Goals for 2017

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: Goals for 2017

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:46 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Unless you are already 10% without trying
True. It's rare but it happens for sure...not often in the pasty people...but it does happen.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:35 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Cayenne wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:low BF can bite your ass...badly. .
Please elaborate. TIA.
Hormonal crash, immune system failure, chronic infection. It's extremely easy to put yourself in a true overtrained state (not I ran too many miles I gotta take couple weeks off..more like I need an IV and best rest and am on exercise restriction for 8 weeks or more).

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -body-fat/

This a ultra dumbed down explanation. For most people, any bodyfat below about 10 is unsustainable and really shitty for high performance. Athletes with full time support systems can maintain the right balance at very low BF to survive it but Gen Pop people cannot.
Most athletes' BF fluctuates in and out of season. Mind you, most full time athletes are in their twenties. It probably is possible to stay around 10% BF, but it has to be planned and executed with great precision. Most of us lose fat quickly, hence the natural reaction of the body - craving food, feeling tired etc. If you can take full year to get to 10% then staying there will probably be easier. Good luck doing it though - it means running low deficits for prolonged period of time. Very unforgiving - couple of slices of cake, a pack of French fries and couple of beers can annihilate month's worth of effort. I personally cannot envisage myself to have the discipline and the willpower to do it.

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:27 pm

Now I don't assume it's truly accurate but I do a caliper body fat (6 site) at least once a year and have for a long time. And 10 to 12% is very common for me and has been for decades - if not accurate at least it is consistent over time which is what matters to me. I generally have my wife do it but every 4 or 5 years have it done at the hospital (I know a guy there) and get the same results.

I've always been skinny - sickly skinny as a young kid. I don't really have a "diet" and eat whatever I want but "healthy if not clean" - whatever that might mean. I can see veins in calves, forearms, biceps, generally and delts and thighs at times - whatever that might indicate to someone better versed in appearance versus percentage. I think it's a genetic thing (being naturally skinny) for the most part but I have trained daily most of my life, always competed in something, and walked a mail route for 33 years.

I do have a thyroid condition (genetic - whole family has it) and low T that developed (or was discovered) in my early to mid 60s.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:37 pm

A bit chubby as a kid, leaned out a bit for a while for maybe 10 years, then like 15 years a bit chubby as an adult. In my late 40s it's probably unrealistic to thing I'll ever get ripped.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:13 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:A bit chubby as a kid, leaned out a bit for a while for maybe 10 years, then like 15 years a bit chubby as an adult. In my late 40s it's probably unrealistic to thing I'll ever get ripped.
I think you could look more ripped than the calipers would say but you're going to have to sacrifice a lot of strength.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:42 pm

I'm am in complete awareness that I wouldn't see full abs until I approach 200#...that's 74 lbs to lose right now. That's a long, hard, slog that not going to happen accidentally unless my health takes a serious nosedive, and realistically, if I end 2017 under 260 it will be far better than I've done the last 5-6 years.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:43 pm

Re calipers - they are not completely accurate, but who needs absolute precision anyway. Some even say one point measurement is good enough - to the side of the umbilicus.

As far as getting Shaf ripped - I would strongly advise to use a bodybuilding coach for that purpose. A proper one, not one of those who just did 3 months fitness certificate. The trick is to find the way to restrict calories without going mad because of hunger.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:24 am

Steven needs to fast eod until no longer fat.

He has eaten enough.

Spiller
Corporal

Post by Spiller » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:52 am

Sangoma wrote:The trick is to find the way to restrict calories without going mad because of hunger.
This.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:00 am

Sangoma wrote:Re calipers - they are not completely accurate, but who needs absolute precision anyway. Some even say one point measurement is good enough - to the side of the umbilicus.

As far as getting Shaf ripped - I would strongly advise to use a bodybuilding coach for that purpose. A proper one, not one of those who just did 3 months fitness certificate. The trick is to find the way to restrict calories without going mad because of hunger.

That's the real bit of info here. I'm talking from the perspective of having had Dexa/Underwater and Calipers and having seen some folks who were world calss do the same. Very very few people are under 9% for real. 10 looks extremely lean on most people. I had veins on my abs showing at 12% measured by the underwater method. Folks like Climber who have thyroid conditions are most likely hovering at 10 or below with no effort. Most athletes should be happy at 10-12, less than that is for very short periods of time. There are of course outliers but my point is this. If in your quest to get lean, you keep dropping fat not until you see a certain number but you see a performance drop off, that's the place you need to stop. Frankie is fairly lean as is, and holds there easily. Dropping 10 or so pounds will probably tell him all he needs to know. Having been 142 as an endurance athlete adult and 242 as a strength athlete, i can say for me, both were very uncomfortable and very very difficult to maintain.

