Goals for 2017

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Re: Goals for 2017

Post by seeahill » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:52 pm

Interesting thread. Thanks all.

2016 was a good year. I got control of my weight and lost 30 pounds, which was my goal. Intermittent fasting works for me, makes me feel more alert and focused. I am still on a modified version (1000 calories on fast days rather than 600.)

I weigh 218 today. 215 is a pretty good walking around weight for me, but I think I'll take it down under 200 to see how that feels.

I need to work on my balance. I have some ideas, but one goal was suggested here: walk a quarter mile on a railroad track. (Happily, there's several miles worth of abandoned track just out of town.)

I will continue my walking program, 5 miles a day, every day. I'm registered for a half marathon in June.

I want to do more elevation in my walking. The steep shit is getting more difficult for me these days. Goal: climb Mt. Livingston, as I have done once every year for decades. It's a 9,700 foot walkup, no big deal, but it gets harder every year.

I need to get back on the GMB Elements program for balance, strength and play time.

Other goals:
Clean my goddamn office. There are three years of half finished projects, letters that need to be written, articles and research that need to be filed. It's hard to work amidst the clutter and guilt of half a dozen uncompleted projects.

Improve my cooking. I will work my way through Mark Bittman's the Basics. Least "fussy" cookbook I have.

Spend more time at my favorite bar, socializing with my friends. Really. I'm getting to be a hermit in my old age and that's not a good thing.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:34 pm

Point well taken. I'll just say that I wouldn't mind dropping five pounds and I would be happy regardless of my bf% so long as I can have my six pack and v-taper at the bottom of my abs and still ride 4 hours.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Sangoma wrote:Re calipers - they are not completely accurate, but who needs absolute precision anyway. Some even say one point measurement is good enough - to the side of the umbilicus.

As far as getting Shaf ripped - I would strongly advise to use a bodybuilding coach for that purpose. A proper one, not one of those who just did 3 months fitness certificate. The trick is to find the way to restrict calories without going mad because of hunger.

That's the real bit of info here. I'm talking from the perspective of having had Dexa/Underwater and Calipers and having seen some folks who were world calss do the same. Very very few people are under 9% for real. 10 looks extremely lean on most people. I had veins on my abs showing at 12% measured by the underwater method. Folks like Climber who have thyroid conditions are most likely hovering at 10 or below with no effort. Most athletes should be happy at 10-12, less than that is for very short periods of time. There are of course outliers but my point is this. If in your quest to get lean, you keep dropping fat not until you see a certain number but you see a performance drop off, that's the place you need to stop. Frankie is fairly lean as is, and holds there easily. Dropping 10 or so pounds will probably tell him all he needs to know. Having been 142 as an endurance athlete adult and 242 as a strength athlete, i can say for me, both were very uncomfortable and very very difficult to maintain.

Short version, look to performance or look at the mirror but don;t chase BF numbers 99% of people lie and 99.999% of all tests done still have a significant margin of error.

This is a cyclist at 7-8%.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:37 pm

How many beers a week do you have Mick?
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:48 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote:have my six pack and v-taper at the bottom of my abs and still ride 4 hours.

Perfectly restated goal.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:50 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:have my six pack and v-taper at the bottom of my abs and still ride 4 hours.

Perfectly restated goal.
Just being honest.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:51 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:

Perfectly restated goal.
Just being honest.

That's what I was getting after. It's all vanity on some level. Best just be direct about it.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:

Perfectly restated goal.
Just being honest.

That's what I was getting after. It's all vanity on some level. Best just be direct about it.
Yep.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:56 am

Wild Bill wrote:1. Handstand
2. Muscleup on rings
First part is done.

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:50 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
Wild Bill wrote:1. Handstand
2. Muscleup on rings
First part is done.
Nice job!
After watching your gymnastics progress, I bought the gmb P1 series

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:59 pm

Thanks! :)

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:28 pm

So, how'd everybody do?
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:29 pm

My goal was to do the same shit. Keeping my training, diet and non-gym activities the same.

Diet got more relaxed, but didn't suffer from it.

I was all over the place with my training. I like my current program, but I usually can't make it a week without adding or removing something.

Surfed a ton, slacked on yoga, did okay on meditating.

Surfing A
Meditating C
Yoga D-
Diet A
Gym B
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!" - Edna St. Vincent Millay

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:57 pm

syaigh wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:11 pm
BLAH BLAH BLAH . . . get over plantar fasciitis.
Blah blah blah lose weight.
Blah blah blah keep running.
Blah throw less often.
Blah blah have more fun
Well, i ended up coaching the cross country team again so ended up doing some moderate running part of the year. I started riding horses again = more fun. I did not really lose any weight so that still needs to be a focus although I must say I didn't really try. I cut my throwing back to once a week and ended up doing really well at the two games I competed in.

I'm starting off this year with a goal to cut down to about 140 (at 170 right now). That will require some attention to detail and self-control. I honestly don't know if I will throw this year. My kids are all or about to become teenagers and their activities and personal needs have outpaced my schedule considerably.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:16 pm

Exec summary: I crushed early, sagged in the second half, started to recover a bit at the end.

Some of the goals created a bit of logistical turmoil in our lives, and I let that knock the workout stuff off the schedule. Took a long time to reassert.

That said: maybe I'm not where I coulda/shoulda gotten to, but there's no doubt that I am stronger and more "fit" and more active than I was at this time last year. I think I laid a good base. And lifting and Judo are now firmly part of my weekly routine – part of the family's weekly routine. On Judo days my wife watches the boy and I go; on lifting days I take him and he plays in the Kidspace.

Detailed look:
(These are all from last Jan 1 / Jan 2.)

JimZipCode wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:30 am
• Be a decent husband, dad & stepdad. Keep my job.
Yes! Still employed, still married, the kids still talk to me.
Got busier and got more visibility at work in the last quarter of the year. That's a good thing, and it's poised to continue into the first half of this year.

JimZipCode wrote:
• Finish the kitchen, and act on the buying thing.
Yes! We remodeled the kitchen and the middle bathroom in Q1 last year (paid a shit-ton of money), then bought a new house in July and sold the old townhouse in Sept. Now we live in a SFH with a garage on a cul-de-sac, in the same neighborhood with all our friends. That's been a distant goal for us for years; now we're there. It's nice.

JimZipCode wrote:
• Stay on top of overall health with doc & gastro doc & dentist etc etc. Stay compliant with any meds.
Maybe 80%? Followed thru on gastro doc's requirements, but did not see a dentist. Med compliance was spotty, I wound up buying one of those pill dispensers that is labeled with the days of the week. Need more solid habits here.

JimZipCode wrote:
• Take the dog to the park for a walk more often. Good for the dog, and good for me too.
...at least 3x per month, when the weather gets warmer. Preferably more like 8-12x. And keep going some when the weather gets cold again, even if down to 1x in the cold months.
Fail.

JimZipCode wrote:
• Keep lifting. If 3x per week gets too challenging, then drop to 2x, but keep lifting.
Incomplete.

Did great until our offer on the house got accepted. Then everything went to hell while we finished packing up to move, unpacked, prepped the old house for sale, etc etc. Only started to reassert some habits here at the end of the year.

My gains were tremendous, if not in terms of strength then in mobility and energy and feeling of wellbeing etc. It will be important to make this less "fragile" to outside disruptions (job etc). Though to be fair, there are few things more disruptive than moving. Right now I like 2x per week in conjunction with Judo 2x per week, that seems to balance nicely. Pick up a 3rd day of lifting in a week if I know that I'm going to have to miss a Judo class that week.

JimZipCode wrote:
• Keep doing something for cardio at least once a week.
Even if random mix of jog / dog walk / bike ride / tabata on heavy bag / whatever. Do a little something.
Fail.

Maybe Judo class mitigates the failure a little: it constitutes high-intensity cardio, at least when we do randori or grip-fighting or newaza. But basically back to the drawing board here.

JimZipCode wrote:
• Compete in at least one karate intramural tournament. Forms & fighting. Preferably with my new form!
Yes! Did not shame myself, either.

JimZipCode wrote:
• If I get a promotion, and if some guys from the Judo club compete, then join them to compete at least once.
This didn't happen. I did get a promotion, but seems like no one from the club competes. I'll have to look for another avenue for this.

