Goals for 2017

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Old Mother
Staff Sergeant

Re: Goals for 2017

Post by Old Mother » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:44 pm

I've been looking to lose weight since I was 16. It's still on my list.

CL&J back to 110kg
Sn back to 92kg
DL 500
Press 205
More yoga
eliminate knee back and shoulder pain
take tango lessons

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:09 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Sharing goals is shown to be unhelpful – both in research and in my own practice.
Really! That's unexpected. What does the research say?
That's counter-intuitive, and not the conventional wisdom at all.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:13 am

Houston HG is currently defunkt. Ed Cosner got shafted the last time he held one, which was the last time i threw like sbit

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:30 am

Despite BD's depressing observation about goal sharing, I'll throw something into the pot.

• Be a decent husband, dad & stepdad. Keep my job.

• Finish the kitchen, and act on the buying thing.

• Stay on top of overall health with doc & gastro doc & dentist etc etc. Stay compliant with any meds.
Maybe explore some Old Man Supplementing too? Not sure.

• Take the dog to the park for a walk more often. Good for the dog, and good for me too.
"More often"? I dunno, say at least 3x per month, when the weather gets warmer. Preferably more like 8-12x.
And keep going some when the weather gets cold again, even if down to 1x in the cold months.

• Keep lifting. If 3x per week gets too challenging, then drop to 2x, but keep lifting.

• Keep doing something for cardio at least once a week.
Even if random mix of jog / dog walk / bike ride / tabata on heavy bag / whatever. Do a little something.
Doesn't have to be progressive toward a goal, to still be better for me than sitting on my ass all the time.

• Compete in at least one karate intramural tournament.
Forms & fighting. Preferably with my new form!

• If I get a promotion, and if some guys from the Judo club compete, then join them to compete at least once.
Learn the lesson that competing wants to teach (possibly a harsh lesson, but whatever).

• Stretch: Enter a 5k with the wife, and finish it.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:39 am

-2x week exercise. Most I can reasonably commit to. Might be more.
-Do more pro bono work.
-Keep child alive and clothed.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:24 pm

JimZipCode wrote: Maybe explore some Old Man Supplementing too? Not sure.
nah. just eat well: fish, vegetables, fruit, and nut and seeds. you're not pushing yourself to the point where you need to enrich the peddlars of unproven pills and tonics.

and walk the dog more. that is the pathway to heaven.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

newguy

Post by newguy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:23 pm

JimZipCode wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Sharing goals is shown to be unhelpful – both in research and in my own practice.
Really! That's unexpected. What does the research say?
That's counter-intuitive, and not the conventional wisdom at all.
I've got this goal. Say I want to lose weight. So I go to the office and I announce to everyone, "hey people, I am losing weight in 2017 so you are not going to see me eating anything from the treat table anymore!"

What happens?

I get a lot of positive feedback. People congratulate me. They say I am going to do great. They are proud of me.

This little encouragement actually feeds the ego enough that the initial motivation, the motivation to just stop eating so many sweets, is diminished because it feels like I am already accomplished. My goal is achieved. I am reinforced and happy.

Add to that the focus shifts from the total of my behaviors to just this facet. As long as I do not eat the sweets at the table, the office staff is going to give me good feelings and I am a success. Never mind the chips and dips at home.

Even worse, those people I shared my goal with will tell me how good I am doing and that I've earned a nice piece of cake for Patty's birthday. And there is always a Patty's birthday.

It all has to do with identity, self image, ego, and reinforcement.
"When I was little, my father was famous. He was the greatest samurai in the empire. And he was the Shogun's decapitator. He cut off the heads of a 131 Lords. It was a bad time for the empire."

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:23 pm

newguy wrote:This little encouragement actually feeds the ego enough that the initial motivation ... is diminished because it feels like I am already accomplished. My goal is achieved. I am reinforced and happy.
I get that. But it seems to me the flip side is - my stepdaughter wants to cut down on her caffeine dependence, before she goes back to college. I typically do the grocery shopping, or I'm out running an errand and txt the wife to see if she wants something from Starbux. It's useful that *I* know about stepdaughter's goal, so I can buy caffeine-free Diet Coke instead of regular, or refrain from tempting her with a latte, or whatever.