Short version, look to performance or look at the mirror but don;t chase BF numbers 99% of people lie and 99.999% of all tests done still have a significant margin of error.

This is a cyclist at 7-8%.

"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:09 am

I once got lean enough to where it hurt to walk on bare feet. And it wasn't that lean. Or wasn't that vascular. And I was cold all the time even in 90+ deg heat.

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:10 am

I think shaving all one's hair off is worth a couple percentage points :)

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:25 pm

Spiller wrote:After about 7 years of trying, I'm pretty close to my four following lifetime goals:

100 meter dash: 13.00
200 meter dash: 27.00
400 meter dash: 60.00
110 meter high hurdles: 20.00

Other hurdle distances I'll run and shoot for:
60HH: 11.00
300IH: 50.00
400IH: 75.00

I like to do longer distance running in the off season and am aiming for:
mile: 6:00
2 mile: 14:00
5K: 23:00
10K: 48:00
Steeplechase: 15:00
No competitive Half Marathons this year. The 10K seems to be my sweet spot of anything over a mile.

I'm hoping to do a Decathlon too. 4000 points would be nice.

Lifting goals:
Press: 200
Bench: 300
Squat: 405
DL: 500
Luck to you - I always wanted to do a Decathlon - but that ship has sailed I'm afraid now.

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:46 pm

2017 Goals
Primary goals are all oriented towards climbing and moving better for 2017.

• Bodyweight to 180# - currently 191 to 193# - down from 208# a couple years ago. Goal is to settle in around 183 to 185# over time.
• Eat better – especially night time snacks!
• Keep my A Fib and Blood Pressure under control now. Pretty much outside my control but maybe the healthier I am in a general sense the better this will be as well. Seems like the only time I get high BP is right after a spell of A Fib – seems to last a couple months and then return to normal.
• Complete new 70 by 70 list reflecting new goals over the next 12 months. I have revamped the list to eliminate some of the truly heavy lifts (for me) like hand and thigh and the short steel bending. More bodyweight – rings – and much more climbing. Accomplishing this pretty well takes care of most of the other things I want.
• Eliminate as much of my fairly constant pain as possible.
• Be consistent leading any 5.10 limestone sport route I walk up to when I go to Greece climbing in the fall. Limestone has always been hard for me – none near me to train on.
• Do the least amount of heavy lifting I can get away with and not lose lifting strength beyond certan numbers (not completely set yet).
• Meet my rowing goal numbers. These will be Concept 2 test numbers for different distances. Basically top 10 on the Concept 2 site in 500 – 1000 – and 2000 meters – maybe best 500 period for my age.
• Meet my local strength – endurance numbers relating to climbing (not set yet).
• Hang Board numbers (added weight that will vary by which hold).
• Campus Board Numbers – Campus Medium and small rungs.
• Hold Gripmas again – this will be the next to last one – 2018 will be the last.
• Cut down on my coffee – switch completely to decaf.
• Spend less time on the computer.
• You might notice I have no competition goals this year – been there - done that – and have a drawer full of tee shirts. I need to just feel better and say the hell with all the competitive stuff.

I am usually fairly successful in reaching New Year goals - this years are fairly general compared to past years so we shall see.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:08 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I'm am in complete awareness that I wouldn't see full abs until I approach 200#...that's 74 lbs to lose right now. That's a long, hard, slog that not going to happen accidentally unless my health takes a serious nosedive, and realistically, if I end 2017 under 260 it will be far better than I've done the last 5-6 years.
As long as your bloodwork is okay-ish, I wouldn't worry about that.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:14 pm

climber511 wrote:• Do the least amount of heavy lifting I can get away with and not lose lifting strength beyond certan numbers (not completely set yet).
Have you come up with a plan yet? I'm always interested in trying new (at least for me) ways to be relatively strong without detracting from my performance on the mat.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:45 pm

climber511 wrote: • Eliminate as much of my fairly constant pain as possible.
• Meet my rowing goal numbers. These will be Concept 2 test numbers for different distances. Basically top 10 on the Concept 2 site in 500 – 1000 – and 2000 meters – maybe best 500 period for my age.
curious about where the pain and how you manage it. low back, shoulders, and elbows are an abiding annoyance to me.

