rack/hook/door handle maybe?

I've found abmats are actually pretty good too.

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:15 pm

Good ab workout = $15 Ab Wheel. But really bands or anything that allows you to "pull" with your lower legs is the same thing as the $97 model from Pavel.

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:56 pm

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:15 pm

Ab Mat. Attach bands instead of using a barbell plate for full range crunch. Possibly anchor the feet around a dumbbell so you don't slide. When you get stronger, increase the strength of the bands.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:49 pm

are gloves required?
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:19 pm

i buy very little new equipment. I bought the Elite Bosu Ball. Do only abs on it. As hard a contraction as i have felt in my abs since my wedding night. Or that Camping Trip with Shape...

https://www.uniquefit1.com/bosu-elite.h ... AiWq8P8HAQ

Disclaimer: It did not make me a better athlete. But it did help me shake off the grogginess and nausea after the Camping trip.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:28 am

powerlifter54 wrote:i buy very little new equipment. I bought the Elite Bosu Ball. Do only abs on it. As hard a contraction as i have felt in my abs since my wedding night. Or that Camping Trip with Shape...

Disclaimer: It did not make me a better athlete. But it did help me shake off the grogginess and nausea after the Camping trip.

PL54-What ab exercises do you do on the BOSU ? TIA

Comanch09
Corporal

Post by Comanch09 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:48 am

Grandpa's Spells wrote:This is an idea that has not held up over time. IMO consider alternative options.
Why not, this is essentially a Janda situp, which I thought were good? Yes, I realize that Pavelizer is expensive and overpriced, but it does what it says it does. It is a replacement to someone pulling on the back of ones calf that can be controlled by plate weights.

Comanch09
Corporal

Post by Comanch09 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:52 am

powerlifter54 wrote:i buy very little new equipment. I bought the Elite Bosu Ball. Do only abs on it. As hard a contraction as i have felt in my abs since my wedding night. Or that Camping Trip with Shape...

Hey PL54, may I ask what exercises you recommend with that thing? What is special about it? I mean, for the price, shouldn't I just go get a pavelizer instead?

Just curious, I remember you are pretty knowledgeable on lifting, that is why I ask. Thanks for any information.

Comanch09
Corporal

Post by Comanch09 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:57 am

climber511 wrote:Good ab workout = $15 Ab Wheel. But really bands or anything that allows you to "pull" with your lower legs is the same thing as the $97 model from Pavel.
Yeah, I have an ab wheel and use it. Don't know if I'm really using it "properly" though, or if there is an amount of sets/reps I should be aiming for.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:21 am

Comanch09 wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:This is an idea that has not held up over time. IMO consider alternative options.
Why not, this is essentially a Janda situp, which I thought were good? Yes, I realize that Pavelizer is expensive and overpriced, but it does what it says it does. It is a replacement to someone pulling on the back of ones calf that can be controlled by plate weights.
Usually when somebody has an idea that confers a meaningful advantage, other companies "me too" it. That hasn't happened with Janda devices. That leads me to think it may be a decent idea that is overhyped, and therefore not worth investing in expensive, bulky, single-purpose equipment.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:19 am

Cayenne wrote:

PL54-What ab exercises do you do on the BOSU ? TIA
i do a reverse crunch with my low back on the Bosu and my feet flat on the floor. It is very similar to the Hip Thruster, but the point is to flex the pubic bone toward the sternum. The only thing i have ever done that i feel in my lower abs. Not an anatomical expert but i know a little about the abdominal musculature. And i understand the argument that the lower ab contraction i am talking about is theoretically impossible to isolate. Well i feel it as the curl the pelvis upward and keep the upper abs in isometric contraction. Pretty much in 10-25 reps, depending on how diligent i have been training, my abs go from unhappy to cramping.
YMMV. Bottom line is i dropped almost 180 bucks to own this Bosu. But like anything don't just take my word for it, try it on a Bosu in your gym.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:21 am

Comanch09 wrote:

Hey PL54, may I ask what exercises you recommend with that thing? What is special about it? I mean, for the price, shouldn't I just go get a pavelizer instead?

Just curious, I remember you are pretty knowledgeable on lifting, that is why I ask. Thanks for any information.
Check out my answer to Cayenne. Good luck!

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:39 pm

Thanks for the reply Jack. Any chance you could link to a video that demonstrates how you perform this movement? (For the "I DO click links" crowd please).

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:48 pm

Cayenne wrote:Thanks for the reply Jack. Any chance you could link to a video that demonstrates how you perform this movement? (For the "I DO click links" crowd please).

I will try looking around. I cannot subject any of you to a video of me doing this during the Holidays!

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:05 pm

If you're fully clothed, I don't think it should be a problem :-)

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:15 am

Exactly how fat ARE you, OP??
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"