I'd like to run a 5k with my wife this year. It's useful to mention that to her well in advance.

SOME goal-sharing can be counter-productive, easily. Sure. But some MUST be potentially helpful, seems to me. People can be in a position to help or hinder us. Esp spouses. I'm curious what the research says.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:02 pm

JimZipCode wrote: I typically do the grocery shopping
there's your first problem, right there.

a top priority should be to get the women to do the shopping. that change will give you more energy and time for your important pursuits.

we're here to help.

Spiller
Corporal

Post by Spiller » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:54 pm

After about 7 years of trying, I'm pretty close to my four following lifetime goals:

100 meter dash: 13.00
200 meter dash: 27.00
400 meter dash: 60.00
110 meter high hurdles: 20.00

Other hurdle distances I'll run and shoot for:
60HH: 11.00
300IH: 50.00
400IH: 75.00

I like to do longer distance running in the off season and am aiming for:
mile: 6:00
2 mile: 14:00
5K: 23:00
10K: 48:00
Steeplechase: 15:00
No competitive Half Marathons this year. The 10K seems to be my sweet spot of anything over a mile.

I'm hoping to do a Decathlon too. 4000 points would be nice.

Lifting goals:
Press: 200
Bench: 300
Squat: 405
DL: 500
Last edited by Spiller on Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:14 pm

JimZipCode wrote:
newguy wrote:
I'd like to run a 5k with my wife this year. It's useful to mention that to her well in advance.

SOME goal-sharing can be counter-productive, easily. Sure. But some MUST be potentially helpful, seems to me. People can be in a position to help or hinder us. Esp spouses. I'm curious what the research says.
My husband and I have trained for a couple of events together but what works best for us is to share the goal but do our own training. We did a half marathon this fall and so I put up a training schedule of weekly mileage goals that we kind of roughly stuck to but we rarely ran together. Mainly because he runs faster than I do and I like to listen to podcast while I run. He also likes to suffer near-death experiences by refusing to drink water or take in extra salt when running in 105 degree heat. Its awesome watching your spouse involuntarily contracting into the fetal position because he thinks gatorade will make him fat. Luckily, it only took three times before realizing that he too was mortal. And that sweat contains a lot of salt. You'd think they'd have taught that in medical school. That's another reason why training separately is good, these ideological differences can cause a bit of disharmony. And questions like this, "why are you trying to die?"
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:19 pm

Since yoga popped up in this thread a few times, FWIW David Swenson is running a 30% off sale. Moar yoga is one of my goals this year, and his 'Short Forms' DVD and 'Ashtanga Yoga practice manual' are both excellent. https://www.ashtanga.net/collections/th ... er-package
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:36 pm

Turdacious wrote:Since yoga popped up in this thread a few times, FWIW David Swenson is running a 30% off sale. Moar yoga is one of my goals this year, and his 'Short Forms' DVD and 'Ashtanga Yoga practice manual' are both excellent. https://www.ashtanga.net/collections/th ... er-package
aren't there about a million yoga dvds? what makes one good?

cimes
Sgt. Major

Post by cimes » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:38 pm

Simple stuff -

Keep running 2-3 times per week. Participate in an organized run every 2-3 months. Registered for 5k this month, and will plan on a 10k by early spring since I'm committed to doing the Falmouth 7 mile in August and would like to average an 11 min mile pace.

Dropping into the 150s - Weight loss has been slow but down 55lbs since October 2014 and I'm fine with 1 lb or so per month on average.

Compete in a KB meet or 2 - 16kg or 20kg for fun. Plan on using KB or barbell 2-3 times per week presses, squats, ect - but nothing crazy at this point.

Work is going to be busier this year. So, staying consistent with running is at the top of the list since I can get it in while traveling.