are the erg goals new, or have you been in the top 10 for awhile now? i can't recall--are you in your 60s?
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:26 pm

dead man walking wrote:
climber511 wrote: • Eliminate as much of my fairly constant pain as possible.
curious about where the pain and how you manage it. low back, shoulders, and elbows are an abiding annoyance to me.

are the erg goals new, or have you been in the top 10 for awhile now? i can't recall--are you in your 60s?
I am 68 years old
Pain
Neck - arthritis
Back - 7 herniation's top to bottom (5 are from 1964 and do pretty well) and one break - trouble is mostly low - 2 herniated disks (this is the biggie) - some other things going on down there as well.
Shoulders - generally fubared - comes and goes - therapy routine is pretty successful here.
Right elbow - won't straighten or rotate much - a couple old injuries there - low grade ache all the time - doesn't stop me from doing anything. Everything handled with the occasional Tylenol.

Rowing - I don't compete - I just try for my best in the garage unofficially. I have hit the number one spot in the 500 meters the last couple years (not age group but actual age number) and top 3 in the 1000 - not quite as good in the 2000 meters but still top 20.

I have a fairly extensive routine that I call "therapy" that keeps me going pretty well. Generally pain is managed pretty well with occasional flare ups that get fairly intense at times. Round back lifts are real no no's any more.

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:39 pm

SubClaw wrote:
climber511 wrote:• Do the least amount of heavy lifting I can get away with and not lose lifting strength beyond certan numbers (not completely set yet).
Have you come up with a plan yet? I'm always interested in trying new (at least for me) ways to be relatively strong without detracting from my performance on the mat.
Still working on the numbers I want to keep. With a rock climbing focus I'm not sure keeping a 2x+ BW dead lift and squat is necessary for example. In the past I have been able to maintain strength for the most part by occasional short periods of concentration on a target movement. I think that by lowering my body weight I can stay close to the same percentage of BW on things but will have lower numbers - which will hopefully beat me up less. Training will focus more on climbing oriented goals this year but I want to keep certain lifts relatively high (for me). A couple years ago I weighed 208 and dead lifted 420 - if I reach my 180# BW goal I will only need 360# to have 2x BW dead lift - not very strong for a lifter but probably enough for a rock climber nearing 70. I can flesh the plan out more after I actually come up with one :).

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:41 pm

i'm impressed, both the catalogue of problems, but more importantly your various achievements.

i'm now spending regular time on "therapy." any "performance" numbers have fallen way off in the last couple of years.

what's your trick for staying motivated? i find it getting harder to stick with the program.

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:07 pm

dead man walking wrote:i'm impressed, both the catalogue of problems, but more importantly your various achievements.

i'm now spending regular time on "therapy." any "performance" numbers have fallen way off in the last couple of years.

what's your trick for staying motivated? i find it getting harder to stick with the program.
No doubt the question I get most often is how I have stayed motivated all these years. A couple things i guess. The variety of things I do really helps here - I find new goals easier to aspire to going back and forth between all the various things I do at different seasons of my year. But truthfully I have a gift I think. Every morning when I get up I say to myself "I get to workout today" or "I get to climb (or hike or bike or throw etc) today" or whatever I'm getting into. It's always been that way for me - I look forward to each and every workout. I don't think I could stay at it though if I only did one thing and pushed that thing all the time. I don't look at lifting as "the only" goal but as a way to stay ready for whatever is coming up. If I get up and am not excited about something I know I have overdone in some way so I simply do something else for a little while.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:10 pm

that makes sense. thanks.

kreator

Post by kreator » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:12 pm

Training goals only:
- Squat 200kg
- Clean and jerk 140kg
- Improve mobility and flexibility noticeably
- Stick around 75kg bodyweight

Boris

Post by Boris » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:11 pm

Chris McClinch wrote:I built to doing sets of 150 when I was a teenager. From my experience, push-ups respond well to density training with submax sets. If you can do a solid 50, four sets of 30 with gradually decreasing rest periods until you bang it out in one long set should be about right.
Thanks. I will be pushing volume and density as I get closer to the target date. Right now, on days I do push-ups, I just do 100 reps total, usually in 3 or 4 sets of 25-35 (the other day I did 50, 25, 25 just to make sure I could do 50 - it was hard but I was good for probably 10 more).

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:22 pm

climber511 wrote:I can flesh the plan out more after I actually come up with one :).
Let us know when that happens.