JimZipCode wrote:
• Stretch: Enter a 5k with the wife, and finish it.
No.

Preview of next year:
  • Keep lifting, keep doing Judo.
  • Go to karate camp in August (and take the boy).
  • Take the dog on romps more.
  • Read more books. (Yes, that one is vaguely stated. Keeping it that way.)
  • And: Piano lessons!
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:14 am

JimZipCode wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:16 pm
Now we live in a SFH with a garage on a cul-de-sac, in the same neighborhood with all our friends. That's been a distant goal for us for years; now we're there. It's nice.
That's fucking awesome. Congratulations!
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!" - Edna St. Vincent Millay

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:58 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:44 pm
1. No more surgeries.
2. Get back to my bench baseline being my any day anytime baseline.
3. 405+50lbs of chains for 8 on TBDL.
4. 10 trips 106 lb sled 1 min rest periods
5. Under 215lbs.
1. Check. Last of 7 surgeries for eye in December 2016. Hip replacement 7/16. 2016 was a rough year.
2. Check. Kind of. After eye injury 9/15, over 6 months of no activity. Then bodyweight didps and pull-ups and start over. Then hip surgery. Then cleared to lift slowly. Lost a lot but committed to eating less and did ‘t Get fat. er. Base is 275x5, 295x4, 315x3. Full rom. Last warmup in bench before shirt work was always 315x3. Maybe could do that on a good day but using phone books do 275x5 Full, PBS 295x5, 315x5. Will hit 315x3-5 this year.
3. Nope. Pulled “good side” groin doing this. Had to fix a lot of things. Moving forward.
4. Check. And have gone to longer drags. Instead of back and forth now go perimeter of park.
5. Check. Touched 215 once in 2017. Was at 222 Jan 1. 217 this morning after a lot of Mexican food last night.

But in 2017 I got my medical back and am back flying big jets for big bucks. I am squatting and pulling heavier and have almost fixed my weaknesses. Have found some Cardio and Condtioning I can tolerate. And am pursuing the Chub Club 16 week Challenge.
Nest benchmarks are 405x7 squatting, deadlifting 405x5 with chains,and bench 315x5 raw. Under 210.

Mike Mahler interviewed me once for his podcast. He asked about goals. I said if you have to write something down to remind yourself of your goals it isn’t a goal.

I want to be smaller, stronger, and faster. That is written in my head. And here. I wake up with it, live with it and say goodnight to it everyday. So it will happen.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:27 pm

Well...all of this was written before my knee went south and I had to have surgery:
- finish my sailboat I am building in the garage. Have start it first
Not done. Just finally bought the lumber for it (had the plywood).
- do a multi-day kayak trip
No. But did do a fair bit a kayaking.
- next MA belt
No. Had to stop for knee problems, and general arthritis
- continue to stay fully funded until retirement
YES
- more mountain biking!
Less MTBiking. Again, f*** the knee

I did, however, gain an extra 15 LBs due to lack of activity.

Also bought a paddleboard and did much of that.

SAD
Don’t believe everything you think.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:01 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:58 pm
I said if you have to write something down to remind yourself of your goals it isn’t a goal.

I want to be smaller, stronger, and faster. That is written in my head. And here. I wake up with it, live with it and say goodnight to it everyday. So it will happen.
Thisness....cubed.

I smashed the three things I wanted to do last year by keeping them loose, keeping them close and keeping my eye on the practices not just the numbers.

1. Rehab the quad and get back on the platform-

Done. Had a shitty meet and still hit the total I hit at worlds

2. Make Health equal to performance as a goal.-

Done, dropped a weight class, 25 pounds of flubber, put on 5 pounds of meat, fixed bloodwork and BP. Have veins and gristle in areas I hadn't for years. Now I have to get jackets and shirts and have to buy custom quad accommodating pants.

3. Make Endurance a practice as important as strength.

Done, got back on the bike, started rucking in earnest and am now doing 5-12 hours of week of cardio

I have similar tripartite goal structure moving forward but like Jack is saying, it's a desire I wake up with and go to sleep with and so it's not a chase, it's just a groove to run in.