CI
"I predict that within the next couple years he will author a Dragon Door book possibly with Pavel called "Return to the Kettlebell"" -Sandman on Rant

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:50 pm

1. Lifting

Squat - 240kg / 530lbs
Bench - 155kg / 341lbs
Deadlift - 280kg / 616lbs

All @ under 210lbs bw

2. Read a minimum of 50 books but aim for 100.

3. Shoot a 480/600 on a Portsmouth Round indoors, bare bow.

I've also got a couple of financial/work/personal goals.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:52 pm

Sharing your goals....

http://www.psych.nyu.edu/gollwitzer/09_ ... tions_.pdf

I stumbled upon this when i was 18. I went from being typical HS kid, atheltic-ish, eat whatever I want etc..to workin g two night jobs,I put on about 25 pounds. Decided to start running. Was so embarrassed about how terrible I was at running, I committed to tell no one what i was up to until I could run 10 miles. It took 3 months. In the ensuing year I went from 210 to 142, completely changed my body from one type of physique to another. Couple years after that I began endurance racing in earnest, first with a couple MTB races then moving on to the road, then track. All of these goals I let "settle" in my mind; percolate for a bit before sharing. Be selfish, keep secrets, build the wall brick by brick...tell what you did, not what you're gonna do.

Lesson learned, don't tell people shit. Go do what you think you want for 3 months and then tell them what you've been doing.

More of same for those that prefer vid, to the text.

https://www.ted.com/talks/derek_sivers_ ... o_yourself

and....quick read.
http://psych-your-mind.blogspot.com/201 ... goals.html
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:01 pm

dead man walking wrote:
Turdacious wrote:Since yoga popped up in this thread a few times, FWIW David Swenson is running a 30% off sale. Moar yoga is one of my goals this year, and his 'Short Forms' DVD and 'Ashtanga Yoga practice manual' are both excellent. https://www.ashtanga.net/collections/th ... er-package
aren't there about a million yoga dvds? what makes one good?
It's direct (no fluff), you can do it quickly, and structured well. It's more advanced beginner level than beginner. The book is spiral bound, so it lays flat. It does a good job of running you through various progressions and the photos are all useful. If you're not already really good at yoga, you need the book. You can get it through Amazon for a little cheaper probably, but Swenson is one of the few goorus that I don't mind supporting directly.

YRG is my go to yoga (especially Stand Up and Strength Builder), but Short forms is the only alternate I use.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

newguy

Post by newguy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:12 am

JimZipCode wrote:
newguy wrote:This little encouragement actually feeds the ego enough that the initial motivation ... is diminished because it feels like I am already accomplished. My goal is achieved. I am reinforced and happy.
I get that. But it seems to me the flip side is - my stepdaughter wants to cut down on her caffeine dependence, before she goes back to college. I typically do the grocery shopping, or I'm out running an errand and txt the wife to see if she wants something from Starbux. It's useful that *I* know about stepdaughter's goal, so I can buy caffeine-free Diet Coke instead of regular, or refrain from tempting her with a latte, or whatever.

I don't have the answer. Who knows.

But here is something I've seen - there is a world of difference between saying you want to do something because you genuinely want to do it vs. saying you want to do something because you are looking for the validation from people for saying you want to do something because it is a socially acceptable goal.

And the tricky thing is you don't even really know if you are setting a goal because it is the goal or if you are setting a goal because you want the reward of setting the goal.

Best practice is most likely to just shut up and do the things you need to do reach whatever goal you have set.
"When I was little, my father was famous. He was the greatest samurai in the empire. And he was the Shogun's decapitator. He cut off the heads of a 131 Lords. It was a bad time for the empire."

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:06 am

Really important goals should not be made public.

terra

Post by terra » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:48 am

Why?
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:14 am

Perhaps different things work for different people?

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:35 am

Beer Jew wrote:Perhaps different things work for different people?
No, that doesn't sound right.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:52 am

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:57 pm

=D> =D>
JimZipCode wrote:
No, that doesn't sound right.
=D> =D>
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:48 pm

Not as often as you'd think. The things that make
People comfortable may be different but the pattern of behaviors that make people successful don't vary to much.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill